Installation tips - Help

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 am

Oly 22 wrote:Thanks again, for your reply. Yes, I am measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel well and measured both times in my carport. Question I have is I can see the truck settling down but cannot see how the rear springs would start to lift the rear end more than they have now after a number of more miles. You should post some pictures of your truck, looks like we have the same one, love to see it.
Springs will settle even more in ride height, not the opposite, assuming you don't live in an opposite reality from the rest of us where the laws of physics are skewed. If you got that much of a lift out of the front Rancho, why not order up some better springs for the rear that do actually give you a lift? Springs that others here have bought, installed & verified how much of a lift was given. I'd also still fight the return shipping, as what you received wasn't what you thought you were buying (I can't confirm as I haven't look at the listing on 4x4parts). If they balk, offer to pay half. It is will still be worth it to finally have good springs in the rear. And I agree, don't go the spacer route.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:56 am

Those springs seem to be hit or miss, by I've never seen someone report on here an actual 2" lift.

RacerZX reported a 0.5" lift. doctahjones saw 1.5".

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:16 pm

mark439 wrote:Wow, just what I didn't want to hear as I look at my box of parts, haha. I asked 4x4 parts the same question before ordering and received the same answer you did. Seems much more likely to me the 1" difference between advertised is in the spring length/spring rate than in the car itself. Any chance you measured the new spring before installing? Notice any difference in ride quality?
I did not tape measure the new spring nor the OEM spring but did line them up against each other and they appeared to be same length. The 4x4parts spring has more coils and I assumed it would not compress as much, under the weight, giving it the two inches of lift. Not the case, still no measurable difference in measured height. As for the ride, yes, it feels much better. I have pictures and will upload them this weekend.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 pm

NVSteve wrote:
If you got that much of a lift out of the front Rancho, why not order up some better springs for the rear that do actually give you a lift? Springs that others here have bought, installed & verified how much of a lift was given. I'd also still fight the return shipping, as what you received wasn't what you thought you were buying (I can't confirm as I haven't look at the listing on 4x4parts). If they balk, offer to pay half. It is will still be worth it to finally have good springs in the rear. And I agree, don't go the spacer route.
Thanks for your comments NVSteve,

What is it about the rear spacers, you don't like? I have noticed a few members with them including goblue90. And to follow your advice, I noticed you have OME. Was this a lift? How do you like them? I read about some possible issues with alignment, with the OME. I will be disputing the freight charge, for the exact reason you mentioned, I did not get what was advertised, if I get push back, I will offer to split the freight, thanks for the idea.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:51 am

NVSteve wrote:
Touchdown wrote:Took a few pics with my iPhone this morning in the driveway...
She needs a good washing!!
Are you being serious? Looks like showroom quality. You should see mine, which is 150% the opposite of yours.
:lol:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 am

Oly 22 wrote:
Thanks for your comments NVSteve,

What is it about the rear spacers, you don't like? I have noticed a few members with them including goblue90. And to follow your advice, I noticed you have OME. Was this a lift? How do you like them? I read about some possible issues with alignment, with the OME. I will be disputing the freight charge, for the exact reason you mentioned, I did not get what was advertised, if I get push back, I will offer to split the freight, thanks for the idea.
I've just never liked spacers, period. They are a cheap solution to a problem that warrants not using them, such as getting an extended spring, longer shock, etc. Just my opinion, of course. But, all one needs to do is Google "coil spring spacers bad or good" to get a wealth of information as to the true pros/cons of using them.

