Rigid Industries Dually D2's installed. . .

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

motorkas

Rigid Industries Dually D2's installed. . .

Postby motorkas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:41 pm

So this has been on the list ever since I took my first drive at night in the Pathy (I was amazed at how God awful the headlight and high beams were).

Had my indy shop do the install. . .

I know this isn't the best representation since it was still light out but (all shots were in the car taken about 20 yards away from the back of the garage)...

No lights

Head lights and fogs

High beams

ONLY the D2's

Look at the garage door on the right hand side of the pic - these things are 3x3 inches - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Once the safari basket goes on - DEFINITELY throwing on a light bar. . .Can't wait for it to get cold so I can justify the big tires that are coming!!!!!!!

motorkas

Postby motorkas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Just went out and did quick night pics - it's actually even more dramatic than the pics show. . .

Low beams and fogs:

high beams:

Low beams, fogs and D2's

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Wow, those things throw out a lot of light! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've got a pair of the same lights that I'll be mounting on my roof rack facing backwards. I just have to get off my but and install them.

motorkas

Postby motorkas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 pm

I try to DIY as much as possible but in case you're feeling lazy - my guys are in Alexandria, Va off of Eisenhower Ave - they specialize in German cars but the owner's family has owned Pathfinders since the 80's so he actually loved the fact when I rolled in with the new Pathy. They did the install with the D2's (also they let me use their lift and even helped me install the AirLift kit as well). I live in Montgomery County, MD about 2 miles away from a MB dealership and I go to Alexandria to get my 55 serviced (and all the aftermarket stuff for the Pathy) if that tells you anything about their work:).

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:29 am

Looks to be quite impressive. Which beam did you go with? Now that I have my mount built into my grille, I've thought about switching out the Hella Magics for something stronger. I'm pretty satisfied with them but it's an easy swap out...just don't forget to turn off your highbeams when a car is approaching. With that much light you may end up with another car in your lap.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:59 am

motorkas wrote:I try to DIY as much as possible but in case you're feeling lazy - my guys are in Alexandria, Va off of Eisenhower Ave - they specialize in German cars but the owner's family has owned Pathfinders since the 80's so he actually loved the fact when I rolled in with the new Pathy. They did the install with the D2's (also they let me use their lift and even helped me install the AirLift kit as well). I live in Montgomery County, MD about 2 miles away from a MB dealership and I go to Alexandria to get my 55 serviced (and all the aftermarket stuff for the Pathy) if that tells you anything about their work:).
Thanks Motorkas. I work near that Indy shop so I may check them out. Btw, nice bikes! Are those a Monster and RC51 that I spy?

motorkas

Postby motorkas » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:27 am

skinny2 wrote:Looks to be quite impressive. Which beam did you go with? Now that I have my mount built into my grille, I've thought about switching out the Hella Magics for something stronger. I'm pretty satisfied with them but it's an easy swap out...just don't forget to turn off your highbeams when a car is approaching. With that much light you may end up with another car in your lap.
I went with the "driving" - these things are definitely STRONG - I almost put them in my grill (also considered mounting on top of the bull bar) because I wanted to get maximum light production but after seeing how they lit everything up from the lowest position, I'm quite impressed. If you mount them in the grill, it's going to be even more bright (which honestly, with our lights is not necessarily a bad thing:).

Yeah - I'm going to have remount the switch - I had them do it under the plastic under the steering wheel so if I ever decide to sell it, there's no damage done but I'm going to move the switch a little more to my right and closer to me (they custom fabricated a mounting bracket that can be attached to the screw point in the dash so it should be be easy to do). As much as I love the light - I'm very concious of those coming in the other direction because, as you said - don't want them in my lap (and having it be my fault to boot).

