PLEASE HELP!! NEW MEMBER WITH TRANNY QUESTION!

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

Pathyrob

PLEASE HELP!! NEW MEMBER WITH TRANNY QUESTION!

Postby Pathyrob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:29 am

Hi everyone

Im sorry for posting this on the transmission section but I am a new member and would like to say that I love my 2006 pathy SE model. I like to keep my vehicles in tip top shape and every time there is a problem I fix it immediately. Ive had my pathy for a little over two years now and have had nice trips and memories with it. Ok so now comes the advice I seek from you guys. The issue is that I do have 136000 miles on it and have had to put some money into it already like replacing the U joints and fuel pump last year along with other things that are minor. I also need to paint it since the paint is chipping off in a small section ( $2000 job ) but nothing major as I will wait a little on that. So now the SES light came on and the truck seemed like it did not catch into gear. I immediately parked it to avoid any further damage. So the next day I turned it on and it work perfectly fine but the SES light remained on. I took it to the dealer to have it checked and after paying $100 ( for the diagnostic check ) it turns out that the the truck is reading a DTC code of P1759 ( F/B Solenoid ). The positive thing is that this is NOT an issue with the radiator mixing in with the tranny. However the tranny still needs to be replaced! Dealer wants to charge me $8500 since he said they will also need to replace the radiator and advised for me to go to a Transmission shop to just rebuild the tranny. I took to the shop and the guy confirmed that the problem is the solenoids in the transmission. The job to replace it will be roughly $2700 ( including the tax ) and a 1 year warranty. He said that if I plan on selling the truck right now is the time to do it before things get worse. My Pathy is paid off and right now in my current situation I cannot afford any car payments or even want to risk buying a used car that most likely has issues of its own. If I rebuild the transmission on my pathfinder how long will it usually last? The one year warranty is good but my concern is after that year period. I will be treating it with lots of TLC and do its maintenance every 30000 miles to keep it fresh. A friend of mine suggested to just sell it because once they have touched the transmission it will never be the same and will eventually have issues again. So I feel like im in a tough situation right now. Have any of you had to rebuild the transmission and what was eventually the outcome?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:01 pm

There really is no way of telling how long any mechanical part will last, new or rebuilt. A lot of that depends on experience and ability of the transmission shop. I deal with one transmission shop and they are excellent, but I've also dealt with a lot of transmission shops that are not so good. The Nissan 5-spd. AT is a good, albeit complicated, transmission, so you want someone who knows what they are doing. If done right, it could last for many years.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”