How much is too much for brake repair

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

agco187

How much is too much for brake repair

Postby agco187 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:51 pm

so i took my 05 pathy into the shop today to have the brakes done since we're goin on a road trip this weekend..

i have no mechanic ability but i was thinking i just needed new pads but the guy wants to do a lot more..

The front pads are 3/32 and 4/32.

Here's what he's doin for the repair:
- new brakes
- turn the rotors (he said "cut the rotors while on the wheel?? not taking them off and machining them")
- flush the brakes
- replace the hardware (said it was causing uneven wear)

he wants to charge $375 for the whole job and doin this on the fronts only.

am i getting overcharged?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Better to get new rotors. I got mine for $40 a side. Pads are another $35.

They take about an hour to put on, so do the math.

Though as a price, probably competitive with the dealer.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:30 am

To do it the right way, you should always install pads on a new or resurfaced set of rotors for proper break in. Nissan recommends resurfacing rotors using an on-car brake lathe, which machines the rotors parallel with the hub. New harware is typically a good idea and most premium brake pad set will come with new shims and slide plates. Cost depends on a number of factors, including shop labor rate and the price of parts and the quality of those parts. The original equipment pads are ceramic type and you should stick with that. Last type I priced a set of genuine Nissan front pads for an R51 they were around $100. I ended up getting a set of Akebono Ceramics from Rockauto.com for a lot less, but keep in mind that your mechanic is getting parts from a parts store, as opposed to online, and has to make some money on the parts. I'm not necessarily sold on the brake fluid flush if he's not opening the system, but it is a good thing to do every couple of years to get any possible moisture out of the system. One thing I will advice is to spend the money for premium pads; cheap pads tend to squeek and make a lot of dust, which usually end up covering your front wheels. For price estimates, you might try this site: www.repairpal.com/estimator

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”