Help, please. Need advice re. timing belt issue.

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

QuietMan

Help, please. Need advice re. timing belt issue.

Postby QuietMan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:25 pm

My '97 Pathfinder's timing belt snapped recently. I know, I know. I've done some reading since then, and I am preparing for the worse.

But before I make some major decisions, I thought that it would help to definitively know if the valves/pistons are affected.

So I asked two mechanics if they could: 1) open the engine; 2) replace the snapped timing belt with a new one, and; 3) run a compression test.

One mechanic said that he could that, but the other one said that it would be cheaper to replace water pump, tensioner, seals, etc. while the engine was open... perchance the compression test rolled a snakes eye and I lucked out. He (the second mechanic) said that you would have to open the engine up again to replace those parts if the compression test produced favorable results, which means more labor, which means more dolleros.

Which mechanic would you be inclined to put your trust in?

Thanks, in advance, for helping me to clear up my state of confusion.

QM

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:26 pm

Well, since I can hardly but expect the valves are toast, the end result will be nearly the same for both paths, since you're going to want to replace those extra things as you do the final button up of the refreshed motor regardless.

That being said, what were the circumstances of the failure?

QuietMan

Postby QuietMan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:17 am

I'm inclined to agree with you. Just wanted confirmation of the same.

I'm looking at JDM engines to replace the current one in my Pathfinder.

It may be the easiest and more cost effective remedy.

As for how it happened, simply neglect.

My ex was driving it, at the time.

It's now back in my hands, and I want to give it the TLC that it deserves.

Thanks again.

QM

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:25 pm

Driving it on the road? Then it's toast, forget it. If it was like idling at a stop light and suddenly died, maybe you could get lucky, maybe, but if there was load from the drive wheels forcing the crank around after the belt broke then that's all she wrote. Sorry man.

Be careful with JDM motors, I've seen their ilk in the 300ZX arena and they can have issues. Seals that have been left dry for a long time failing, dented oil pans blocking pickup tubes, etc. It's a great option, just do your homework and I'm sure it'll go okay.

QuietMan

*sighs*

Postby QuietMan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

QM

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:47 am

Once the timing belt is appart its only like 5 minutes to put the belt on to be able to run a comp test .... if your ok , then itls another 5 minutes to remove the belt and put it back on after the water pump and seals are done ! You dont have to put the whole thing back together to do the comp. test !

But I will say ... I have never seen a VG break a timing belt an not damage at least the valves , I have seen valves broken off and shoved into the pistons when they break .... so I doubt you will get lucky ....Only chance is if you have an auto. and you were going very slow when it went !

Return to “General Automotive”