Stereo Identification confusion and options (long... sorry!)

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

[email protected]

Stereo Identification confusion and options (long... sorry!)

Postby [email protected] » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Hello, I'm Nico , I've been searching though this forum and the internet in general and come up with a thousand solutions that just dont seem to fit the system in my car. Sorry for how long my second post is!!

Basically I'd like to retain as much of the factory functionality as possible and add the ability to listen to/ control an Ipod, and be able to play DVD or media through the sat nav screen. I've seen a fair few devices which claim to be able to interface with the video by sitting on the connection between the nav and screen and then using a switch to alternate between the two. After reading up on the video device I found that it has no way for audio and relies on an AUX or FM modulator. I then did tons of research on the AUX (including forum threads here where manual connections have been made and factory devices or aftermarket adaptors or even CD changer connections) and as a result I cant find a way to acheive it on this head unit, it doesnt even have a standard antenna connection! and the pin outs dont seem to match any others that I've seen on forums or diagrams

Ok so here are the details on the car, I have a 2006 (mid through the year) Pathfinder Aventura Right hand drive (UK - Europe). It has 6 disk CD changer, steering wheel control, Sat nav and Screen, Bluetooth handsfree etc see image below...

As you can see from the image below the unit is a clarion (not the bose as I expected....

Another thing I note... The stereo unit has no Sat/ Radio options, no rear AV or AUX as other users have described...

The Steering wheel control has no "mode" option but has "voice control" and "source" instead.

The image below shows the rear of my stereo unit. This unit is mounted behind the CD slot and has cables to the front panel controls etc. It should be noted that it seems the changer and HU are all the same unit with no external connections

This image shows the main connector (largest to the back of the HU)

This is the Sat NAV DVD located under the (right hand side) drivers seat...

This is the rear of the Nav DVD

This is from the USA quick reference guide and shows the buttons on the cars there which are totally different from the UK ones.

So based on this info I have the following questions...

1) does anyone here have this stereo with this stereo configuration and if so were you able to obtian an AUX or ipod control?
2) although my stereo is different to the Bose ones, does anyone know if the DVD player unit is the same? (so I can decided weather to buy the video out)
3) Can anyone recomend a location for diagrams/ pinouts for this stereo
4) can anyone identify this stereo or put me straight about the differences in European or USA stereo models?

Ideally

1) I'd like to get an IPOD cd control input to provide sound and be able to use control through the stereo
2) Fit a switch and be able to change to a DVD/ external video source through the main screen and have the sound delivered through the aux
3) not loose the ability to flick a switch and get all standard functions
4) avoid FM modulators unless directly cabled

Any help would be really appreciated... I've spent 2 weeks searching and going round in circles!!

[email protected]

Update on my findings so far!

Postby [email protected] » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:56 am

For anyone with any of these questions in the future (or present) I've managed to track down a fair few answers by excessive internet hunting, asking different dealers etc... I'll sum it up below...

1) UK 2006 (and some 2007) cars have 3 different stereo options and none are Sat radio ready, the controls are the same format dash links as the USA ones but the buttons on the dash and steering wheel are different. The connectors are different to the USA, be wary when ordering harness from USA or UK as many uk people stock the USA connectors (since we seem to have obtained this in our models in 2008)

2) There is no Audio input at all in the loom (with the exception of voice over from the sat nav which mixes in so no use for AUX)

3) there are 2 video feeds which share the same connection/ channel from the sat nav and reversing camera. You can connect into this between teh nav and the factory screen but it requires a manual switch to be integrated into your dash and you cant get the sound into your car without FM modulation.

4) Bluetooth cant be made to support audio streaming.

5) the Antenna is amplified (as it is in the USA) and requires modification or harness for a direct feed for FM Modulator (not the best!). There may be some variation here depending on if your antenna is in the rear windows or a stubby!

6) The UK got a rare petrol V6 version (rare in the UK) which has yet different connectors again!

7) The Navara (UK pickup version) has the same connectors as the UK pathfinder and has the matching console panels.

As a result of these findings my new plan is to go fully aftermarket, I plan to replace the Dash board section with the stereo with one from a navara or pathfinder which has the double din openening (instead of the nav installed). and for the top section (where my current nav screen is) Im going to buy the garmin dock and modify it to support my tom tom etc) I'll then sell the factory stereo, nav screen and nav dvd. A harness should allow me direct connection into the car and also into the steering wheel controls however I may have to replace the reversing camera and potentially the hands free microphone for bluetooth calls... not sure yet. Additionally I'll be able to either fit headrest screens or a flip down screen from the rear and utilise some of the wiring from the overhead docking connector (in the rear light module) hopefully giving me a factory install look and feel with more capability.

My advice to people in the UK/ Europe wishing to get AUX/ or Ipod integration from a 2006...

