Cruise control performance on (moderately)hilly roads

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

conester

Cruise control performance on (moderately)hilly roads

Postby conester » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:31 pm

So I have had my 2010 pathfinder SE for a few months now and so far I really enjoy it, but there is one thing that bugs me. The cruise control! On flat roads or very slight hills, it works fine, but as soon as the road becomes a little hilly, the cruise doesn't work too well. I set it at 60mph and I go down a moderate hill (Im in Cincinnati mind you, not the Rocky Mountains) and my speed increases slightly (1mph or stays pretty constant) but not too bad going down the hill. Once at the bottom of the hill and when the road starts back up another slight hill, it's like the cruise doesn't register that it needs to accelerate and my speed drops to 53-55mph before the cruise finally kicks in and accelerates back to 60mph. Today it was the worst it has ever been and it dropped all the way to 50 and the cruise even kicked off when it tried to accelerate, like the difference in speed was too much for the computer to comprehend.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this just the way the Pathfinder/Nissan cruise control works? I'm used to a car maintaining the speed down the hill and back up the hill so that's why I am asking since I don't know if this is typical or not.

I did a search and didn't really find too many posts for this so I thought I'd ask.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Brian

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Sounds like the cruise in our previous Honda. My PF is dead on regardless of hills. I come through Cinci all the time and drive up here in east OH, WV, PA so I see a few hills. This is one of the best cruises I've owned. Not sure if there's anyway they could adjust...might just be a bad speed control. I assume you have factory size tires?

conester

Postby conester » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Yep, I have a totally stock pathfinder. I guess I'll have to take it in and see what Nissan says.

Brian

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 pm

I live in BC and drive to the interior on the Coquihalla Highway, virtually all hills, some quite steep and long, on a divided freeway, 120 to 130kmh is not unusual. I normally have it in cruise control, on the "Coke" and have not experienced any issues. If I set cruise at 120kmh, the speed may drop to 117 before she starts to accelerate and about 123 before she starts to break. The range seems quite tight and reliable.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:01 am

I thought about this a bit on my way home last night...and realized you said you set the cruise at 60mph. I don't believe I've ever set the cruise that low so my comments may not apply. Given the much lower rpm's at that speed than what I run, it could be possible it takes a little longer for the engine to catch up. So I stand by my comments at 70+mph but I have no idea at lower speeds.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:46 am

skinny2 wrote:I thought about this a bit on my way home last night...and realized you said you set the cruise at 60mph. I don't believe I've ever set the cruise that low
I was wondering about this also. I know I've never had it set with that low of a speed, so am totally unfamiliar with how it would operate. The only "hills" around me are steep mountain climbs, many of which drop from 75mph to about 40mph near the pass because of sharp curves. Going up has never been a problem. I have noticed that the cruise isn't exactly smooth on steep downgrades. It kind of lurches a bit & I have noticed it takes a few seconds for it to kick back in once I hit level ground.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:44 am

cruise control on mine only works above 40 km/h.

even though we dont have real hills here, mostly flat, it does drop a bit when climbing, but then downshifts and steadies out.

the tolerance i've noticed is +/- 5 km/h no more.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 pm

What, you don't use cruise control in the dunes? :wink: Followed some of your posts, looks like a blast.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 am

NVSteve wrote:
skinny2 wrote:I thought about this a bit on my way home last night...and realized you said you set the cruise at 60mph. I don't believe I've ever set the cruise that low
I was wondering about this also. I know I've never had it set with that low of a speed, so am totally unfamiliar with how it would operate. The only "hills" around me are steep mountain climbs, many of which drop from 75mph to about 40mph near the pass because of sharp curves. Going up has never been a problem. I have noticed that the cruise isn't exactly smooth on steep downgrades. It kind of lurches a bit & I have noticed it takes a few seconds for it to kick back in once I hit level ground.
I tried this out last week on a flat stretch of road somewhere over 8,000' up at Yellowstone. Set the cruise at a whopping 45mph and it held it. Not sure what gear it was in, but it sounded like a diesel because the rpms were so low. Highly doubt it would hold on a hill at that speed.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:25 am

NVSteve wrote:Highly doubt it would hold on a hill at that speed.
wouldnt it kick down to second and climb? but i guess the speed tolerance levels might increase.

Oly22, thanks. its loads of fun.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:35 am

mar1 wrote:
NVSteve wrote:Highly doubt it would hold on a hill at that speed.
wouldnt it kick down to second and climb? but i guess the speed tolerance levels might increase.
Beats me. I'll let someone else try it out. If it was in 5th, as I suspect, I'm not sure it would kick all the way down to 2nd. That's a big jump, and it would have to be pretty immediate. The whole vision of trying that out makes me NOT want to try it.

heckler40

Postby heckler40 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:24 pm

I have this issue too. Took it to dealer and they said that is how it works. I told them it is unacceptable and this is the worst cruise ever. Obviously they did nothing and I hate the cruise system.

vtrobaugh

Postby vtrobaugh » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:33 pm

I have the same probelm on my 2012 Titan. I have taken it to the dealer twice but they say it is within acceptable levels. I have never had a speed control do this. Have you had any luck getting yours fixed?

Return to “R51 Electrical”