Suggestions on where/how to mount values for air bag kit

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Oly 22

Suggestions on where/how to mount values for air bag kit

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 pm

After reading a number of post on air bag lift kits and that I do tow, I will be ordering an air bag lift kit. I have seen two pictures of the location of the values and am not sure I want to mount them on the rear fenders and I do not have the 7 pin adapter plate. I am looking for photos and suggestions on where to mount the values. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oly

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Mine are installed on the rear bumper underneath...

Hope that helps.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Yes, thank you. Any issues with the location? I cannot think of any reason but thought I would ask in case you have run into something?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 am

It's actually not my favorite location. I purchased the pathfinder used. When I recieved my airlift kit, I then went to install it and found out there was already a kit on the pathfinder. So i aired them up and they seem to be holding. However, I don't like that location as much because if I'm out off-roading, and take a dip or climb something, I'm afraid my angle my hit the bumper and tear them off. It has not happened yet, but I'm still looking into another location.

cgray

Postby cgray » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:24 am

Here is what I did to mount my air lift valves. Basically I took a metal bracket that had holes drilled in it already, cut it in half, enlarged the holes so the valves could fit through, and then painted the 2 halves to avoid excessive rust. Then I sandwiched the oval shaped hole in the frame with those brackets putting one on top of the frame and one on the bottom. I used the double nuts provided by air lift to clamp the 2 brackets together with running the valves through the oval shaped hole, putting one nut and star washer on the top half and the rubber washer and other nut on the bottom.. I could have done a little better job and re drilled the holes in the original bracket to be straight vs. the diagonal that they are now, but it is under the truck and it’s never going to be seen by anyone but me (and now all of you, lol).

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:09 am

I crawled under the truck and now know exactly where you mounted the values. You are right, no one will ever see them there, except all of us. :wink:

Thanks again for your help, forums like this are great, it helps newbies like me a lot.

wfburton159

Postby wfburton159 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 am

I put mine in the rear toolbox area like in the other thread. I think it will be pretty slick and I wont have to crawl underneath to air them up.

Tzvier

Postby Tzvier » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:01 am

This is where i put mine...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:29 pm

I like the look of that. Very clean. The only concern I'd have is if you have the cargo area full prior to adding air. I know you should always add the air first then fill the cargo, but there's always that time you forget.

Tzvier

Postby Tzvier » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:18 am

volvite wrote:I like the look of that. Very clean. The only concern I'd have is if you have the cargo area full prior to adding air. I know you should always add the air first then fill the cargo, but there's always that time you forget.
That's actually a problem i ran into last week. Went down to MS and back to SLC picking up kids and cargo along the way... It wasn't too bad, I just had to pull a few bags out to check and fill. If you had something bigger then I would make it a priority to ensure they are properly inflated before loading.

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:35 am

My Valves are installed on the 7 Pin electrical outlet.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:41 am

Installed my Coil-Rite air bags yesterday. Here is where I mounted the valves. i removed the supplied chrome valve caps and put on standard black valve covers to be more discrete. I figured since I have to plug the the trailer into the four pin connector on the driver's side, why not put the air valves in a similar location.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:58 am

on the first pic, i thought your bumper was chrome :shock:

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 am

No, just a really nice sunny day and a good coat of wax. 8)

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Nice. I like that location. It's not hanging low off the bumper but still hidden enough.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”