Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac tires?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

XiBowhunter

Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac tires?

Postby XiBowhunter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:24 am

I saw a set of Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac at Sam's Club the other day, in the size I need for $735. I have read that these tires are a Wal-Mart/Sam's Club exclusive tire, so I couldn't get many reviews to come up about them.

Has anybody ever heard of these tires or seen them in action?

Would that be a decent price for an A/T 265/75/16 tire?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 am

I'd pull up a pic and compare to other Michelins on tirerack.com They likely are exclusive to sams/walmart but they're likely very similar to another tire. Sears does this as well. That's how they have "guaranteed lowest prices" on their products..nobody else sells that model so nobody can beat their price!

XiBowhunter

Postby XiBowhunter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:07 am

Here are a couple of pics of the Armortracs. They aren't as aggressive as I would like, but I think they will get the job done:

Image[/img]

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 pm

What's the job? Doesn't look like any current goodyear...kinda like a cross between a Silentarmor and an SRA. I don't trust wal-mart as far as I can throw them and haven't shopped there in three years. So no ringing endorsements from me.

XiBowhunter

Postby XiBowhunter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 pm

skinny2 wrote:What's the job? Doesn't look like any current goodyear...kinda like a cross between a Silentarmor and an SRA. I don't trust wal-mart as far as I can throw them and haven't shopped there in three years. So no ringing endorsements from me.
The job is farmwork, hunting, and fishing. I just recently had to sell my ATV, so until I get another one, my Pathfinder will have to do that job as well.

I have also read that these tires were used mainly on highway patrol SUV's that may have to go off-road in their daily duties.

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:10 pm

I just picked up a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's and like them. Discount tires price on them was $750 installed. I got LT265/75R16 load range C.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I've had very good luck with Coopers as well and they offer some fairly agressive treads and good prices. I go off-road quite a bit for work but also drive 25k a year on-road, so I get by with a highway tire. But if I went back to an A/T I would look closely at the Coopers. I would think with some shopping around you could find a good deal and my guess is they'll do a better job than these Goodyears. I've bought a couple new trucks that came with Goodyear and they never impressed me.

XiBowhunter

Postby XiBowhunter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 am

cgray wrote:I just picked up a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's and like them. Discount tires price on them was $750 installed. I got LT265/75R16 load range C.
I had the AT3's on my Z71 and I never felt like they were aggressive enough for what I do. Although I never got stuck anywhere I used them, they just seemed not to grip as well as I would like, but it might just be all in my head, LOL. They tended to spin in tall, wet grass in the fields I have to drive in where the Cooper Discover S/T's I had didn't.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:43 am

Well obviously an AT isn't going to get around like a full traction tire like the ST. The fact you didn't get stuck says a lot about your driving ability though...there's two ways to look at this: If your goal is to just get muddy and have fun pushing the boundaries....then get a very aggressive tire and live with the poor on-road performance. If you're really just trying to get into a field or a log/camp road there are usually ways to drive around the worst parts and get where you need to go. I drive mining roads regularly and can get around fine even with the highway tires. Yeah they struggle a little and you have to find the right spot to cross but it works. Plus I can go 80mph down the highway and fly through the curves on the back roads without much drama. In the ice I'll take the highway tires over the more aggressive traction.

I don't see those Goodyears being any more aggressive than the Coopers, maybe less given the corner blocks of the Cooper.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:01 am

My Bridgestone Dueler REV02s have seen their fair share of offroad adventures. Lots of deep snow, muck, and general shennigans in long grass. They've been decent.

I've got about 40000km on them now, and although they have a bit of a wobble at low speeds, the tread on them is rock solid. I always seem to have issues with tires developing wobbles on vehicles with independent suspension in the rear. Tried to get an alignment last time, but the adjustment bolts are frozen, and will require a replacement of the rear lower arms to get them free. $1000 I don't have right now so I suffer with poor tire wear.... :) The alignment wasn't that far off.

t

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:38 am

I have been looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Armortracs for my son's Frontier.

street use only for him...reviews say they are quiet, give a smooth ride and handle wet pavement well.

anyone run these tires?

dawgn86

Re: Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac tires?

Postby dawgn86 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:22 pm

XiBowhunter wrote:I saw a set of Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac at Sam's Club the other day, in the size I need for $735. I have read that these tires are a Wal-Mart/Sam's Club exclusive tire, so I couldn't get many reviews to come up about them.

Has anybody ever heard of these tires or seen them in action?

Would that be a decent price for an A/T 265/75/16 tire?
XIBow

I bought a set of these this weekend for my son's Frontier. 265/70/16 at Sams for $709.00 drive out the door. Goodyear has a $60 instant rebate. Took them less than an hour. Price includes road hazard, lifetime rotation and balance and for the first 3 years, they will come out and change your flat tire 24/7. Has a 60,000 mile life. Street driving only for him and I read alot of reviews of how quiet they are and how they have a good grip on wet pavement. So far, I am impress with them...I have never see the Armortracs in any other store and I think Sams has them exclusively.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Dawgn,

Howd these tires end up holding up?

T

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Terry

They are holding up great! Only about 5 thousand miles, but quiet and smooth. Handles well on wet roads and we have had a very wet spring and summer in GA. No off roading with this truck.

So far, still impressed.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Look great, enjoy!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”