New 2012 with steering issue

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

jsam

New 2012 with steering issue

Postby jsam » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 pm

2012 model S 4x4. From the trip home from the dealer the PF seemed to drift or wander in the lane requiring constant steering wheel action to keep it running straight. I did not notice this on the test drive. I called and explained this to the service manager and he requested that I not bring it in for an alignment until I had at least 1000 miles on the tires. With 1100 miles on the tires I went in for an alignment. I requested a before and after printout which was provided. The printout indicated changes to camber, caster and toe settings on all 4 wheels. The toe on one of the front wheels was out of spec and the camber on one of the rear wheels. The service person was certain that this would take care of the problem but the drift is still present only different. My real question is to the validity of the alignment. There are camber bolts with the indicator washers in the rear for adjusting the camber but these bolts are not present on the front. It is my understanding that to adjust caster and or camber on the front, these bolts would have to be installed and there is no indication that they were. So, even after a dealer alignment, I stilll have the steering drift issue and I doubt the validity of the alignemnt. Any thoughts, experience and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Mine is a little numb on center but typical for a truck. It does follow the camber of the road and take a bit of input to remain straight. Less than my old J30, more than a sports car. It doesn't "drift." Stuff I would consider if you're sure your Pathfinder is not like the other ones:

- Tire pressure (increase front from 35 to 37, many here do not like the lack of on center feel with recommended air pressures)
- Sway bar bushings and links
- Uneven tire wear
- Loose or clunky suspension or steering connections

Did you drive any other Pathfinders at the dealership?

If your truck were older I'd also say look into new shocks with new rubber mounting hardware...my steering and on center feel improved with the Bilsteins and new "rubber sandwiches" in the struts...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:03 am

If you don't trust the alignment, you can always pay to have a reputable alignment shop check/adjust the alignment and make sure you get a printout. If they find their initial readings are out of spec and far off of what the dealers final readings were on the printout, then you could try and reimburse your cost from Nissan ( 1-800-NISSAN-1 ). They may or may not, but at least you'll know if your alignment is correct.

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Go back to your dealer and tell them the alignment was not properly performed. You know that because eccentrics were not installed in the front of your truck. Follow that with a "ill call consumer affairs if this is not addressed" and you will have a proper alignment performed.

jsam

Postby jsam » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks for the replys. I have had it to the dealer for 3 alignments now with the installation of cam bolts and alignment done on 2 different machines with no success. The dealer thinks now that it could be tires. The S model has 16 inch rims with 65 series tires. The dealer says the suspension was designed to work with the 17 inch rims and lower profile tires. I am waiting on a call now for an apointment to switch out both rims and tires. I hope it works. Results to follow.

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 am

Wow what an excuse!!! They are idiots. Period

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 am

sounds like some toe out on the fronts. Get it back to the dealer and get them to fix it.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 am

i jumped my pathfinder a few times and now it never aligns properly. i have camber bolts on front and still no success.. i suspect a bent axle on mine.

are you the first owner ?

jsam

Postby jsam » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:47 pm

The dealer is putting forth a good effort to help remedy the problem. The service has contacted an automotive engenering firm for possible causes and sollutions. I have also learned that it may be the tread pattern of the tires not the profile. Sometimes details get lost in transmission.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 pm

jsam wrote:Thanks for the replys. I have had it to the dealer for 3 alignments now with the installation of cam bolts and alignment done on 2 different machines with no success. The dealer thinks now that it could be tires. The S model has 16 inch rims with 65 series tires. The dealer says the suspension was designed to work with the 17 inch rims and lower profile tires. I am waiting on a call now for an apointment to switch out both rims and tires. I hope it works. Results to follow.
:?
did you buy it new?
does it have the OEM tires & wheels that it came out of the assembly plant on it?
if so, why would they be changing to different size tires/wheels to solve this problem?
if there is a problem, modifying the truck should not be the solution

jsam

update

Postby jsam » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:25 pm

It was the General Grabber AW tires. The dealer replaced the tires with BF Goodrich Long TA Touring tires. Problem seems to be solved.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 am

Good to hear the dealer fix your PF. One of the cars we test drove before buying our 2012 PF had a strong shimmy in the steering wheel. The dealer said it was the road causing the problem. So I asked them if they were going to fix all the roads so the problem would go away. They didn't answer that question and we didn't buy that car. You never know what kind of lame excuse a dealer will come up with just to not have to fix something.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”