Speaker sizes

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

hamncheese

Speaker sizes

Postby hamncheese » Tue May 15, 2012 6:55 am

Anyone know the sizes of the speakers on a 07 Pathy with Bose w/o Navigation. I count 10 but not sure of all the sizes without taking everything apart. I'm looking just to replace the speakers for now. HU another day. Has anyone just changed the speakers, maybe you can give some input and/or pics of your install.

Here's where my speakers are:

2 on the dash (I think they are 4 inches)
2 on the front doors (6 x 9?)
4 on rear doors (6? and a 2 inch tweeter?)
2 subwoofers in rear panel (these I know and I'm pretty much stuck with these unless someone can recommend, keep in mind, they are shaped differently....Bose made it that way)

Also, I believe there is an amp underneath the drivers side and the speakers might be 2 ohms, so can I install 4 ohm speakers or am I stuck having to buy 2 ohm speakers?

By the way, I called Crutchfield, the experts, and they seem to not be aware of the tweeters on rear doors or the dash speakers. Shame because I was ready to buy from them.

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Your subwoofer speakers are 1-ohm impedance speakers. Bose is famous for using 1-ohm and 2-ohm speakers in their systems. Using 4 ohm speakers, which are most of the current aftermarket speakers available, will damage the factory amplifier. For a good explanation, read the info at this link:

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Speaker sizes

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 am

hamncheese wrote:Anyone know the sizes of the speakers on a 07 Pathy with Bose w/o Navigation. I count 10 but not sure of all the sizes without taking everything apart. I'm looking just to replace the speakers for now. HU another day. Has anyone just changed the speakers, maybe you can give some input and/or pics of your install.
As mentioned, don't replace just the speakers without also replacing the head unit and amp. I don't have any of the info with me here at work, but did you try looking in the service manual that is linked to on this site? I believe I still have my '07 brochure at home, so I can take a look in that as well.
Here's where my speakers are:

2 on the dash (I think they are 4 inches)
2 on the front doors (6 x 9?)
4 on rear doors (6? and a 2 inch tweeter?)
2 subwoofers in rear panel (these I know and I'm pretty much stuck with these unless someone can recommend, keep in mind, they are shaped differently....Bose made it that way)
The 2 on the dash should be tweeters, and definitely not 4 inch tweeters. There wouldn't be any sense in having tweeters in the rear door, and I thought there were only 2 speakers in the rear door. As to the sub, I would still pull off one of the drivers, take it to a store and see if I could closely match it up with something. It might involve cutting off some of the metal trim, but then you could at least install them where the old ones were.

I'll have to take a look at mine today and see how many speakers I come up with & where they are.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Looks like 2 tweeters on the dash, 2 "cough" larger speakers in the front doors (knowing Bose, the frequency range is far from a typical full range, maybe closer to a mid), 2 tweeters in the 2nd row doors, 2 larger speakers in the 2nd row & the sub in back.

hamncheese

Postby hamncheese » Thu May 17, 2012 5:58 am

NVSteve wrote:Looks like 2 tweeters on the dash, 2 "cough" larger speakers in the front doors (knowing Bose, the frequency range is far from a typical full range, maybe closer to a mid), 2 tweeters in the 2nd row doors, 2 larger speakers in the 2nd row & the sub in back.
Thanks for the info, guess I won't be replacing the speakers until I decide to replace the HU and amp as well. Thanks for your help.

gond34

Postby gond34 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:09 am

NVSteve is dead on... The only thing that I will add, though, is that the tweeters for some crazy reason DO integrate with aftermarket products. They have a plug that will connect to a dual speaker plug available at most aftermarket stores. I thought I'd give it a shot and replaced all my door speakers and plugged the factory "tweeters" in and they still worked. I installed high pass filters on them as well to be safe, but they're still working and it's been over a year now.

hamncheese

Postby hamncheese » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:41 am

thanks for the info

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:57 pm

here's one option you could do without -replacing- the head unit and factory amp....

you -could- take the speaker level outs from the factory amp, run them through line level converter, then run them to a couple (one main, one sub) amps, and then to new speakers (ditch the factory sub and add an aftermarket). it's not efficient or pretty, but i think it could be done. this is the method i keep considering as i want better cleaner louder volume out of mine.

Return to “R51 Electrical”