New 2013 Owner

Any topics related to 2013+ R52

Moderator: volvite

lawfarm

New 2013 Owner

Postby lawfarm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am

Just checking in...I've put about 1,500 miles on my 2013 Pathfinder. It's a Platinum with the premium package--pearl white with a tan interior. I wasn't planning on getting the premium package (or the other things this one has--mud flaps, lighted door sills, etc.), but the dealer had it on the lot (literally right off the transporter), and made a good deal, so it happened.

So far, I'm very pleased. It's averaging 23mpg to date (hand calc'd), with a mix of city, interstate, suburban and rural driving, with the AC off (it hasn't been warm). It drives great in all weather conditions I've had--noticeably better in cross winds than the VW Tiguan I had previously.

I've seen the extensive criticism on here of the Pathfinder and the new direction it's gone, and I totally get that. Years and years ago, I had a fourwheeling background. I had a 77 CJ5 that was a complete frame-up, with a firebreathing 304, front/rear lockers, 35s, spring over axle, yada yada yada. Frankly, my needs now are different from what they were then. I looked at the Pathfinder because of the redesign; I wouldn't have considered the previous version. So I guess I'm the kind of customer that Nissan is looking for. In my current daily driver, I don't need rugged off-road ability. It'll see gravel roads, farm fields (nothing too extreme) and maybe some doubletrack...but I'm not driving the Rubicon.

I need AWD or 4wd to handle some pretty nasty rural roads I have to drive for my work, year-round. I want decent fuel mileage (on regular fuel) because of the amount of driving I do. I want a very comfortable, reliable vehicle with all of the bells and whistles. Room for 5 adults in comfort, and room for cargo. Decent towing capacity for a single axle cargo trailer. Conservative looks. The ability to fit into any parking garage. Good safety, and good kid comfort. I'll be the first to admit: an AWD minivan would check all of the boxes. I just wanted something a bit...less minivanny than a minivan. The Pathfinder is going to suit my needs very, very well.

So while I'm not a hardcore Pathfinder purist, I'm the kind of customer who was opened up to the model based on the new appeal of its capabilities after the redesign. I'm probably a harbinger of improved sales.

That said, I do appreciate the purist community on here, and understand your reluctance to accept a mall crawler with the name that you dearly love on it. I'm not in any way trying to flame anyone. I've been passionate about a lot of cars and trucks, and accept that you gents (and ladies) are as well--the previous gen Pathfinders were great (I lusted after the triangle window models as a youth)--but they didn't have the capabilities or characteristics that I need.

Anyhow...just wanted to say hello, and offer some explanation (and justification) for what I suspect Nissan is thinking.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: New 2013 Owner

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:41 am

lawfarm wrote:with the AC off (it hasn't been warm).
Pretty sure anytime you run the window defrost, the AC is cycling. In my 2005, you have to actually press the 'AC Off' button to ensure its not cycling.

Something about drying out the cabin air and making sure the windows don't fog up.

t

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 am

lawfarm wrote:Just checking in...
Welcome!
I've seen the extensive criticism on here of the Pathfinder and the new direction it's gone, and I totally get that.
A lot of which is mine. I don't have anything against vehicles in general, it is just when a model is twisted into something that has no similarities with the previous one that irks me. Kind of like Coca Cola screwing up when the tried changing the formula.
So I guess I'm the kind of customer that Nissan is looking for. In my current daily driver, I don't need rugged off-road ability. It'll see gravel roads, farm fields (nothing too extreme) and maybe some doubletrack...but I'm not driving the Rubicon.
Then you are the person Nissan was thinking about when designing the car.
Anyhow...just wanted to say hello, and offer some explanation (and justification) for what I suspect Nissan is thinking.
None needed. It sounds like the car really checks off all the boxes for you, which is all that matters. Thanks for posting up your impressions so far. One question for you: how do you like the engine/power & how well is the CVT handling things?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

very nicely written and welcome aboard.

