Finally got new tires

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun May 12, 2013 8:14 pm

i after a rotation i was getting a pretty good shake in the wheel.

took it back to have them rebalance. they called me over to the machine and showed me something unfortunate problem, the rim was bent. the rim was originally on the rear and then moved to the front (and then i felt the shake). i had just done an offroad trip so apparently i hit something while out.

i still haven't replaced that rim yet, it's just my spare.

sooooo did you do any offroading before the tire upgrade or anything?

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Will be making an appointment, to have the wheels checked, for balance and go from there.

As for off roading, some. Logging roads, in northern BC and mining roads, in the Rockies with a couple of trips to high altitude lakes. No rock crawling or anything too technical yet.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 13, 2013 5:36 am

Over time, rims can lose their roundness, which is easily checked by doing a runout check.

But on Oly's 2011, that shouldn't have happened yet, so if the rim is bent, it would have had to been an event of some kind.

Tires can be defective too. I once had some Coopers on my 98 civic, and it took me quite some time to convince the tire dealer that they were out of round. This occured within 5000km of installation, so the chances of it being something that I did were slim. They ended up replacing them with some Pirellis, which, incidentally, were the best tires I've ever owned since then.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Update;
Took the Pathy back and had the wheel balance checked and they are all perfect. Had a third alignment done, since the lift and all four wheels are now clearly in the green. Strange, I was told that there was no more adjustment left, by the alignment shop but the tire shop was able to get everything back into spec. Things that make you go hmm. Still notice a significant vibration in the steering wheel, again, mostly at speeds over 60km/h.

Any ideas what to check next? Would a tread, this aggressive, cause such a noticeable vibration? Defective tire? Thoughts?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu May 23, 2013 8:34 am

Oly 22 wrote: Would a tread, this aggressive, cause such a noticeable vibration?
No. Humming & extra noise are about the only things you'll notice, and that's marginal.
Defective tire? Thoughts?
I'm guessing you have a bum tire. Everything else was fine prior to this, so considering the only change is new tires, I'd blame the tire(s).

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

NVSteve wrote:
Oly 22 wrote: Would a tread, this aggressive, cause such a noticeable vibration?
No. Humming & extra noise are about the only things you'll notice, and that's marginal.
Defective tire? Thoughts?
I'm guessing you have a bum tire. Everything else was fine prior to this, so considering the only change is new tires, I'd blame the tire(s).
When I was in high school I worked as a tire boy in a couple tire shops. I've see this before where the tire didn't sit right on the rim. So a few time all we did was let the air out and spin the tire on the wheel 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 turn and filled it back up and rebalanced it. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. Worth a shot.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks NVSteve and Volvite. Back to the shop I go, for round two and have them look specifically at the tires.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:59 am

Update. I went back to the shop and I am told that I have warped front rotors but they are not bad enough to change out, at this time. Not surprised based on how many times I drive the mountain passes and the Coquihalla Highway, even when I gear down. I did not have a vibration, in the steering wheel, before the new tires. Question, would warped front rotors cause vibration, in the steering wheel, when driving a straight line at speeds over 40MPH, without using the brakes?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:14 am

Oly 22 wrote:Update. I went back to the shop and I am told that I have warped front rotors but they are not bad enough to change out, at this time. Not surprised based on how many times I drive the mountain passes and the Coquihalla Highway, even when I gear down. I did not have a vibration, in the steering wheel, before the new tires. Question, would warped front rotors cause vibration, in the steering wheel, when driving a straight line at speeds over 40MPH, without using the brakes?
i've warped ALOT of rotors in my time (not in the pathy though), and there was one time that you could just barely feel a vibration in the steering wheel because they were -so- warped. i mean it was a violent shake when you did apply the brakes, so there so no doubt it was the rotors themselves.

now in all of my other warped rotor experiences, you never knew they were warped until you touched the brakes. no vibrations at all.

sounds like they're grasping at straws to avoid something else....ask them to -show- you the warp-age. they should either be able to take the rotor off and put it on the resurfacing machine to show the wobble, or spin the wheel somehow to show you. if they -can't- show you, then how do they know it's the rotor in the first place? :)

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am

I agree with Doch. Sounds like they are unsure where the shake is coming from and figured this would be better for them instead of swaping out a tire.

Have you tried moving the front tires to the rear and the rears up front? See what this does to your steering.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for your comments doctah. I didn't think the rotors would have an impact but wasn't sure.

I had thought about moving the front tires to the rear Volvite but just haven't got there yet. I guess that would confirm a bad tire. Guess, I will move them around, on the weekend.

Thanks for your advice, love this forum.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:11 am

I'm quite surprised to see a higher flow of vibration issues with these and the duratracs. As they seem to be the more popular tires we tend to use on these rigs.

I have yet to have any issues on my set-up with 295 65 18's on an 18x9 with 19mm wheel adapters. Extremely smooth on the highway. And that's even that I've removed the front stabilizer bar.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Does this go away after 10-15 mins if highway driving? Just curious, as I had some similar issues and it was due to flat spots developing from sitting overnight, once the tires warm up things were fine. Also, I'm curious if that balancing machine is in good shape?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 pm

I just went through the same thing with another car. I got new tires and went back three times for a rebalance/alignment. The tire shop never thought to tell me the rim was ever-so-slightly bent. Finally went to a rim repair place who tested, fixed, and balanced the rim for $125 and everything was good as new.

The guy said that when you have a bent rim the tire will compensate in how it wears. That's why you suddenly feel the vibration when you put a new tire on that rim.

Just a thought.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Update, finally had time to get back to the shop and had the front tires moved to the rear. Vibration is completely gone. Much happier :) . Now to determine which is the bad tire and have it replaced, in the rear. The shop has been very helpful and will order one or two new tires, as required.

Thanks, to everyone that responded and your comments and suggestions.

Oly

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”