What's this sound?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

What's this sound?

Postby DanJetta » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 am

Welcome to this week's edition of... What's That Sound?!?

It's an intermittent squeaking coming from the front at low speeds while applying the brakes -- only when going over bumps. At first I thought it's just the pads but then noticed that it only happens when going over bumps.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fODmBhCSec

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:39 am

It's your hood latch. 99% sure. Wrap some black electrical tape around the strike and you'll be 100% squeak free.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:42 am

I've fixed the hood squeak, so thats gone (thank God!). This is a lightly different pitch and definitely coming from the wheel wells.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: What's this sound?

Postby NVSteve » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:52 am

DanJetta wrote:Welcome to this week's edition of... What's That Sound?!?

It's an intermittent squeaking coming from the front at low speeds while applying the brakes -- only when going over bumps. At first I thought it's just the pads but then noticed that it only happens when going over bumps.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fODmBhCSec
Just to be clear: only when going over bumps with the brakes applied, correct? Where did you mount the GoPro (or whatever you used for video)? Very cool. Hadn't thought about that type of use for one of those things.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 am

Darn....it really sounded like the hood. What kind of shape are the pads? Maybe it's the recording...but it sounds a little like a pad squealer..maybe the pad is moving around and the squealer is dragging?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:38 am

Correct, only when going over bumps with the brakes applied. I mounted the GoPro in the passenger wheel well looking forward and outward (if you look closely you can see the reflection of my car in the cars I pass). I'm on a mission to eliminate all annoying sounds, which may end up being the end of me! You'd think coming from a VW I'd be accustomed to weird rattles and squeaks.

Good thought about the squealer. I'm going to take the wheel off tonight and have a closer look at the pads.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”