Finally got new tires

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Oly 22

Finally got new tires

Postby Oly 22 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Was looking forward to getting new tires but did not expect I would need as soon as I did. Once the OEM tires hit the wear bar, they lost rubber extremely quickly, I was quite surprised. Decided on the BFG All Terrian T/A KO's LT285-65/R18. They make a big difference in ride and looks. Having a bit of vibration, periodically, in the steering wheel now. Took Doc's advice and had taken before and after pictures. Thanks for everyone's comments and input.
Image[/img]

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 08, 2013 8:19 pm

when do you get the vibration, what speeds, while turning or straight, etc?

i know that in the beginning i did get sort of a vibration while turning, and i attributed it to the blocky shoulders. it was just barely noticable, but i noticed. almost like when you go over those rumble strips on sides of roads or coming up to certain stop signs (just not as harsh as those)

oh, and the pics don't seem to be working.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 08, 2013 8:19 pm

nm, pics working now.

looks great!

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 pm

It seems random and on straight always only and at city speeds. Steering wheel vibrates but not too bad. Have not been on highway yet. Just had them installed this morning. Noticeable rubbing on rear mud flap and rear portion of wheel well but expected this.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Very nice, jealous...

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

Looks much better! Once you've had them on the highway a bit I'd be interested to know about the noise levels compared to to OEM.

FLpathFinder

Postby FLpathFinder » Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am

Nice man, making me want those tires! Still have about 5k left on these.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:13 pm

leadpig wrote:Looks much better! Once you've had them on the highway a bit I'd be interested to know about the noise levels compared to to OEM.
Thanks. Marginally louder on city streets but not bad at all. Will post, when I have had a chance to hit the highway.
FLpathFinder wrote:Nice man, making me want those tires! Still have about 5k left on these.
I understand they sell really, really good coffee, in Seattle. That ought to do it. Road Trip!
staynlean wrote:Very nice, jealous...
Thanks
doctahjones wrote:nm, pics working now.

looks great!
Thanks.

Will try and take pictures, from different angles and post.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am

Looks great! I'm sure you liked it before, but I bet you are now cringing at how it used to look vs how it looks now.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:15 am

NVSteve wrote:Looks great! I'm sure you liked it before, but I bet you are now cringing at how it used to look vs how it looks now.
Absolutely, you read my mind. I always thought it looked good before but now I see the difference, this is the way they should have looked. Now I can't wait to drive the back roads up to Whistler.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:33 pm

Had a chance to run on the highway today and again there is a very marginal increase in noise. I tried with the windows up and down, it really isn't bad at all. The Pathy feels much more solid and adhered to the road. There is enough clearance, when driving straight and corners but did rub on very tight turns. Did the heat mod and trimmed part of the mud flaps, there is no more rubbing. Really liking the way it looks and feels.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat May 11, 2013 10:49 pm

Oly 22 wrote:
NVSteve wrote:Looks great! I'm sure you liked it before, but I bet you are now cringing at how it used to look vs how it looks now.
Absolutely, you read my mind. I always thought it looked good before but now I see the difference, this is the way they should have looked. Now I can't wait to drive the back roads up to Whistler.

you wouldn't think that 'small' of a change would be that 'big' of a deal, but it really is. and yeah the road noise is really negligible, if even noticeable at all.

if you don't have one already, get a tire depth gauge. should be less than $5 at your auto parts store. keep a close eye on your tire pressure, and keep it very constant. check your tires for wear. i'm curious to see what you need to run them at to keep even wear. i have to keep mine around 42-45psi for them to wear evenly. rotate at least every 5k as well.

welcome to the 285/65/18 club :)

welcome to the 'i finally have traction!' club.

(and welcome to ~ -1mpg club! :) )

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun May 12, 2013 8:02 am

What load rating do they have?

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks Doc.
disallow wrote:What load rating do they have?
Load Range E
Maximum Load Single 1650kg
Maximum Load Dual 1500kg

Still feeling noticeable shake in steering wheel at 45+ MPH. Pathy has had two alignments since the lift. Could it need another alignment? Wheels were balanced, when tires where installed, out of balance?

cgray

Postby cgray » Sun May 12, 2013 7:48 pm

My guess is that you have thrown a weight to make them go out of balance. One probably didn't get installed quite right and it fell off.

I would go back and have them balanced again before you start digging any deeper into what might be the problem.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”