Looking to upgrade the Bose sound system

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

jeffavs21

Looking to upgrade the Bose sound system

Postby jeffavs21 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Hey everyone, I have a 2012 Silver edition pathfinder with the bose/without nav package. Im looking to add an amp and two 12's, plus possibly components. I was wondering if anyone knows if the factory bose amp powers just the subwoofer, or does it power all the speakers in the vehicle?

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:52 pm

its powers all the component speakers.. I have a blown Bose amp and I have no sound LOL

jeffavs21

Postby jeffavs21 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Ok. I was just curious because the factory subwoofers started making a buzzing noise instead of bass, but all the other speakers sound fine. I had a car audio shop look at it that I bought my amp and subs from, and they said it was the factory amplifier so I wasn't sure. Kind of sucks that it went bad because I only have 3k miles on it. Luckily the warranty covers it but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with the factory Bose equipment.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 pm

I've seen blown subwoofer speakers make a "buzzing" noise on these Pathfinders (in fact, I have a blown Bose subwoofer speaker sitting on my dresser at the moment). The subwoofer has two, 5-1/4" speakers with 1-ohm impedance and with a square mounting flange that sits in a molded recess in the subwoofer box. The speakers, alone, are not available from Nissan; you can only purchase the very expensive subwoofer box assembly. You can purchase the speakers (and other componants) directly from Bose Corporation, but the last time I tried they were waiting for some to come into stock. I contacted Simply Speakers in FL, who repairs speakers, and while they said they've never specifically repaired any of the Pathfinder Bose subwoofer speakers, they said they would take a look at it if I sent them the speakers. Haven't had time to get around to it yet. You can Google "Simply Speaker" for their website, if anyone's interested.

jeffavs21

Postby jeffavs21 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks for the info! I am a huge audiophile and cant stand those crappy bose subwoofers anyways, so Im adding a 1000 watt rms amp and two 12s in custom ported box I had built. Im actually going to run it off the factory amplifer by using an audiocontrol lc2 line out converter, and when we went to do the install, we couldnt get any ouptut from the factory amp so maybe its a mix of both. When I had nissan diagnose the problem, they told me that they had to replace the amp and sub together. I just hope that this amp crapping out isnt a problem that will keep happening because getting the bose package added quite a bit to final retail price I paid and I dont feel like having to get it replaced over and over again. Like I said earlier, I only have just over 3 thousand miles on the vehicle and I dont drive it that often since I have a company truck so I actually cant believe that Im having problems with it already. Im starting to think that the Bose car audio line is nothing more than a joke really.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:33 pm

I've been happy with my Bose system. However, if you are looking to upgrade, it's better to have a non-Bose system. It just make things a lot easier!

Return to “R51 Electrical”