Spare key is acting funny, not working with the keyless.

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

EeJay84

Spare key is acting funny, not working with the keyless.

Postby EeJay84 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:24 am

Hi. My spare key is not working with the keyless system. The remote of doors works fine locking/unlocking the doors, but the proximity sensor does not work with the lock/unlock buttons on the doorhandles as well as it does not get recognized by the starting turning thingie on the car (where the key would be). Press down the break, red key light is showing.

What would be the problem. I have tried nothing. I doubt it is the battery because the remote is working. is it possible to pair it with the car in some way?

RobG

Postby RobG » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:11 am

I presume your master key fob works ok?

Working on this presumption I would try opening both fobs and checking the insides are the same. It's possible your spare fob does not have a transponder chip fitted. I've got a feeling my spare does this also, after all it is a spare key!

If the fobs are the same, and your spare has a transponder chip, it may be possible to have it reprogrammed by a competent garage.

Good luck!

EeJay84

Postby EeJay84 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:30 am

I'll check it.

Although both keys are identical from the outside, so there is really no telling which one is which. I actually only noticed that the second one didn't work when I accidentally took it from the key-bowl.

EeJay84

Postby EeJay84 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:55 am

Both keys seems identical both internally and externally. Also the same serialnumbers.

RobG

Postby RobG » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 am

Try swapping the batteries, just to rule out. If that makes no difference then it sounds to me that the spare needs it's transponder chip re-programmed. Not sure on cost, but I'd guess Nissan would want close to £75 here in the UK.

I did a quick Google search about it, and there's a good eBay buyers guide which (for people wanting to buy Nissan key fobs) which also details problems with those pesky chips!

Keep us posted as I'm sure this will affect other European users in the future :roll:

Rob.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:26 am

If the batteries are over three years old then I would suggest putting in new batteries. It takes more battery power to put out a continuous signal, starting the car, than it does to just send a pulse that will open the doors.

EeJay84

Postby EeJay84 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 am

I changed the batteries between the two keys. And it is still the same one working and the other one not. I noticed that there is a red little LED that lights up when you press a key on the remote. It does light up on the one that works and not on the one that doesn't. It might just be broken?

I know the price for a new key is outrageous so I guess I will just get by with the one working and the second one as a spare

RobG

Postby RobG » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:32 am

Same here, I've just dug out my spare key and the LED doesn't light upon button press either. Perhaps it's a normal master/spare combination after all!

Return to “R51 Electrical”