2003 Pathfinder Throttle Position Sensor Location

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

TVoigt

2003 Pathfinder Throttle Position Sensor Location

Postby TVoigt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am

Hello, I need to either clean the contacts or replace the TPS on a 2003 Pathfinder, however I can't locate it...I hear its under the gas pedal maybe? Still am having a hard time seeing it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or show a picture of one maybe? Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 am

If you are going to replace the TPS, make sure you go by the factory service manual procedure or TSB regarding proper adjustment and relearning the closed throttle position. The TPS is located on the throttle body. Here's a link to a pic of one:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... n%20Sensor

TVoigt

Postby TVoigt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 pm

I have looked everywhere on the throttle body and it simply is not there, and this is the part I'm coming up with every time I do a search for the TPS. Any other ideas?

TVoigt

Postby TVoigt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Oops sorry this is the link to the part I'm coming up with...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... n%20Sensor

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Sorry. I checked with ALLDATA and you don't have that type of TPS. On the 2003, it has a "throttle by wire" system and the TPS is part of the throttle actuator assembly and it is not serviceable, other than to replace the entire throttle body, Nissan P/N: 16119-AL60A, which MSRP's for $695. Instead of a conventional throttle cable, it uses signal input from an accelerator pedal sensor. Replacement of the throttle body requires an idle air volume relearn afterwards.

Dogg

Re: 2003 Pathfinder Throttle Position Sensor Location

Postby Dogg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 pm

TVoigt wrote:Hello, I need to either clean the contacts or replace the TPS on a 2003 Pathfinder, however I can't locate it...I hear its under the gas pedal maybe? Still am having a hard time seeing it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or show a picture of one maybe? Thanks!
Were you able to make the repair, or did you have to replace? I have 2003 SE with tps issues and I have been searching for it for 2 days... The repair guide I have says its there, but I also cannot find it.

If you paid for repair, what was cost and from where did it come?

Thanks...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:16 pm

The TPS is part of throttle actuator assembly, since it's a throttle-by-wire system. It's not serviceable and you have to replace the entire throttle body if you want to replace the TPS.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:38 pm

smj999smj wrote:The TPS is part of throttle actuator assembly, since it's a throttle-by-wire system. It's not serviceable and you have to replace the entire throttle body if you want to replace the TPS.
For all those scared of the price, the O'Reilleys near my house has the throttle body for $118 + $38 core + tax.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 am

smj999smj wrote:The TPS is part of throttle actuator assembly, since it's a throttle-by-wire system. It's not serviceable and you have to replace the entire throttle body if you want to replace the TPS.
Changed the throttle body, and the problem persists... any ideas anyone?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 am

Exactly what problems are you having? Are there any stored codes? Did you relearn the IAV after installing the new throttle body? Did you erase the codes and self-learning before performing the IAV relearn?

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:43 pm

smj999smj wrote:Exactly what problems are you having? Are there any stored codes? Did you relearn the IAV after installing the new throttle body? Did you erase the codes and self-learning before performing the IAV relearn?
When I accelerate quickly, the car stalls. So long as I accelerate at a slower than normal pace, it's fine. But it will not accelerate fast enough to merge onto an interstate.

The code it was throwing was p1130. I did try to relearn the IAV after I reinstalled the throttle body, but I did not reset the codes beforehand (i do not have a computer myself, but can take it to autozone. I will try that if you think it will fix the accelerator issues, then relearn the IVA

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:22 pm

P1130 is a trouble code for "SWIRL CONTROL VALVE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE." A bad TPS "could" through this code, but so could a number of other things. I would suggest you get the FSM diagnostic procedure for the P1130 code and follow that to isolate the problem. The swirl valve is a set of butterfly valves in the intake runner that affect the velocity of the air to promote better fuel vaporization and create a swirl affect in the combustion chamber. The swirl valve is also the part that many VQ35DE-powered R50 owners have had screws back out of and fall into the combustion chamber, ruining their engine in the process. It could be worth removing the upper plenum and making sure the screws are tight on the swirl valves.

Tele4Mongo

Postby Tele4Mongo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Not sure why the 2006 TPS is being referenced in this 2003 Pathfinder question. I need to know the same answer.

Can someone note a picture where the Nissan 2003 Pathfinder TPS is located?

Thank you so much!

James

GTMtnMan

OLD thread! Need some knowledge or advice!

Postby GTMtnMan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:18 am

So I am seemingly have the exact same issues on an 03 pathfinder with the 3.5.
Has also thrown the swirl control solenoid code. Mild acceleration, lets say up to about 10-15%, she pulls accordingly. Beyond that, more pedal means quick shut down of fuel delivery and no more throttle response. I was leaning towards the TPS as well, but with the throttle sensor under the pedal, I am intrigued for both. I have the TPS in sight, but that apparently does me no good with it being unserviceable.

-I dont have an FSM for this vehicle as it is a job I am doing to help a friend in need.
-No wiring diagram to help me test the TPS
-How would the p1130/swirl control relate to what is seemingly a TPS issue. Even the backing out of screws on the valves doesnt seem like it would aid in this throttle issue.
- I know its old, but by chance, does anyone know if the OP resolved the issue?

Thanks all.. New to this forum, although I am a member of many others. I hope to be able to chat with some good knowledge on this topic/pathfinder

Heavy hitter

Postby Heavy hitter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:02 am

https://forums.nicoclub.com/dreaded-p11 ... 18804.html
start by reading through this thread. fsm for this vehicle can be found here
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2003_Pathfinder/

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”