replaced rear sway bar bushings

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

replaced rear sway bar bushings

Postby doctahjones » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:35 am

looks like the probably didn't need to be replaced, but for ~$3.50 each and ~5-10min per side, why not?

doesn't seem too much different, except the 'bulge' at the bottom of the new one (on the right)? not sure why they'd do that, unless it was to put more pressure on the bar?

takes a 14mm socket if I remember correctly. just two bolts per side

when i went to put the mount back on, it would not line up with the hole, and just lightly tugging on the sway bar was not doing enough.

so i used the breaker bar to help get it back over so i could thread the bolt

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:40 am

just fyi after doing some driving...

so when i replaced the front bushings (http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15) it made a -huge- difference in stiffening up the body roll, and when i did these rears it made a pretty good dent too.

now when cornering at high speeds i feel like the car is more likely to go up on two wheels rather than roll over, if that makes sense

cgray

Postby cgray » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:35 am

Nice work and great write up. It will be added this to my todo list if it is that easy.

Where did you get the parts from, the dealership?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 am

it really is that easy. i would suggest a breaker bar to get the bolts lose, it's just easier. otherwise i guess you could just he-man a regular ratchet and get them free. also i live in texas, so i don't have any kind of corrosion under there, ymmv.

and yeah i live just down from courtesy nissan (home of courtesyparts.com), so i just order online and go pick them up. funny because if you don't order online first the prices are about 50% higher at the counter.

and if i had to choose between putting airbags in or doing these bushings, i think i'd have to go with doing the bushings (all 4) because the improved handling really is a huge difference.

cgray

Postby cgray » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 am

yeah I noticed the price hike on parts vs the online price when I had to replace a side mirror a month ago. Over 20% cheaper to get the online price vs the counter. I got bags for towing and to help out the weak factory springs.

I have noticed a lot more body roll after installing the lift so I am hoping these bushings will help me out with that.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:32 pm

cgray wrote:I have noticed a lot more body roll after installing the lift so I am hoping these bushings will help me out with that.
ok good, so it wasn't just me then. it did seem like it got alot worse after the lift. and i promise it's a night and day difference, especially if you do all 4 at once. i bet you'll be taking it slower around corners for a few days as you learn it's new "breaking" points after you change them out :)

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 am

Did you replace them with just new OEM bushings?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:29 am

yeah, just oem ones from courtesyparts.com. didn't know what diameter to get in the poly versions, plus i have no idea how you'd get those on if they don't really flex.

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Parts on order, should be in by Saturday. Got all 4 on order so hopefully I can tell the difference right away.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 pm

cgray wrote:Parts on order, should be in by Saturday. Got all 4 on order so hopefully I can tell the difference right away.
immediate night and day difference...especially if you've never done them on your '06!

i still want to redo my endlinks...probably order those today myself

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”