Voltage Gauge moving Up and Down

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

jlocal

Voltage Gauge moving Up and Down

Postby jlocal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Hello Path People, I need help with my 2009, 4.0 SE. My voltage gauge always would stay about 1/4 down from the top of gauge. Last night, I saw it slowly moving down, and at the same time my BRAKE light and BATTERY icon starts to flash, then it goes back up. It did this several times on the way home. When I got home I put a meter on the battery and it was at 12.3 NOT running. I started it and my reading was 14.9, 14.8. It did the same thing tonight, and I believe my lights were dimming. I'm guessing alternator, because the battery is 6 months old. Could this be anything else??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 pm

It sounds like a bad alternator, but keep in mind that the alternator is controlled by the ECM. Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight, because 2007 and later are known for issues due to battery cable ends that aren't tight on the battery post. If you want to be sure it's the alternator, then follow the test procedure outlined in the factory service manual. Nico Club's site has free Nissan manuals available online. Also, while they are more expensive, it's best to stick with genuine Nissan reman alternators rather than aftermarket parts.

jlocal

Postby jlocal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks for the info, My battery cables are clean and tight. I will check that online manual also and start looking into, how to change the alternator.
Thanks again.

Return to “R51 Electrical”