P0455 Vent control valve

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

martyf250

P0455 Vent control valve

Postby martyf250 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:50 am

2005. my ses light keeps coming on and off and finally has stayed on. I pulled the vent coltrol valve off again and cleaned it out. i could not get it back in with the o-ring on so i caulked it and put it back in. the light bstayed off for 100 miles and then just came back on. is there a way to bench test this with a battery? Any other ideas before i buy a new $100+ part?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Vent control valves are normally open until 12v and ground are applied. To test, you can remove the valve and blow through it. Apply ground and power to the appropriate terminals and you should not be able to blow through it. There's always the possibility that there is something other than the vent control valve causing the concern, but they are the most common culprit. P0455 is not necessarily a vent control valve, but a code indicating a large leak detected in the evaporative emissions system.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:16 pm

there is s vent kit to be added on, and an updated VCV if it is in fact a VCV issue. Also, check the cannister for mud build up inside. If you replace the valve again (which should definately have the oring) without looking at the cannister, it'll just keep failing. It's one bolt to take it out, but you may have to drop the spare first.

I'd check the valve as described in the above post before replacing. The new (updated) style as of a couple years ago has more of a metal body. I've also just recently seen a rash of evap hoses collapsed. First time in all my years with Nissan.

Return to “R51 Electrical”