I originally replaced all my springs and shocks with the OME kit, which provided a bit more (needed) clearance in the wheelwells, along with an extra inch of ground clearance. I think the OME springs are great. If the road I'm on doesn't require 4-Lo, I usually drive fairly fast, as a few people here can attest to. The springs really were night and day compared to the OEM springs that would bottom out every 2 seconds off road. I haven't had any alignment issues so far, but I know others have.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:08 pm

mark439 wrote:Wow, just what I didn't want to hear as I look at my box of parts, haha. I asked 4x4 parts the same question before ordering and received the same answer you did. Seems much more likely to me the 1" difference between advertised is in the spring length/spring rate than in the car itself. Any chance you measured the new spring before installing? Notice any difference in ride quality?
As I mentioned, I did not measure the springs but took this picture. The OEM spring is on top and the 4x4part spring is on the bottom. In this picture, the 4x4part spring actually looks shorter.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:15 pm

NVSteve wrote:
I've just never liked spacers, period. They are a cheap solution to a problem that warrants not using them, such as getting an extended spring, longer shock, etc. Just my opinion, of course. But, all one needs to do is Google "coil spring spacers bad or good" to get a wealth of information as to the true pros/cons of using them.

I originally replaced all my springs and shocks with the OME kit, which provided a bit more (needed) clearance in the wheelwells, along with an extra inch of ground clearance. I think the OME springs are great. If the road I'm on doesn't require 4-Lo, I usually drive fairly fast, as a few people here can attest to. The springs really were night and day compared to the OEM springs that would bottom out every 2 seconds off road. I haven't had any alignment issues so far, but I know others have.
Thanks again, for your input. With the air bags and the OEM spring, I never noticed bottoming out, but I am probably not driving as fast as you, when I am off the pavement. :) I will give Greg a call, at Rocky Road, before more next step.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 am

Oly 22 wrote:
As I mentioned, I did not measure the springs but took this picture. The OEM spring is on top and the 4x4part spring is on the bottom. In this picture, the 4x4part spring actually looks shorter.
Okay, that is ridiculous. By all means, send 4x4parts this same picture. Granted, the wimpier OEM springs will compress more, but all the springs I've ever seen advertising a lift of sorts have all been longer than the stock springs. Interesting...

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 am

I agree, that doesn't look right! They should be a little longer than OEM if I remember correctly.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:49 pm

This isn't the first time I've heard of this. IIRC< Carl with the V8 and doctahjones both mentioned the free length in their posts. Possibly more people have also.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

NVSteve wrote: Springs will settle even more in ride height, not the opposite, assuming you don't live in an opposite reality from the rest of us where the laws of physics are skewed.
Sorry NVSteve...gonna defend my statement!
I did see a 1/4" to 1/2" height improvement after some miles.
I did take the pathy on a little off-road workout and that may have been what it needed to "stretch" them out.
If you look at how tightly they are wound compared to the OEM springs, there may be very little give when the truck is at rest.
I agree it's odd, but was hoping the same would happen to OLY22!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 pm

What NVSteve said is correct, there's no reason within the bounds of engineering why this would be a spring thing. They'll settle down, not up. It's something else.

From working on my suspension compared to other things, and the general feel of it I have the suspicion there's just shitloads of binding in there. I'd love to take the Pepsi challenge by replacing all of the bushings but that's a lot of work...

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Update. I had just installed the Rancho 2" rear spacers, reinstalled the OEM springs and removed the 4x4parts rear springs, not long ago. With the Bilstein rear shocks, OEM springs, Rancho Spacers and Air Bags, she rides just fine. No major off roading, just a few gravel roads to some industrial customers. Still playing with the adjustment on the Rancho front coil overs. So far, I am much happier. Here are the final numbers, after some settling.

Before
Drivers Front 34-1/8"
Drivers Rear 34-1/2"
Passenger Front 33-3/4"
Passenger Rear 34-3/4"

After
Drivers Front 36-1/4"
Drivers Rear 36-1/4"
Passenger Front 35-3/4"
Passenger Rear 36-9/16"

Differential
Drivers Front 2-1/8"
Drivers Rear 1-3/4"
Passenger Front 2"
Passenger Rear 1-13/16"

Weather has been rather crappy, with the amount of rain and getting home after dark. I'll see if I can take some updated pictures this weekend. Now..... what to do about tires?

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Finally got around to taking pictures, with the lift, definitely gives the Pathfinder more presence. Can't wait to get some new tires.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”