Must haves?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

PFhopefull

Must haves?

Postby PFhopefull » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:35 am

If some of you could do it all over again what options are must haves? I am kind of set on having the Bose system for myself and the stock DVD player for the kids. What do you guys think of these systems ? Is it worth the extra cash up front or should I upgrade all these things later? How does the stock non Bose system sound? Thanks for any input!

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:50 am

For me a must have would have been dual zone climate controls with rear controls for the kids, as well as rear entertainment. We saved $13,000 over new by purchasing a stripped down SE demo model--but in the future--that's what we would have done. Bose is nice if you're an audiophile, as well as the rear DVD system. Expensive upfront, but saves you the hassle of buying aftermarket--then paying someone else to do it--or if you're not very handy with stuff like that trying to make it look stock can be tricky.
Last edited by OurPathfinder on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:57 am

Make sure the Bose sytem will be good enough for you. Upgrading the Bose is alot more difficult than the stock, non Bose system.

I had the stock sound system and thought it sounded pretty good. After a year I was ready to upgrade it though.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:10 am

OurPathfinder wrote:...Expensive upfront, but saves you the hassle of buying aftermarket--then paying someone else to do it--or if you're not very handy with stuff like that trying to make it look stock can be tricky.
I didnt think about paying someone else to do it. I am kinda handy when it comes to the aftermarket audio stuff so putting it in myself was part of the fun. Gave me that "job well done" feeling when I got to the end results.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:25 am

OurPathfinder wrote:Bose is nice if you're an audiophile
A true audiophile has the word "Bose" completely stripped from their vocabulary. While I'm also not a fan, I do like the Bose in the PF. It produces sound that is acceptable, which is quite a feat for a factory system. Since I wanted a sunroof, I didn't have much of a choice in the matter since it is part of a package. The nicest part for me is just having the track and volume controls on the steering wheel.

The dual climate control is great. I love the fact that I can dial in a temp and it will keep it there without constantly fiddling with the controls.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:24 am

Probably would have gotten the navigation, since you can access more controls with it. Plus you can attach a rear view camera with a little pac module. Don't need the dvd, because the little guy is more interested in seeing things go by.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:40 am

NVSteve wrote:
OurPathfinder wrote:Bose is nice if you're an audiophile
A true audiophile has the word "Bose" completely stripped from their vocabulary. While I'm also not a fan, I do like the Bose in the PF. It produces sound that is acceptable, which is quite a feat for a factory system. Since I wanted a sunroof, I didn't have much of a choice in the matter since it is part of a package. The nicest part for me is just having the track and volume controls on the steering wheel.

The dual climate control is great. I love the fact that I can dial in a temp and it will keep it there without constantly fiddling with the controls.
I agree on all counts. Although there will never be a Bose system in my home, I'm actually quite pleased with the Bose in my PF. Sound reproduction seems way better than the Bose in the wife's Audi A4. The shrill highs, weak mids, and muddy lows many of us have learned to expect from that brand seem to be much improved on this unit. Aside from that, everything that's standard equipment on my non-optioned LE are must haves on my next vehicle.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:07 am

Not gotten the cloth tan interior. My life is simply too dirty for an interior like that, and those seats just suck any dirt/grime/oil right off your clothes. Hence I put in the Nissan waterproof seat covers, but going with a black interior to begin with would have been the smarter choice.

To0lB@G

Postby To0lB@G » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 am

I would not do it over again....I am like RacerZX. I am no clean suit and tie guy but I searched for weeks and then found just about everything I can possibly want at a good price. Dark cloth interior didnt want leather, bose system, dual zone heating controls and the radio controls on the steering wheel are the best, it also had the sunroof, it would have been nice to find the truck I bought with the DVD but I was not going to be picky, I got a 06 SE with 22k miles and am more than happy with it.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:08 pm

NVSteve wrote:A true audiophile has the word "Bose" completely stripped from their vocabulary.
haha... you beat me to it. if you mention bose to an audiophile, you better already be running the other way when you say it. its unfortunate that the bose system is soooo hard to upgrage. it has generally been my mantra to NOT pay for an upgraded audio system from the factory. their "upgrade" is pretty much below the base product line for any decent after market company. too bad for me, the bose came as part of the se-or package.

i will probably be content with my purchase (once i actually get it)... but there are a few things i would have liked that arent available, even as options...

~mike

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:07 pm

Triffid was successful in upgrading his speakers with some Alpines. He has the Bose system. See what he said in the following topic, about the 5th post down.
http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=360&highlight=

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:44 pm

I think the only thing I would have done differently is to not get the LE with Leather. IIRC I don't think it can be had in that configuration though. I like the parts that are actual leather, but there is far too much pleather for what the option costs. Otherwise all the standard options included in the LE and the NAV would be keepers. I don't think I would add the entertainment system only because I think it was an overhead console and I would want something upfront for the passenger to watch also.

Cr@2y Gr33k

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:51 pm

I would have loved to have fog lights, and heated side view mirrors. Being that I have the S trim Pathfinder, it doesn't have those two options.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:05 pm

I would have waited for the Frontier Nismo to come out. or stuck to my guns and got the Titan CC SE /w offroad pkg. I regret Nissan waiting 3 years to make the V8 an option :D
Skip the Bose. You don't have to be an audiophile to tell they are a sucky company living purely on cache. Outside of their Electromagnetic Suspension which is arguably one of the coolest things to come out in years; Bose hasn't produced anything noteworthy since the 60s audiowise. I'm surrounded my Genlec and Tannoy every night so I hear a Bose home theater in a local electronics retailer and nearly scoff myself to death. "No highs no lows, must be Bose" is a common phrase among the 12v community for a reason.

To find all the parts to retrofit to the Bose would be the least bang for buck you could possibly do IMO. I've already upgraded my XE path's audio once and I have a new DNX8120 headunit on the way which I'll follow up on in the Electronics segment of the forum. I'm not to sure about the Bose but the standard 6 speaker audio is 2ohm so keep that in mind if you do any replacing of componants.

I kind of regret not getting the dual zone climate but my dog really doesn't seem to care and he is lone occupant for the rear seat the majority of the time. I miss leather in some situations as far as ease of cleaning, but I don't miss them in the winter or summer. I put in my own heated seats, upgraded suspension, Bluetooth handsfree system.
US market Pathy's get totally cheated on heated mirrors. For some reason heated mirrors are only available on leather equiped models in the states, where in Canada they are standard on the base model...

Storm Grey: So no one notices me in on the highway or in the woods.
Graphite interior: so no one notices I'm a pig.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:02 am

I had the standard audio system, and I thought it sounded terrible. I upgraded to an Alpine head unit, with XM radio and I-pod interface, and Boston speakers... sounds much better, put I paid a local shop $1000.

I got the Off-Road model which I like quite a bit. I think the suspension is better, and it has a little bit more in the way of skid plates - although they are pretty flimsy.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”