New part number?

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

2006 Silver Frontier

Radiator part number

Postby 2006 Silver Frontier » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:51 pm

In the top post from RacerZX it says "Also, Nissan hasn't even started using a new fixed part number radiator, so for all we know even the newest trucks AND THOSE THAT WERE FIXED will die eventually too. The ONLY proper solution is for Nissan to fix the radiator, release it as a new part, issue a recall, and replace owner's radiators and inspect their transmissions."

I believe you are correct that Nissan needs to recall all of the affected vehicles and replace the radiators before they fail. I am not so sure that you are exactly correct on the part where you say "Nissan hasn't even started using a new fixed part number radiator". The new trucks have a new radiator part number and there is another new part number if you are one of the unfortunate ones to experience the strawberry milkshake transmission disaster. The new Nissan part numbers are supposed to be upgraded parts with more structural integrity. Not sure using Nissan and integrity in the same sentence is not an oyxmoron.

Do not get the wrong impression I think the way Nissan is handling this beyond shameful.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Not sure if the new part # was out when RacerZX made his post back in March. Supposedly the updated radiator was released under the old "EA" number and later the part number was changed to a "9C" number, so, unless you have the "9C" number, there is no way of telling whether you have the updated radiator or not. Also, just because you have the old number, it's doesn't necessarily mean you "will" have a problem with the cooler, but who of us wants to gamble our transmissions on that "possibility?" Nissan says it's only a few vehicles that experience the problem, but the NHTSA has already received well over 200 complaints and anyone who Googles "Pathfinder transmission failure" can see that it is a problem that's affected more than just a couple of hundred vehicles. Nissan claims it's not a safety issue...and maybe for the majority of occurances, it's not. But if you're stuck in city traffic somewhere and the trans quits, how is this not a safety concern? Who wants to be stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel or on the Golden Gate Bride during rush hour traffic? Nissan used to take care of its customers, especially those who own their "big $" models like the Pathfinder or 300ZX's or Maximas, but I guess those days are no longer!
Last edited by smj999smj on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:41 am

So what is this new part number? Can somebody send me a picture, or maybe find the URL on courtesyparts.com?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:22 pm

The new part number is: 21460-9CA2E.

Here's the part diagram:

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... cture=true

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 am

Where on the radiator is the part number stamped/stickered so we can direct people on how to check if they have the updated part?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Mine has a sticker on the top of the tank, towards the right side of the engine bay.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm

x2. On my 2011, the sticker is on top of the tank on the right side. Silver with black print.

That being said, the part number on mine is 21460 9CA0E. Would this be the part number on the radiator, for a new(er) built vehicle and the 21460 9CA2E for a replacement radiator?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Oly 22 wrote:x2. On my 2011, the sticker is on top of the tank on the right side. Silver with black print.

That being said, the part number on mine is 21460 9CA0E. Would this be the part number on the radiator, for a new(er) built vehicle and the 21460 9CA2E for a replacement radiator?
THat I can't tell you. All I can say is that if you have the 21460-EA215 or 21460-EA265 part number, you likely have the radiator that has been prone to failure of the cooler tube. I say "likely" because, from what I've heard, that some of the updated radiators were released under the 21460-EA215 part number before they changed the number to the "9C" series. I should also add that this problem seems to be limited to those built in the US. The radiator cooler issue doesn't seem to be a problem in the Pathfinders built in Spain.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:11 pm

This is the sticker on top of my 08 V8 radiator.

rpevans1

Calsonic radiator part number on 2010 le 4x4

Postby rpevans1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi guys my radiator shows a part number of 214609BA1A. when I looked it up it said that part was superceded by 214609BAOE.

halcyon026

Postby halcyon026 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Is the updated radiator the only thing that needs to be replaced or are there certain hoses that should be added, eliminated, changed to a new hose, or routed differently?

I'm curious what all I should check for when the mechanic says he's done everything Nissan says needs to be done. As of now, I'm being told only the radiator has to be changed, no hoses are changed, & there is no routing difference.

Thanks guys!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

halcyon026 wrote:Is the updated radiator the only thing that needs to be replaced or are there certain hoses that should be added, eliminated, changed to a new hose, or routed differently?

I'm curious what all I should check for when the mechanic says he's done everything Nissan says needs to be done. As of now, I'm being told only the radiator has to be changed, no hoses are changed, & there is no routing difference.

Thanks guys!
it depends on why the radiator is being replaced..........
why is the radiator being replaced?

halcyon026

Postby halcyon026 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 pm

eieio wrote: it depends on why the radiator is being replaced..........
why is the radiator being replaced?
As a preventive measure.

My question is geared towards the idea that there is a specific known issue with the radiator that fails, causing an internal leak where the coolant mixes with transmission fluid & can ruin the transmission.
I'm not clear on what all is involved in that failure, exactly which parts fail, what needs to be by passed, changed, re-routed, etc. to avoid that known failure.

Hopefully that makes sense.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 pm

for a preventive measure, the new radiator is all that should be necessary
what's the year & mileage?

halcyon026

Postby halcyon026 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:13 pm

eieio wrote:for a preventive measure, the new radiator is all that should be necessary
what's the year & mileage?
05, 70k miles.

Just double checking that some hoses don't need to be re-routed or anything like that also. :)

Thanks

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”