The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Speedskating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NVSteve
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Speedskating Reply with quote

One of the cool things about living in SLC is that the infrastructure is in place, thanks to the 2002 Olympics, to host world class sporting events. We try to make it out to the Olympic icesheet once or twice a year, but it's sometimes difficult because I don't read the sports section in the newspaper, watch the local news or watch/follow any type of sport period. Basically, I have to learn seconhand from someone about an event, otherwise I would never know.

The Olympic oval hosted the 2013 Essent World Sprint Speedskating Champsionships here last weekend, so we went over to watch. Not exactly a popular sport in the US, but it is fairly huge in various other countries. One problem is that there really aren't that many venues in the world. We started out sitting in the bleachers and watching from there. The seats were great, but not very good for taking photos.

I wasn't impressed with the shots I was taking, so I left the bleachers and went down to the side of the track just past the finish line. Much better vantage point.

Heather Richardson of the US took 1st in the 1000 meters:

Oly 22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
2011 LE, Ebony, V6 4.0L, Airaid Quickfit CAI, IPF 868 Driving Lights, Rigid Industries SR 10" Specter LED Light Bar, Vision X 4200k Replacement 9007/H11/3057LED Lamps, Nissan Hood Deflector, Belkin USB Port, Firestone Coil-Rite 4166, Brushed Aluminum Billet Oil Filler Cap, Rocky-Road Super Sliders, Rancho 2" Quick Lift Loaded front coil overs, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Rancho 2" Rear Spacers, 4x4Parts Front Camber Bolts, BFG All Terrain T/A KO LT285-65/R18
mar1
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defenitely a BMW to win over all those Kia Laughing

excellent photos
Oly 22

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, kinda like the white KIA Cool.
2011 LE, Ebony, V6 4.0L, Airaid Quickfit CAI, IPF 868 Driving Lights, Rigid Industries SR 10" Specter LED Light Bar, Vision X 4200k Replacement 9007/H11/3057LED Lamps, Nissan Hood Deflector, Belkin USB Port, Firestone Coil-Rite 4166, Brushed Aluminum Billet Oil Filler Cap, Rocky-Road Super Sliders, Rancho 2" Quick Lift Loaded front coil overs, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Rancho 2" Rear Spacers, 4x4Parts Front Camber Bolts, BFG All Terrain T/A KO LT285-65/R18
doctahjones

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shots

that d600 sure does well at those higher iso's Smile

did you move down/over for the shots on the curve? pretty good angle there if you ask me

i was thinking those bleachers are a good height, otherwise trying to shoot over the barrier would have been difficult.
airraid quick fit "cold-ish" air intake
2in rancho 9000XL front / bilstein HD rear / 4x4parts.com 2in HD rear springs
airlift 1000
bfg at 285/65/18
rocky road super sliders
Calicajun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pictues, you captured the action and emotion of the event. Your D600 did a great job with the indoor lighting.
NVSteve
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of notes. Yes, the D600 did remarkably well with high ISO considering the fast shutter speeds. I had so many freaking photos to go through that I forgot to set the white balance for all of them in post, so these are pretty much straight out of camera. I also kind of screwed up the photos I posted here because all of my post processing was done on full sized photos, including noise reduction, then I created copies of them and resized for flickr. What I should have done is made copies of them, resize, then apply any processing. Would have been much sharper.

Anyway, I was shooting with the new 70-200 f/4. I originally wanted a 2.8, but it is only 1 stop difference and much, much heavier, meaning I would only use it for situations like this. The f/4, on the other hand, does very well indoors & out, plus it is very small and light (also has a better MTF compared to the 2.8 options). Definitely a lens I can bring with me anywhere. I'm still going to keep an eye on the Tamron 2.8 when it finally gets released in the Nikon mount.

Just FYI if you are contemplating the D600. Not sure if any of you follow camera forums, but one issue with the D600 that is being widely discussed is the dust/oil on the sensor. I can say it is true. In my case, I'm not getting dust, but oil and what looks like debris, and all of it is interally created and visible on my photos all the way down to f/5.6. It is so bad on mine that I've had to resort to wet cleaning the sensor every single time before I take it out and shoot. Seeing as how I take a lot of outdoor shots with blue skies, having a clean sensor is pretty important. I'm receiving a replacement body tomorrow from Crutchfield, so hopefully it is much less riddled with spots than my current camera.

Thanks for the comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> Photo Gallery All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: