Push Bar/Bull Bar Options for Our PF? Ideas?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

OurPathfinder

Push Bar/Bull Bar Options for Our PF? Ideas?

Postby OurPathfinder » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 am

I know this topic has been talked about off and on in other forums, but I am curious if those bull bars off Ebay are any good? The prices are in the $160-$200 range for a steel bull bar--and all I want to do is mount lights to them and use them as a precautionary measure for silly parking lot people. What are your thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 49513&rd=1

geoffstgermaine

Postby geoffstgermaine » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:49 am

I understand that they don't really offer much protection and in some cases can cause additional damage from being bent up into the grille. Perhaps someone with experience with them has further insight.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:00 am

"Beautiful laser engraved Logo will come on this Bull bar's Skid Plate."

Interesting. I wonder who actually makes it? I'd love to have a look at their website, if they have one.

I've never had one of the tubed bull bars, but I have had numerous solid steel/steel plate bull bars on prior vehicles. Having it mounted to only the front 2 tow hook mounts is not the greatest though. There wouldn't be any kind of support for the thing if you hit something with it, and I'd imagine it would bend into the grill quite easily.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:17 am

NVSteve wrote:I've never had one of the tubed bull bars, but I have had numerous solid steel/steel plate bull bars on prior vehicles. Having it mounted to only the front 2 tow hook mounts is not the greatest though. There wouldn't be any kind of support for the thing if you hit something with it, and I'd imagine it would bend into the grill quite easily.
you are correct. basically they mount way low under the bumper (i know i have seen it somewhere), and if/when you hit something, the entire bar will pivot and smash your bumper, grill, radiator, etc... doing way more damage than they prevent. basically, they would need additional supports (above the bumper) in order to stop them from pivoting on the lower mounts when a load is applied.

these are all show, they provide no protection.

Westin Install PDF

Bull Bar Crash Comments

~mike

To0lB@G

Postby To0lB@G » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:19 pm

I think I agree with the doing more damage. sorry to kinda hijack your thread here dont want to clutter the board up with kinda the same questions. I seen this on ebay and wonder if anyone has feedback on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-F ... enameZWD1V

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:11 pm

To0lB@G wrote:I think I agree with the doing more damage. sorry to kinda hijack your thread here dont want to clutter the board up with kinda the same questions. I seen this on ebay and wonder if anyone has feedback on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-F ... enameZWD1V
Pretty much the same thing. At least the same concept: 2 mounting points under the bumper where the tow hooks attach. Shrockworks and ARB are certainly the way to go, if you don't mind spending the money.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Sadly it's the equivalent of strapping a shopping cart in front of the truck for protection. Most products out there are to look cool and tough. good rule to go by: If you can get it for a CRV or a Rav 4, or anything in the Mazda line it's purely cosmetic and offer no protection outside of tall grass.

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:34 pm

So.... essentially, I'd be better off mounting some rectangular driving lights in that space under and to the right and left of the license plate?

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:13 am

OurPathfinder wrote:So.... essentially, I'd be better off mounting some rectangular driving lights in that space under and to the right and left of the license plate?
If installing lights in that opening on top of the bumper they would be just slightly higher than the fog lights and might not be of sufficient height to be very effective as driving lights imo.

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:03 pm

Greybrick wrote:If installing lights in that opening on top of the bumper they would be just slightly higher than the fog lights and might not be of sufficient height to be very effective as driving lights imo.
Correct.. It would light up the ground just ahead of you (especially when driving on roads with many small hilltops, like here in norway), making your night vision worse.

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Then if putting a bull bar or a grille guard isn't the way to go as the mounting points will cause damage to the front of my vehicle if something hits the front of my PF, then where am I supposed to mount aftermarket driving lights? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:25 am

Hi OurPath, it probably depends on what size of driving lamps you plan on installing, but I would probably go inboard of the headlamps in the rad grill. Here are a few really small HID aircraft landing lights that look interesting. Have a look at the comparision between them and 75w halogen;

http://www.creativair.com/landing-lights-p-91.html

http://www.creativair.com/landing-lights-kits-c-21.html

XeVison has some small footprint powerful HID landing lamp solutions as well;

http://xevision.com/

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:12 pm

Not a bad idea with the Aviation lighting. However it's a little out of my price range. So I got on www.harborfrieght.com and found some HID driving lights for $180. I'll check them out and let you guys know what I think. Thanks for the information!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”