1) FM modulator
2) change the stereo
3) Put up with MP3 CD's

If you find anything that says it can do it... check the connectors! if you find one that can do the job please let me know... good luck!

hooliganshark

Thanks Nico

Postby hooliganshark » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:09 pm

@Nico

Thanks for the very helpful post. I am in the same situation and looking for a cheap and cheerful solution for music in my UK Pathfinder. Mine is an O6 SVE with the same head unit as yours.

FM modulation really sucks as a solution - too much interference. But clearly you have done your homework. I am not up for replacing the head unit though.

Would be interested if you made progress with your plans or can share any more details. Thanks again.

[email protected]

update

Postby [email protected] » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:24 am

At the moment I'm sourcing all the Dash parts required for the change from Nav to Double Din, I've been watching ebay and autotrader looking at cars with the correct parts then used their license plates to find the parts from Nissan but unfortunatly the 3 parts I need cost over £450 inc VAT!

So as a result I'm going to try to source them from a breakers which shouldnt be too hard considering all the different vehicles I can get them from (navara etc). but its a time consuming project!

Once I have the dash parts I'll be putting in a double din stereo, probably the kenwood DDX-6021BT and then fitting a Mimics touch interface adaptor allowing me to control Ipod apps on the screen which should be quite impressive as a solution. As far as Navigation goes I'll be getting the Nissan Garmin mount and fitting a Tom Tom into it as I've never liked factory or stereo based nav systems anyway.

The one part of the factory installation I'll be re-using will be the steering wheel controls and the reverse camera.

Its a huge project, I never really wanted to go the whole hog but if I'm going through some effort it may as well be for everything I'd want from the system. That said, if I play my stereo on the road loud enough for long enough the whole audio piece stops working until I re-set it by turning the engine off and on again. I believe this is the amplifier over heating and tripping out so I guess I have my motivation to go ahead with it all anyway! Plus I love the truck and will be using it in winter for trips to the alps so I guess it will pay for itself over the amount of use I get out of it!

I gave some consideration to another method.. once the 3 dash pieces have been swaped (5 minute job) there are technically 3 din slots (one double din and one single above the 4x4 controls) I could put in a relatively cheap (but functional) single din stereo (£120-£140 ish) which supports AUX in. then install something like this...

into the double din slot (I could potentially do this with the existing dash top part but would still have the buttons below the radio doing nothing) and as a result audio would be through the speakers from the ipod touch (or ipad), control would be through the touch screen for ipod and audio control through the stereo or steering wheel with bluetooth from Iphone to the stereo for calls (with voice calls available from the steering wheel). The only down side being that the system requires an Iphone as well as an Ipod (ipad) because the connection to the control screen is bluetooth... and the ipod would need to be Jailbroken to accept the driver...

The youtube video below shows the screen interface in action, you can buy them with a screen ready to fit or fit them to almost all 4 wire touch screens yourself...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-q23YXb ... ontext-cha

The only other method I could think about was to upgrade the factory stereo to a later model, this way I'd not have to change dash parts and could utilise ipod inputs etc but its still lots of effort sourcing and then re-wiring it.

Seems the 2005 and 2006 european cars with the Nav system dont have any flexibility and the Americans got lucky by having Sat Radio and rear AV as a factory option and therefore an available input.

Depending on what ever I decide I'll post my results here in the future with my findings about the re-wire (shouldnt be too hard, lots of the scary connections just go between dash buttons and sat nav and screen adn steering remote... take most of it away and your down to speaker out, live, remote, speed sense, reverse etc. I'm going to find a harness that fits the connector and build my own configuration from that so I dont butcher the loom... I'll probably have to wire past the factory amp though as it will be a pain otherwise and from what I can tell.. the door speakers are 2ohm and will need replacing (or creative wiring) to make them work well.

after reading that I bet the FM modulation is starting to sound better now?? :-)

[email protected]

cheapest way

Postby [email protected] » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:39 am

I didn't ask what you wanted to achieve... is it a better system, louder, ipod connectivity etc?

Other than FM modulation I cant see/ find a way of getting ipod (or other external audio) into the system without changing the head unit or adding another head unit and splicing into the amp wiring somehow.

Our head unit is supposed to support MP3 CD's however... I've never tested it.

I think you could replace the door speakers and factory amp and improve the sound volume and quality... possibly add a sub etc

Its frustrating as this is the only car I've hit a wall on like this!

hooliganshark

Postby hooliganshark » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 am

Thanks, you are scaring me with the cost and the amount of work! But I admire your vision. I imagine the total cost of your plan will get over a grand?

All I really wanted was to add some way of playing music from some portable device- ipod or phone - for low cost. I assumed that connecting such a device would be straightforward...how wrong can you be.

I have used a Nokia N8 with built in FM transmitter - the phone works ok but the radio picks up lots of interference, and on a trip, every so often you have to spend ages retuning. I imagine this would be the same with all FM based solutions?

