Any new problems with CVT?

The new gas engine 3.5L v6, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dcdemke

Any new problems with CVT?

Postby dcdemke » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:32 am

Any updates on the transmission problem? Or any new ones that people are having. About to make the plunge for a SL model!

MallFinder

Postby MallFinder » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Ours has been perfect for 2000 miles. I'm taking it in Tuesday for the software update, just because.

I am a gear head, I changed our Chevelle's TH400 automatic for a TKO 5 speed for fun. This CVT keeps me thoroughly entertained driving the car, seeing what the computer does with the RPM vs what I would have guessed.

I've driven JX's, as we were considering them strongly. In fact, we had one on order. When I heard about the new generation CVT in the PF, we cancelled the JX. Comparing the two, I think the PF is superior. The major deal with the JX is rumble and higher RPM freeway cruising.

Two thumbs up for this unit.

... Platinum... there is a big difference for the relatively small price difference...

Jupiter Path

Postby Jupiter Path » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Mallfinder, please report any changes in the tranny after your trip to the dealer. Mine has a stutter too, but not all the time. I will call the dealer tomorrow and reference the TSB.

MallFinder

Postby MallFinder » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:58 pm

Not saying I'm cool or anything, but I have pretty keen senses for car issues being a mechanical engineer and motorhead. I never noticed any jutter on my car before the upgrade, maybe my driving conditions didn't excite it. I got the update, and don't notice any behavioral differences in the how the transmission operates normally (no different rpms, changed fuel economy, etc).

ziggypup

Postby ziggypup » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 am

MallFinder wrote:Ours has been perfect for 2000 miles. I'm taking it in Tuesday for the software update, just because.

I am a gear head, I changed our Chevelle's TH400 automatic for a TKO 5 speed for fun. This CVT keeps me thoroughly entertained driving the car, seeing what the computer does with the RPM vs what I would have guessed.

I've driven JX's, as we were considering them strongly. In fact, we had one on order. When I heard about the new generation CVT in the PF, we cancelled the JX. Comparing the two, I think the PF is superior. The major deal with the JX is rumble and higher RPM freeway cruising.

Two thumbs up for this unit.

... Platinum... there is a big difference for the relatively small price difference...
If it's not broken, why bother fixing it? LOL

My Pathfinder is running perfectly, granted I only have 500 miles on the clock at the moment. But more times than not these knuckleheads end up causing problems that you didn't have in the first place.

AWDtraction

Postby AWDtraction » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 pm

hmmm..interesting. I just picked up the 2013 Pathfinder SV yesterday 2.18.2013 during the presidential weekend. I would hate to have to go back to find out they did not run the TSB and transmission updates...

MallFinder

Postby MallFinder » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:23 am

CVT's aren't new technology, snowmobiles have always used them. I remember carrying a new belt for when they would fail in the trail. Having dealt with that, and seeing the abuse they take, I did the software upgrade. I wouldn't want to create the right conditions, and have the belt chatter on the sheeves because I didn't do the upgrade.

9th

Postby 9th » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Got my PF last May 8, 2013 and I heard the recall issue.
Since then, 4 instance of judder.
Last week I sent my PF to the Nissan Dealership to ask about the recall, seems the Service Advisor(SA) don't know the judder issue.
They check my car this morning(7:30am).
Around 3pm, SA told me that they need to replace the Torque Converter Clutch.
My PF need to stay there up to 3 to 4 days.

fr8rain_1228

US probes Nissan Pathfinder fluid leak-HERE WE GO AGAIN! :(

Postby fr8rain_1228 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:17 am

NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. auto safety regulators are investigating complaints that transmission cooler lines can leak fluid in some 2013 Nissan Pathfinders and Infiniti JX models, leading to a sudden loss of transmission power.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it has received reports of problems from five owners of Pathfinders. No injuries have been reported. The probe covers an estimated 110,000 cars.

The NHTSA has begun an evaluation to assess the size and safety-related consequences of the issue. Such probes can often lead to recalls.

Emails were sent seeking comment from Nissan but they were not immediately returned.

The Nissan Pathfinder and the Infiniti JX are both sport utility vehicles.

___

Online: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/Rec ... stigations :( :(

Hayseed_40

Postby Hayseed_40 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:23 am

Have had a 2013 Platinum since they first came out (literally one of the first in the area). It has had this issue with the CVT and they have poked, prodded, replaced, etc everything. It now has well over the allotted mileage for the lemon law. Nissan just came back and stated they will not buy it back. But as a goodwill gesture they will give us an extended warranty and a few hundred dollars.

They have had a technician come out and they have stated that they have felt the issue. The dealer service advisor has stated that they have felt the issue. However, Nissan said that it is not their problem and I can keep taking it back to the dealer to have them look at it. They are willing to fix the problem but are unable to fix it. It still does it after replacing everything and reprogramming several times.

Consumer affairs stated that the case is closed unless the dealer can provide new information. She would not say what new information could possibly be since there is nothing new to report.

BEWARE - NISSAN does not care about the issue and will not do what it takes to fix it.

We have bought a dozen Nissans over the last 10-15 years and this is our last. We will be selling the pathfinder and our 2011 Murano to switch to another brand of vehicle.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks for the frank report. I am sure many here appreciate your comment.
It was in the back of my mind to wonder if the CVT unit was too small for the job in a PF, (I tow) although it has seemingly done well in smaller cars.

While this is my first Nissan (used 2006 PF) it has for me been a lower-cost-of-ownership than my 1998 Tahoe. Despite some of the engine issues, I might get serious about an Xterra 6sp manual.

Hayseed_40

Postby Hayseed_40 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Nissan customer service has been great through it all (except the part of not fixing the issue). Nissan has always been our go to car and I am looking for every excuse to stay with Nissan. This is my fourth Pathfinder and I love the car (as a concept) and feel that I got a bad one.

Received an other call from Nissan's higher ups this morning and we may see movement after all.

Like I said, I do not want to poo-poo the company but they need to man-up.

Hayseed_40

Postby Hayseed_40 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Nissan is doing what is right and taking the car back. They have saved themselves as a company but I will not go back to another Pathfinder for a while since even the 2014 I drove had the same issue.

vtrwillie

here we go again.....CVT

Postby vtrwillie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Hey guys,
been prowling for a few months now figured I would post up the issue we are having with our '14.

Car is 3 months old & has about 4k on the clock. So far (in the last two weeks while my wife is driving the car) the transmission will "hang up" and pull 3.5k to 5k while driving at 40mph +/-. Been to the dealer, they looked everything over the first time told us if it happened again to bring it back while it was doing it and a technician would test drive it. Well wife took it back this morning while it was acting up. Well first they insisted my wife fill out paper work before they took it anywhere so needless to say after the car sat and idled for ten minutes it stopped doing it. They did the usual and checked for codes, etc. and didn't find anything. They proceeded to tell my wife that maybe it was her. I know she is a woman but she is pretty sharp and that kinda pissed her off. So needless to say I feel that we are starting to have CVT issues and the dealer is pulling the fill 'em with bs and hope the problem goes away.

Has anyone had any luck with going up the chain and speaking with Nissan USA directly? Kinda wondering what our options are.

carunlock

to the post

Postby carunlock » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 am

i gather many knowldge from the topic....................

Return to “R52 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”