lets see some pix of your ride, and hopefully you'll be letting us know the ups and downs of the new pathfinder

lawfarm

Postby lawfarm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:37 pm

disallow wrote:
lawfarm wrote:with the AC off (it hasn't been warm).
Pretty sure anytime you run the window defrost, the AC is cycling. In my 2005, you have to actually press the 'AC Off' button to ensure its not cycling.

t
Yup. I'm a bit A/R...so I've been manually turning the AC off when not needed.

lawfarm

Postby lawfarm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:46 pm

NVSteve wrote: None needed. It sounds like the car really checks off all the boxes for you, which is all that matters. Thanks for posting up your impressions so far. One question for you: how do you like the engine/power & how well is the CVT handling things?
We've had a Toyota Highlander Hybrid in the family before, so I'm familiar with CVT operation. That said, it is still an adjustment--in different ways.

If you step on it hard off the line, it doesn't seem very impressively fast--especially the first 15 feet. Since it accelerates smoothly (without defined shift detents), it doesn't feel like it is accelerating quickly...but when you watch the speedometer, you can see that it is moving rapidly. 0-60 in under 8 seconds is pretty easy, even with a gentle-ish start. But while it has good gumption, it doesn't FEEL like it. You've gotta watch the speedometer, or you'll be cruising at extralegal speeds.

On the other hand, when you pass someone, it goes immediately, and with great urgency. The ability to pick a perfect passing gear ratio is a significant advantage--the engine goes to a good spot in the powerband, and the Pathfinder gets down and boogies.

Cruising, the CVT is flawless--it is clearly set to optimize fuel economy in cruising mode, and I'm surprised by how high the final drive ratio is...the engine will just purr along at a relatively low speed, even on the highway.

I haven't towed with it yet...so no answers there.

Downsides? Not too many. I noticed one time, under very light throttle application, that the transmission shuddered a bit around 10-15mph...like it was trying to decide what ratio to shift to. And the hard acceleration from a stop is disconcerting. Not a problem, but disconcerting. In regular driving, it's great. Engine power is more than adequate.

My only real complaint thus far is the traction/stability control. It has a switch to 'disable' it, and when you press the switch, a light on the dash illuminates to advise you that it's off...but it isn't really off. In fact, the nanny quotient is pretty high, even with stability control off. I'm hoping that there is a "stop, press and hold" routine or something that will get a true traction/stability control off mode.

Hayseed_40

Postby Hayseed_40 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:26 pm

lawfarm wrote:
NVSteve wrote: Downsides? Not too many. I noticed one time, under very light throttle application, that the transmission shuddered a bit around 10-15mph...like it was trying to decide what ratio to shift to. And the hard acceleration from a stop is disconcerting. Not a problem, but disconcerting.
Very happy with mine. The two issues so far in the first 3k miles:
1) Same shudder but when you feather the gas in the 35-45mph range. Sucks and will be going to the dealer on the first oil change to fix.
2) Front two door trim is loose and rattles at the back

Something tells me the tires will not where happy.

Other than the above, I have been very pleased with this one. I share the gripes of the purists (this is my 4th Pathfinder) but realized I am old and not an off-roader. I guess I am another person that Nissan designed towards.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:11 pm

lawfarm wrote: That said, I do appreciate the purist community on here, and understand your reluctance to accept a mall crawler with the name that you dearly love on it.

that's my big problem. my issue isn't with the vehicle itself, it's with the name they stamped on it.

it's like taking the mustang name and stamping it on a focus body (and i actually do really like the new focus look).

what i also think is funny, i saw this commerical:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoSDK9CI0oY

which to me screams "look at me!! i'm an offroad vehicle!!!". but isn't that what they're getting -away- from with this redesign?

ziggypup

No Complaints

Postby ziggypup » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 am

Have about 500 miles on the clock with no major complaints. My mom said the Pathfinder needs running boards. She was use to the running boards on my 2010 Armada. It made it a lot easier for her to hoist herself in. My only complaint is the eye glass holder........lol. It will hold a pair of glasses, but not with the case.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 am

Just like my 03 Maxima and 08 Pathfinder, not exclusive to the new Pathy by any means. 8)

Return to “R52 General Chat”