Although the car was bought in the UK we live in France now and all options here are really expensive. My friendly local mechanic - who is pretty inventive -said I would need to replace the whole head unit. As that was too expensive I looked around on the net, and came across your post. I found eg this which claims to be compatible:

http://www.carputer-shop.co.uk/nissan-u ... h-kit-p-45

but if I understood you correctly, the head unit does not have a separate CD changer port? I imagine all the devices on ebay and elsewhere require such a port?

Your post was really helpful and has probably saved me a lot of wasted time and money. Its pretty frustrating! Especially since the satnav is useless as well! But I love the truck otherwise, and it would be great to have some decent music.

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 am

Yep you started on the same road as me, I'd be happy ish with external audio, and very happy with the ability to control like a cd (ie next folder etc) but its jut not going to happen!

The grom unit you found is one of many options that will get you excited and dissapoint later. By all means check behind your dash because there are variations out there (although mostly between continents) but every sat nav version seems to have a single unit which is the whole head unit and cd changer all in one. The models down from ours have a single head unit and changer all in one too but they atleast are sat in a double din dash!

There are other misleading options out there too... like factory ipod leads etc (but they all connect to factory looms that are only fitted in the usa like DAB radio etc)

I find france the worst for FM modulation there are so many radio stations and you can cover so much ground in a short amount of time that your forever tuning and re-tuning. All modulation works like that unless you spend a fair bit on a physical modulator that plugs into the aerial port however the connection to the antenna on our stereo is non standard (usually a phono type coaxial (cant remember the correct name) ) but ours is 3 black wires on a rectangle plug, could maybe figure out those connections and make an adaptor but dont think it would improve it enough to bother.

I honestly cant think of another way and I've spent hours of searching and phone conversations!

I am pretty sure I can complete teh whole change out for sub £900 and you could do it with less functionality for much less probably £500 ish assuming the parts for the dash can be found from a breaker.

The pathfinder is my work horse and holiday car so I'll be keeping it for some time, making tons of long distance trips in it and if anything I'll change it for another or a navara later when I need to so its an ok investment for me I guess... but one I wish I didnt have to go though :-)

[email protected]

small update

Postby [email protected] » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:52 pm

I seem to always have problems with searching for our car no matter what it is... search on 2006 pathfinder and unless its the Bose system (double din no sat nav) you cant find anything or what ever you do find is wrong...

as a result I've since determined that a 2007 navara search or even a 2007 nissan quashqai produces the correct adaptors.. this is true for stereo connections an for aerial adaptors...

This image below is the quashqai stereo and its actually the same as ours in terms of the clarion unit power it!

ImageImage

Anyway, i've now decided to ditch the change the stereo plan and have returned to modulation. I'm currently ordering adaptors that allow me direct FM modulation into the stereo we have. I'll put a switch into this so that when its active it will disable connection to the actual antenna and should give me a solid signal being directly connected

I've also ordered a module which should allow me to put video into the factory screen and I'm ordering a mimics module and touch screen overlay so in the end I should be able to have my ipod touch mirrored onto the factory screen and direct control over it from the touch panel without loosing any of the factory functionality.

The whole plan now is adding up to less than £500! and apart from some power connections, its more or less plug and play! I'll post an update later

hooliganshark

Postby hooliganshark » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:32 am

This sounds like a great plan - much more cost effective.

I didn't realise till I read your post that wiring in FM modulation with a switch would allow you to switch out the antenna - brilliant idea. Presumably this would eliminate the interference problem where the radio picks up other stations when you want to listen to the ipod?

With the switch mounted somewhere accessible eg the glovebox, FM modulation then becomes an easy solution.

Can you share the info to the suppliers of this stuff - I would follow your example on this. If I understand you correctly these are standard components so pretty straightforward?

[email protected]

info

Postby [email protected] » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:37 pm

yeah not a problem with the sharing of info, If you are not in a hurry you may as well hold off and see what my results are like before you invest any cash and effort.

This is the antenna adaptor, I checked with my physical unit and its a perfect match, its often listed as a nissan adaptor or Quashqai 2007 or navara 2007 (the pathfinder 2006 will get you the wrong connector) note the 2 cables to allow each connection to be grounded!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350399848111? ... 1497.l2649

This is the FM modulator, it has a built in noise supressor, its very cheap as this guy seems to be clearing stock but this model had good feedback from my local car audio shop, I figured its cheap enough to risk before spending cash on a more expensive unit if needed!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221135230258? ... 1497.l2649

This is the Video injection unit for the Nav screen, it sits inline between the nav and the screen, it has 2 video inputs (one reverse camera and one switch-able composite) however we dont need the reverse camera so I'll use it as a normal input and if I wire a 12v feed to the switch connected to the reverse line on this unit I'll be able to have a second switch-able input.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261104116678? ... 1497.l2649

