Strange Gadget on 08 pathfinder

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

dell30rb

Strange Gadget on 08 pathfinder

Postby dell30rb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:30 pm

I recently bought a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder used from a dealer. Never got to talk to the prior owner.

I discovered today, a little device that plugs into a socket just under the steering column. 6 wires go out from the socket, two go up to the ignition module, and I didn't have time to trace the rest.

There is a button on the little remote thingy, and when you push it with the device unplugged, the LED lights up dimly. I have not tried pushing the button with it plugged into the socket. I will be trying this later of course.

I'm thinking its a remote-start device or possibly a security device of some kind. There is no brand name or anything else identifiable on the unit. Just the numbers 6237.

Anybody seen one of these before?

impulsepath

Postby impulsepath » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 pm

It looks like a starter disable system. I would trace it and remove it from the car. It does not seem to be working anyway. There may be a GPS unit in the car as part of the system. Lenders use it to disable cars of delinquent customers.

Plngeek

Postby Plngeek » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Wow... I haven't seen one of those in years... My Dad's '95 Prelude and my '97 Tacoma both had them... it is a "Locktronics" device. As mentioned above, it is a starter disabling device and you shouldn't be able to start the car without it in there. The button and LED is just a flashlight to help you find the slot in the dark. The theory is that you pull it out when you park and the car can't be started.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 am

Neat idea, but in my experience, if they can't get it started, they will trash the car. Or take a dump in the back seat... ew.

t0pnotch1

Postby t0pnotch1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Yup thats exactly what it is. had that on both my civic's back in the day to prevent my car from getting stolen. Hondas were getting stolen left and right in Chicago.

Plngeek wrote:Wow... I haven't seen one of those in years... My Dad's '95 Prelude and my '97 Tacoma both had them... it is a "Locktronics" device. As mentioned above, it is a starter disabling device and you shouldn't be able to start the car without it in there. The button and LED is just a flashlight to help you find the slot in the dark. The theory is that you pull it out when you park and the car can't be started.

sdg1963

Postby sdg1963 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:04 am

Yup, that's an immobilizer. Had one on my Prelude. Without it plugged in, the car won't start.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:06 am

7 months later...

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”