Connecting LED strip lights in the footwell.

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Virus

Connecting LED strip lights in the footwell.

Postby Virus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:29 am

Hi Guys,

I am trying to connect some LED lights in my footwell.
What I have done is try and connect these lights to the Map lights (Roof lights) but as soon as I tap into these wires I blow a fuse.

Is the voltage too high?
As I know for sure I have the correct polarity and correct wires.

Please advise if anyone here has carried out this exercise.

Much appreciated.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 am

You mean amperage too high with additional lights?

Could try changing the map lights out for LED's to reduce their current draw. They typically draw a lot less than the standard bulbs and would match your foot well lights better...

Virus

Postby Virus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:32 am

ShipFixer wrote:You mean amperage too high with additional lights?

Could try changing the map lights out for LED's to reduce their current draw. They typically draw a lot less than the standard bulbs and would match your foot well lights better...
Hi, Yes I did change the map lights to LED's but, when I conect the LED strip i get a spark and pop a fuse.

V

Ross Carlson

Postby Ross Carlson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:21 am

Virus wrote:
ShipFixer wrote:You mean amperage too high with additional lights?

Hi, Yes I did change the map lights to LED's but, when I conect the LED strip i get a spark and pop a fuse.

V
Sounds like you must be cross-connecting something as I can't imagine the difference in the lights would be doing that. If you connect the LED strip to something else hot (for testing) does it work or does it pop that fuse too? Wondering if you have a bad LED strip.

Return to “R51 Electrical”