This is the DVD unit I plan to buy... its capable of media playback on SD, USB and DVD etc... I'll be mounting this vertically in 1 third of the centre console or under the passenger seat if I cant go with the first plan for what ever reason.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270641793744? ... 1423.l2649

This next bit will wait a short while and if the above (already ordered) is successful and good enough quality I'll be going with this immediately after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-q23YXbFl8

I've stuck this youtube link up as it will detail easier than me typing about it but the basics are that on a JB Ipad/ Ipod or iphone you can install a driver which allows a 4 wire touch screen controller to manipulate the i device. Our screens are not touch screen but an overlay can be fitted and they cost about £20!, the module costs about £130...

http://www.customgadz.com/store/categor ... category=2

Its not all roses though, this device uses a bluetooth connection to the i device for its control (automatically activated by the software driver once the i device is connected to the video out cable). The down side to this is that if you use an Iphone for media playback and want to control it on this screen it will mean you cant use the bluetooth to the phone system on the car so I beleive only the use of a JBroken Ipod touch or Ipad is worth docking with the system and then connect an iphone (or other bluetooth phone) to the pathfinder normal stereo hands free kit.

I'll probably add a read screen or 2, I have 3 options and they all seem to cost the same... option 1 is a pair of head rest screens, option 2, a flip down monitor, option 3 a fold out arm rest monitor that stores away where the rear heater controls are... not decided here (and can connect to any from the extra output of the multimedia interface...)

once this is all done I'll look at upgrading the factory amp (or removing it) and possibly replacing speakers in the doors.

One thing to note: the prices for all items on ebay are available as a best offer, since me and a mate are both doing this in our cars (I'm doing both cars :-) ) I'm negotiating on all prices and getting good results so if and when you buy any stuff look around and barter!

hooliganshark

Postby hooliganshark » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:17 am

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful. First I plan to go with the FM modulator and antenna adaptor - that would be enough for me to connect an ipod and control music on the device, I suppose? Can always add more later, if the sound quality is ok. Let us know how you get on!

[email protected]

latest update

Postby [email protected] » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Ok have been plugging away in spare time and thought it was time for an update.

I tried an FM modulator (and antenna adaptors x 2!) and had problems but turned out to be a crappy unit (cheap off ebay) and after dropping it by accident while it was playing it cleaned up the sound... so I threw it out and got a decent one (by a company called Veba)

Although I got it from a local shop you can buy them at decent prices online and after looking about seems like the same unit supplied by "scosche" in the usa.

anyway, I'm very happy with this unit, even connected to 2 adaptors it makes a sound that I'm more than happy with and about as good as you can get without digital direct connection. Further to that, when playing I set the stereo to scan for other stations and found none so no interference! following that I flicked the off switch and instantly all stations are available, it does a great job of blocking all signals as long as you dont mount the antenna input and output close to each other! (4 - 5 inches apart is fine!)

[email protected]

update continued

Postby [email protected] » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm

additionally to this I purchased an "X-CarLink" device that allows input of a video device (composite) through the factory screen. I've read on another thread here that there are problems and never actually seen anyone acheive it in the UK since all the harnesses are made from a USA spec pinout and as usual its totally different! even the screen is totally different!!

anyway I have a good grasp of electronics and since its a composite signal I see no reason why this wouldnt work if it had the right connections and after chatting with the company who supplied them we came to an agreement that I can cut one of the looms up that I have and use it to figure out the correct connections, if I was unsuccessful he would refund me anyway and if I was successful I'd provide the pinout and he would have correct harnesses made up from the place he buys them in from.

Well I managed to get it working after an afternoon and evening of testing and logical elimination and I'm very pleased with the results!! I'll be fitting the DVD player tomorrow then waiting a while.. when the correct harness comes through I'll switch out my botched one and then hopefully the mimics and touch screen overlay will be shipped and ready to be fitted, following that I'll be adding an arm rest screen for the rear which can fold out the way and provide a seperate viewing source for rear viewers or match it with front ones...

anyway, pretty happy with progress... tired... but happy :-) will post pics or a vid when I'm done, maybe a tutorial as I found a few neat 12V sources and ground points in the centre console or off from the screen etc.

hooliganshark

Postby hooliganshark » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:32 am

Thanks for the update - congrats on getting it working.

I followed your example and bought the cheap modulator off ebay - I guess this is the one you had to replace? Was it completely useless? I had it delivered to UK so I havent seen it yet, but it was so cheap.

Where did you mount the modulator and switch - interested in where you would recommend.

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

the ebay unit was fine when it was working and terrible when not... could just be the two units I got from a bad batch however they crackled constantly until the car was warm or until I messed with the insides which suggested dry joints on the unit.

I mounted mine under the cup holders in the centre console, put the switch in the arm rest next to the 12v socket

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”