Intake Manifold Spacer

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

goblue90

Intake Manifold Spacer

Postby goblue90 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:49 pm

After reading lots of positive reviews about the WRP intake manifold spacer (http://www.wperdigon.com/products_frontier_vq40-003.htm) on various Nissan Frontier forums, I decided to take the plunge and get one installed in my 05 Pathy.

Here are the before/after dyno results (note, my baseline includes a Volant CAI and Gibson exhaust):

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:11 pm

Very interesting, thanks for the great before and after dyno testing. The longer runners should improve velocity for higher RPM power, but the dyno showed the opposite, odd, not sure what to make of that, but great none the less that there was a measureable improvement.

Gray

Re: Intake Manifold Spacer

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:07 pm

goblue90 wrote:After reading lots of positive reviews about the WRP intake manifold spacer (http://www.wperdigon.com/products_frontier_vq40-003.htm) on various Nissan Frontier forums, I decided to take the plunge and get one installed in my 05 Pathy.

Here are the before/after dyno results (note, my baseline includes a Volant CAI and Gibson exhaust):

I'm probably missing something from my view, what is the left side of the graph measuring?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:10 pm

The Y axis is either HP or Torque pending on the color of the lines.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:33 am

Dear GoBlue90-

I had also seen a great deal of enthusiasm for this over at the Frontier site when I was recently researching exhaust systems.

I am wondering what you think of this mod. Can you feel it? Was it worth the $ to you? Was installation relatively easy? Would you do it again?

Thanks

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:05 am

bbermann wrote:Dear GoBlue90-

I had also seen a great deal of enthusiasm for this over at the Frontier site when I was recently researching exhaust systems.

I am wondering what you think of this mod. Can you feel it? Was it worth the $ to you? Was installation relatively easy? Would you do it again?

Thanks
Yes, I can definitely feel the difference in low/mid-range torque. I didn't do the install, but it doesn't seem difficult to do at all. It seems that most of the individuals who've installed this on their frontiers have done so in approximately 1 hour.

I think it's definitely worth the money and would absolutely do it again.

cvsir7turbo

Postby cvsir7turbo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:15 am

Did you notice any difference in your idle or any other unliked differences? I'm amazed that something that minor could have such a great performance increase and that nissan wouldn't improve the intake manifold from the factory. (sounds too good to be true so what is the neg side of the spacer)

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:06 am

cvsir7turbo wrote:Did you notice any difference in your idle or any other unliked differences? I'm amazed that something that minor could have such a great performance increase and that nissan wouldn't improve the intake manifold from the factory. (sounds too good to be true so what is the neg side of the spacer)
No differences in the idle nor other unliked differences. General consensus from folks who have installed this in their frontiers is that this is a great mod! The dyno provided by WRP Technology also shows huge gains in low-mid-range torque.

One problem recently arose when after removing the IMS to trouble shoot a high oil pressure (not related to IMS as he's still experiencing this) problem, a guy on clubfrontier.org discovered that the gaskets had hardened and became brittle... I may pull mine off in a month or check on the gaskets.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:59 am

THANKS !! I have been looking at that for a while now , after seeing it advertised in Nissan Sport ..... Looks like some really nice low to mid gains !! That will be my next mod for mine ...

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am

i've read that dyno results are skewed based on engine temperature... that is a colder engine will produce better dyno results. i.e. higher HP and better torque.

i assume that the 1-1/2 hour time delay between runs was the time it took you to do all the install work for the new manifold spacer. during that time your engine cooled down, and when you ran it the second time it was probably at a much cooler temperature than the original run.

while there is probably a performance gain with the spacer, i am hesitant to believe that you picked up 50+ ft-lbs at low rpms. i guess im just a natural pessimist

any way to do a dyno run with the same conditions as the initial run you posted? i.e. did you drive the truck into the shop and onto the dyno after 30 minutes of actual driving... with a nicely warmed up engine?

not trying to cause problems, just trying to figure it all out.
~mike

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:13 pm

MonkeyMike wrote:i've read that dyno results are skewed based on engine temperature... that is a colder engine will produce better dyno results. i.e. higher HP and better torque.

i assume that the 1-1/2 hour time delay between runs was the time it took you to do all the install work for the new manifold spacer. during that time your engine cooled down, and when you ran it the second time it was probably at a much cooler temperature than the original run.

while there is probably a performance gain with the spacer, i am hesitant to believe that you picked up 50+ ft-lbs at low rpms. i guess im just a natural pessimist

any way to do a dyno run with the same conditions as the initial run you posted? i.e. did you drive the truck into the shop and onto the dyno after 30 minutes of actual driving... with a nicely warmed up engine?

not trying to cause problems, just trying to figure it all out.
~mike
No problems MM, you bring up a valid point. The after dyno was actually the 4th "after" dyno we ran so the engine should've been nice and warm. The "before" dyno pull was the 3rd and the vehicle had been sitting around for a couple hours before that, so the engine temps should've been very close.

I, too, was skeptical about the gains others reported after installing this spacer, but after 1) watching the dyno runs, 2) seeing the results, and 3) driving my Pathfinder after the install, I'm a believer.

Visit the performance section of clubfrontier.org to read up on what others have said about this IMS. Hope this helps.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi GoBlue, have you noticed any fuel economy improvement with the spacer installed. Thanks.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:23 am

goblue90 wrote:No problems MM, you bring up a valid point. The after dyno was actually the 4th "after" dyno we ran so the engine should've been nice and warm. The "before" dyno pull was the 3rd and the vehicle had been sitting around for a couple hours before that, so the engine temps should've been very close.

I, too, was skeptical about the gains others reported after installing this spacer, but after 1) watching the dyno runs, 2) seeing the results, and 3) driving my Pathfinder after the install, I'm a believer.

Visit the performance section of clubfrontier.org to read up on what others have said about this IMS. Hope this helps.
thanks for clearing that up... and with that, it looks like a nice, relatively cheap way to get a lot more low end power out of this engine.

one of these may be in my future.

~mike

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:27 am

Greybrick wrote:Hi GoBlue, have you noticed any fuel economy improvement with the spacer installed. Thanks.
Hi Greybrick,

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary (either decreases or improvements in fuel economy). I have, however, been mashing the accelerator a little more! :D

highaltitude

Postby highaltitude » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:07 am

Similar product available! PM me for details, or see for sale thread.:D

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”