motorkas

Postby motorkas » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:32 am

goblue90 wrote:
motorkas wrote:I try to DIY as much as possible but in case you're feeling lazy - my guys are in Alexandria, Va off of Eisenhower Ave - they specialize in German cars but the owner's family has owned Pathfinders since the 80's so he actually loved the fact when I rolled in with the new Pathy. They did the install with the D2's (also they let me use their lift and even helped me install the AirLift kit as well). I live in Montgomery County, MD about 2 miles away from a MB dealership and I go to Alexandria to get my 55 serviced (and all the aftermarket stuff for the Pathy) if that tells you anything about their work:).
Thanks Motorkas. I work near that Indy shop so I may check them out. Btw, nice bikes! Are those a Monster and RC51 that I spy?
Definitely check them out and tell them I sent you (my username is the same on the different forums). They do most of the AMG's in the metro area - great work and they don't try to bend you over.

Thanks!!!!!! Yeah - I'm a sucker for twins - the RC-51 spends most of it's time on track and the Monster is for the street (it's the S4RS so it can keep up in the twisties with most bikes).

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:52 am

motorkas wrote: Definitely check them out and tell them I sent you (my username is the same on the different forums). They do most of the AMG's in the metro area - great work and they don't try to bend you over.

Thanks!!!!!! Yeah - I'm a sucker for twins - the RC-51 spends most of it's time on track and the Monster is for the street (it's the S4RS so it can keep up in the twisties with most bikes).
I ended my sportbike days in 2002...had a VTR1000 for the street and an R1 for the track. Now I satisfy my speed thrills in my Jaguar STR and offroad fun in the pathfinder. :D

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 am

Did you have them wired to come on with high beams? That's what I did to make it alot more convenient. I should have mounted my switch somewhere away from everything as well since I never switch them off. I used one of the blanks on the left side of the dash. Worst case I could just buy a new blank.

motorkas

Postby motorkas » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:40 am

goblue90 wrote:
motorkas wrote: Definitely check them out and tell them I sent you (my username is the same on the different forums). They do most of the AMG's in the metro area - great work and they don't try to bend you over.

I ended my sportbike days in 2002...had a VTR1000 for the street and an R1 for the track. Now I satisfy my speed thrills in my Jaguar STR and offroad fun in the pathfinder. :D
I just can't quite let it go with the bikes, but I've been riding ALOT less on the street as I get older - the worst thing that happened was my brother picked up a s1000rr so now he's always calling me up - "can you do this track day here". . .we're going to Keith Code at VIR in two weeks, then he's already got me to committed to Thunderbolt and Lightning and Summitt Point after we get back. I actually drag race the benz (full bolt on's and custom dyno tune - conservatively putting out 500hp to the wheels - we rent out MIR all the time in the winter - Force Induction plus cold air:) - fastest I've gotten her is 11.2 at 124mph - let me know if your interested and I'll keep you posted - it's usually 100.00 per car and you can run as much as you want - longest you spend staging is about 5 mins and one lane is for street tires while the other is only for DR's - LOVE any R type Jags. . .). I will say this - those bikes - best you could have had for both applications in 2002!!!!!!! We may have to meet, or at least start chatting because I do want to take the pathy off road (starting with low difficulty and working my way smartly up - been doing a lot of research on tires - really wish I could find a FUNCTIONAL bull bar without having to replace the front bumper - may have to eventually have something fabricated. . . .

motorkas

Postby motorkas » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 am

skinny2 wrote:Did you have them wired to come on with high beams? That's what I did to make it alot more convenient. I should have mounted my switch somewhere away from everything as well since I never switch them off. I used one of the blanks on the left side of the dash. Worst case I could just buy a new blank.
They're wired straight to the switch - only reason was I didn't know how much light input would be coming out and I have to see if I can see the on-coming headlights at night so I wanted the dedicated switch for now - once I get comfortable with them, I may spice them in - that's one of the reasons I love forums in general (and this one in particular) - getting road maps and ideas from the other members is just invaluable!!!!! I thought about the blank (for the same reasons but I wanted something closer to my hands that was comfortable). Once I switch it around I'll take pics (it's going to be about a week since I have to go to Cali for work and don't get back until Friday).

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”