The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Yellowstone and a few others

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> Roaaad Trip!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NVSteve
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Yellowstone and a few others Reply with quote

The parents are in the midst of making the move to Tucson, so I had to forgo any overseas trips this year so I could help. A couple of weeks ago, we headed out to Craters of the Moon National Monument, followed by 4 days in Yellowstone. Drove back to Salt Lake & headed out the next morning for Flaming Gorge for another 3 days, this time kayaking and rowing.

These are all taken with a new camera I'm still testing to see if I really want to keep it.

Craters of the Moon:

Truly the ass end of nowhere. And quite hot in the summer.

Lots of lava tubes & lava created caves to explore, both on the trails & off.

Afternoon moon.

Yellowstone:

Looking out at the Grand Tetons. I made a number of panoramas, but they were too massive to view on a screen, and shrunk down to fit won't do them justice.

All the traffic was stopped & the roads were blocked. All one can do is fall in line with the rest of the tourists and take a typical tourist shot.

The obligatory Old Faithful shot.

We had enough time to stop at every single stop/roadside attraction in the park. I was impressed with this one of a petrified redwood tree. Hard to imagine redwoods once covered so much of the west.

We only had time to take one hike off the beaten path. Only about 6 miles, but a backcountry ranger we met on the trail said grizzlies were spotted in the area only a couple hours before. Armed with 5 seconds of bear spray each, we pushed on.

Flaming Gorge (the Utah portion of it):

She rowed, I kayaked.

Hanging out on the porch of a cabin we stayed at.

On the way back to Salt Lake, we stopped & had a look at Fort Bridger, Wyoming, for a few hours.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pictures.
thanks for sharing
mar1
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply stunning! Cool
volvite
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Nice pictures. I've been to most of those places and everytime I visit them again, there's always something different. I'd say keep the camera, those pictures are outstanding.

Jon
What did you do to your Pathfinder thread:http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=71760#71760
leadpig

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb pictures. It's been over 20 years since I last was in Yellowstone and these remind me why I should go back. But now I feel old!
NVSteve
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd say keep the camera, those pictures are outstanding.

Thanks. I'm still kind of torn with the camera because the lenses available are all pretty slow, which means I have to use some of my other fast lenses which are fast, but huge on the camera (camera is the Olympus E-M5). I might keep it for backpacking/hiking, then also pick up a nice full frame or APS-C DSLR. One of the problems with the Oly is that it uses an electronic viewfinder, which I do not like whatsoever. But, it is small & weather resistant, which is my chief requirement.

Quote:
Superb pictures. It's been over 20 years since I last was in Yellowstone and these remind me why I should go back. But now I feel old!

I know the feeling. Last time I was in Yellowstone was about 12 years ago (pre-digital for me, meaning crappy pictures scanned from slides). But, that's more intentional than not, because I am just not a fan of massive crowds in natural settings. Still, it is one of those parks that is absolutely worthy of a visit. And I have to say that sleeping in 40 degree weather was a fantastic change from all the heat we've been having.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> Roaaad Trip!!! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: