Installation tips - Help

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 am

My 2011 does not have front camber bolts so I ordered a set with my lift. After I have installed everything, I will post notes on the install and the measurements. Hope to get to this, this weekend but it is starting to get cold around here, about -3c or around 29f. :(

mark439

Postby mark439 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks, just ordered!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 am

pfffft! Its -21 here right now! and -28 overnight! I'm doing an oil change on my driveway this weekend.

You BCers are wussies! :)

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:53 pm

disallow wrote:You BCers are wussies! :)
Ain't going to deny it, that's why I live here. Like our hockey team better too. 8)

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Pre Install information.

For those that might be considering the Rancho 2" Quicklift Loaded struts. Because of the manual adjustment, on the strut, for adjusting the ride quality, there is actually a left and right hand strut. This is so the red adjustment dial will be facing outward (bottom of strut). See photo attached (sorry, really need to get a better camera). Unfortunately, the instructions do not mention this so...
Part number RS999922 is the right hand loaded strut and
Part number RS999938 is the left hand loaded strut.

Side note. At the top of the struts, there is a plate with three bolts, to mount the strut to the truck (not visible in picture). Interestingly, the left hand strut has has 14mm nuts and the right hand strut has 15mm nuts. Maybe they ran out of one size.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Okay, the Manitoban guilted me into into it, :). If Disallow can do an oil change in -20C degrees, I can do a lift at 0C degrees, the lift is in! Wasn't as bad as I thought. I will post pictures, of the install tomorrow and will post about the height and ride, after I get the alignment done. Now it's time for a few GBI winter ales, and watch some hockey!

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Well, the lift is in the alignment is done and there is good news and bad news. I am quite happy with the Rancho Quick Lift front coil overs, they went in fairly easy, with some coaxing to get the bottom of the strut into the mount. On average, I got 2 1/4 inch of lift.

The Bilstein rear shocks were very easy to install.

The 4x4parts rear springs went in fairly easy but I am not at all happy with the amount of lift I was able to get. On average, I received only 7/8" of lift and not the 2" of lift I was expecting. I now have a reverse rake.

All tires inflated to 36PSI, rear air bags empty, truck sitting on level carport. Here are the numbers.

Drivers Side Front Before 34 1/8" After 36 1/2" Difference +2 3/8" lift
Passenger Side Front Before 33 3/4" After 36" Difference +2 /1/4" lift
Drivers Side Rear Before 34 1/2" After 35 1/4" Difference + 3/4" lift
Passenger Side Rear Before 34 3/4" After 35 5/8" Difference + 7/8" lift

From front to back, after lift
Drivers Side Front 36 1/2" Rear 35 1/4" Difference 1 1/4" reverse rake
Passenger Side Front 36" Rear 35 5/8" Difference 3/8" reverse rake

For some reason, before and after the lift, the truck is not properly leveled from side to side.

Based on these results, I have ordered the Rancho 2" rear spacers and will be reinstalling the OEM rear coils and the air bags, in hopes to eliminated the reverse rake and make the truck more level. 4x4parts does not have an explanation for the lack of lift and only said results could vary. They have issued me an RMA but I have to cover the freight back to 4x4parts. Not the best response since the product did not provide the lift, as advertised and I have to pay freight for a replacement product.

When I get a chance, I will post some installation pictures and notes.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Before you panic...and it may already be too late.

I noticed that my shocks got taller as they settled in after about 500-1000 miles. The rear was initially about an inch shorter than the front and are now approximately 1/4" shorter and barely noticeable.

Was thinking your front shocks are adjustable height-wise correct. Maybe just lower the front a bit for now.

And once they settle in, the heights from side to side should level out a little better too!

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks touchdown,

I thought about waiting, to see if things would settle down a bit but did not think the rear would raise up any. I have driven about 300km, since the lift on Saturday and did remeasure everything after I had the alignment done yesterday, nothing really changed at all. The Rancho's are not adjustable for height, only for ride comfort.

I made the decision to change out the springs, this morning and the Rancho rear spacers are on there way.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm assuming your measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel well.
I just measured mine and and it's 36 1/2" which is what yours should be or should end up being.

Not telling you what to do...but i didn't like the harsher ride in the rear with the spacers. See if 4x4parts will give you a chance to let them settle in and if they don't get to around 36.5" in around 1000 miles, then see if they will exchange them for another set. They've always seemed like a good bunch of guys!

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks again, for your reply. Yes, I am measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel well and measured both times in my carport. Question I have is I can see the truck settling down but cannot see how the rear springs would start to lift the rear end more than they have now after a number of more miles. You should post some pictures of your truck, looks like we have the same one, love to see it.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Honestly I can't explain it either...except it happened to me.
Besides visually looking more even...I was actually bottoming out the rear end (with the 33" tires) on some of the intersections where the road transitioned...and now I don't at all.

I'll take a few pics tomorrow when it's light!

mark439

Postby mark439 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:16 am

Wow, just what I didn't want to hear as I look at my box of parts, haha. I asked 4x4 parts the same question before ordering and received the same answer you did. Seems much more likely to me the 1" difference between advertised is in the spring length/spring rate than in the car itself. Any chance you measured the new spring before installing? Notice any difference in ride quality?

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 am

Took a few pics with my iPhone this morning in the driveway...
She needs a good washing!!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 am

Touchdown wrote:Took a few pics with my iPhone this morning in the driveway...
She needs a good washing!!
Are you being serious? Looks like showroom quality. You should see mine, which is 150% the opposite of yours.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”