Ball Joints Replaced on 2008 w/ 72k miles

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

SteveFinn

Ball Joints Replaced on 2008 w/ 72k miles

Postby SteveFinn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:09 pm

A week ago started to get a bad grinding noise when cutting the wheel to the left pulling into a parking space. Also got a bit of a clank when going over bumps.

I had hoped it was the sway bar bushing issue....not so lucky though.

I had to replace the upper link & lower ball joints on the passenger side & the lower ball joints on the driver's side. Did this at a local garage that I trust...with PA inspection/emissions cost close to $500. I didn't have this priced out at the dealer because I needed the vehicle fixed asap.

Anyone else get into changing ball joints or is it just me?

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Just left the dealer I as well need BJ, but I also need struts, a arm bushings, struts

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:51 pm

I could always use a BJ... :D

My 05 still has all original ball joints, tie rods, and sway bar. It squeaks a little going over bumps, but the 'BJs' are still nice and tight, its the sway bar links squawkin.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 pm

disallow wrote:I could always use a BJ... :D
Nice one Terry

vr446

Squeaky Drvr side

Postby vr446 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Question about the BJ's - Do I have to replace the entire upper and lower A-arm? Looking at Nissan's blow up diagram of the front suspension it doesn't show a part# for just the BJ's, called the dealer and they said you have to change the entire arm, but that sounds ludicrous/overkill. So searched online for BJ's and found aftermarket suppliers selling just the BJ. Which is correct?

HISTORY...I have a Squeak coming from driver side when turning the wheel left. Thought it was the sway bar bushings as well, replaced them last night and still squeaking so now moving on to the BJ's

thanks for any guidance with this HORRIFIC sound, makes my Pathy sound like a pile of junk
Last edited by vr446 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canderso

Postby canderso » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Interesting question. I called NAPA looking to get a set of replacement upper ball joints from MOOG. They no longer sell MOOG and the upper ball joint comes complete in the UCA. I thought that was weird and a tad overkill. I haven't started looking again yet as I am considering putting in long travel UCAs from 4x4parts.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:57 pm

lol at bj. yup, i'm still 12 8)

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 am

Pretty common practice to have car part sellers want you to replace the entire UCA just for the BJ.

Same goes for UCA/LCA bushings.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Squeaky Drvr side

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:45 am

vr446 wrote:Question about the BJ's - Do I have to replace the entire upper and lower A-arm? Looking at Nissan's blow up diagram of the front suspension it doesn't show a part# for just the BJ's, called the dealer and they said you have to change the entire arm, but that sounds ludicrous/overkill. So searched online for BJ's and found aftermarket suppliers selling just the BJ. Which is correct?

HISTORY...I have a Squeak coming from driver side when turning the wheel left. Thought it was the sway bar bushings as well, replaced them last night and still squeaking so now moving on to the BJ's

thanks for any guidance with this HORRIFIC sound, makes my Pathy sound like a pile of junk
Control arms are not made like they used to make them. They are very light, and easily damaged. Say like when you hammer out your old BJ and then take your new BJ and try to hammer it into the CA.

All in the interest of weight savings (and aftermarket parts sales opportunities!).

That being said, if you are careful, you can get out your old and install your new BJ without damaging the control arm. But I wouldn't ask a shop to do it.

NmexMAX

Re: Squeaky Drvr side

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:17 am

disallow wrote:
vr446 wrote:Question about the BJ's - Do I have to replace the entire upper and lower A-arm? Looking at Nissan's blow up diagram of the front suspension it doesn't show a part# for just the BJ's, called the dealer and they said you have to change the entire arm, but that sounds ludicrous/overkill. So searched online for BJ's and found aftermarket suppliers selling just the BJ. Which is correct?

Control arms are not made like they used to make them. They are very light, and easily damaged. Say like when you hammer out your old BJ and then take your new BJ and try to hammer it into the CA.

All in the interest of weight savings (and aftermarket parts sales opportunities!).

That being said, if you are careful, you can get out your old and install your new BJ without damaging the control arm. But I wouldn't ask a shop to do it.
A little pricey. http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product ... hing-tool/
Might be worth it to some.

julianwong

Postby julianwong » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 pm

My R50 ball joints had to be changed at 60K miles (10 year old). But I don't have the upper control arm.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”