Voltage Problems. Please Help

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: voltage problems...

Postby eieio » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:45 pm

nispath05 wrote:anyway, does anyone know where the voltage regulator is located? or is it build in to the altinator? thanks again everyone.
as disallow wrote in his post, above: "The Voltage Regulator is an integral part of your alternator"

nispath05

Postby nispath05 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Guess what??? Optima batteries do suck.... I put in a diehard gold from my brother's Armada and the car is running just fine.. the voltage is reading 13.7-14v all morning long. I drove about 60 miles today and no issues. Unreal!!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Not related to bad battery issues, but for those that don't know, Nissan uses a voltage sensor built into the negative battery cable on the R51's; if you have it, follow the negative battery cable about 12" from the battery and you'll see it. The sensor measures the the voltage in the cable and sends a signal to the ECM, which controls the alternator charging. If aftermarket accessories are installed, such as big radio systems, lights, etc., it is important to ground these componants to ground points other than the negative battery cable connection at the battery. Doing this will bypass the voltage sensor and can cause charging issues. You can ground componants to the chassis or at the negative cable connection at the engine block or really any ground point that will not interfere with the residual voltage passing through the sensor to the negative post of the battery.

Return to “R51 Electrical”