Planning to tow 3000 miles round trip, how crazy am I?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Ross Carlson

Planning to tow 3000 miles round trip, how crazy am I?

Postby Ross Carlson » Sun May 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Subject says it all - here's the deal. I'll be towing from Denver to Atlanta at the end of next month. Have a 2008 Pathfinder V8 and a 20 ft enclosed trailer. Whole rig is about 6k lbs, Pathfinder is rated at 7700. I've towed it once in town and power we ok (not great, not bad) but the suspension sagged like a 90 year old prostitute. Just finished the install of my air bags today and will test them this coming weekend.

I'm not so much concerned about the suspension but am slightly concerned about power, specifically on the climb back home. I assume it'll be a 24-26 hour drive, over 2 days with me and my pup Daisy. I have a mount in the Pathy for my Surface so I'll load up a bunch of movies and TV to pass the time. (Please, no lectures on that - I don't "watch" anything, I just listen and only put on things I've seen many times so I'm not tempted to look at it)

I've done this drive twice, once when I moved here in '99 (but obviously only one way) and back in 2008 in my 350z. Honestly in the 350 it wasn't too bad (had a video system in that car too so movies really passed the time). In it I did the trip in just over 17 hours. I'm guessing I'll get something like 10mpg towing so I'll be stopping every 200 miles just for fuel (am guessing $1200 in fuel alone).

So tell me gents - how crazy am I??? Would love input from any of you that have towed long distances (and the rest of you can chime in too!)

-Ross

cgray

Postby cgray » Sun May 12, 2013 7:57 pm

I dont see any problems there. After putting in the airbags you should be all set. How much pressure are you planning on putting in the bags for the trip? 15-20?

Can you balance the trailer any to make the tongue weight less? That should also help with some of the sagging. I also assume you have trailer brakes so stopping shouldn't be a problem.

Ross Carlson

Postby Ross Carlson » Sun May 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Not sure on pressure yet but yes, something like that. I'll have 3-4 tows before I head to Atlanta so I have some time to test and figure that out. I can balance the car pretty well, in fact the first time I loaded it the tongue was lighter as I had the car too far back. Since I won't be camping in it I can leave all that gear and save all that weight.

Yes on trailer brakes, and I bought a Tekonsha P3 (pretty much the nicest controller I could get). Considering my entire rig is worth near $100k I figure $150 for a controller wasn't really splurging. So far I'm glad I have it.

I suppose what I'm most concerned about it exhaustion. I've done 16-18 hours before (only plan 12 at a time this trip) but those trips haven't been a rolling 10,000 lbs mass. For those of you that have done a long tow am I right that it's more tiring than just a drive?

All other advice welcome...

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 am

Ross Carlson wrote:I suppose what I'm most concerned about it exhaustion. I've done 16-18 hours before (only plan 12 at a time this trip) but those trips haven't been a rolling 10,000 lbs mass. For those of you that have done a long tow am I right that it's more tiring than just a drive?

All other advice welcome...
I do a ton of towing with my Ram Diesel but much heavier and longer trailers (40' 12,000# min). Anytime you have weight and a long trailer to deal with you'll be more exhausted then flying along without a care in the world. Passing takes extra precautions, watching other knuckleheads, watching further ahead for braking. It's mentally exhausting for sure. I use my PF for smaller loads, shorter distances. Usually no more than 4,000# as it's more comfortable and has more room for people. It's a comfortable towing vehicle and I don't have many complaints about the power out on the highway (and I'm just running the V6). I had about 3,000# on a couple weekends ago and did about 400 miles and honestly it tows as good or better than some full-size trucks I've owned with gas engines. At least from a power perspective.

I run my airbags at 25psi all the time. When I tow I run them up to 35psi regardless of load size.

Ross Carlson

Postby Ross Carlson » Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 am

I run my airbags at 25psi all the time. When I tow I run them up to 35psi regardless of load size.
Is that the pressure before or after you connect the trailer?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:19 am

Ross Carlson wrote:
Is that the pressure before or after you connect the trailer?
25psi is for everyday driving. I air them up to 35psi before hooking up to a trailer. 25 is a little rough when empty but it make the handling far better. Plus I don't mind loading up a bunch of people or stuff as there's no sag and at that point the ride is much improved.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 13, 2013 7:34 am

Just keep an eye on your RPMs to make sure your not slipping too bad and you should be OK!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Planning to tow 3000 miles round trip, how crazy am I?

Postby NVSteve » Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 am

Ross Carlson wrote:
So tell me gents - how crazy am I??? Would love input from any of you that have towed long distances (and the rest of you can chime in too!)
Not crazy at all. I drove from Reno to Miami a number of years back in a Toyota SR5 pickup, while towing another vehicle. That little 4 banger could only hit 55mph max, which meant it REALLY sucked. Not only that, but the low beams were busted-I had to drive at night with the high beams on. Took me 3 days, mostly napping here and there at rest stops along the way. I would love to be able to do the same trip using the Pathfinder. You shouldn't have any problem.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm

i did two round trips from dallas to the southwestern corner of georgia (americus to be exact) when we moved my grandma from her house to my moms house.

first time was pulling the largest 1 axle uhaul trailers from ga -> tx. it did take a bit longer than i had planned. i can make it in 13 hours when not pulling anything, but it took is 16 since i didn't go as fast and such. not sure of the weight, but i'm guessing only around 1000lbs+ 900lb trailer. i don't think i put enough weight on the tongue because everytime we went over rough bumps i could hear/feel the tongue bouncing up and down on the receiver. never came loose or anything, just worry some.

second time was pulling that dual axle uhaul back, whatever that largest enclosed size you can get. that time i apparently i didn't load that one correctly left/right either. i had some horrendous trailer sway anytime i'd get over about 67mph. that time i think it was probably 2000lbs + 1920lb trailer.

powerwise it wasn't bad. you could definitely feel you were pulling something, but the v8 never seemed to struggle. didn't really have any hills or anything though.

i'd agree on the wariness of the driver when pulling. you have to pay alot more attention to everything while driving, and when you're having to concentrate for that long it can really wear you out. luckily i had my brother with me so i was able to trade off a couple times.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 13, 2013 9:30 pm

I have an 08 V8 as well, but I think the tow capacity is only 7000.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon May 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Just throwing this out there...

I have done a LOT of towing in my life, mostly all with dually f-350's or other full size v8 trucks. I have only used my Pathfinder to tow once and was disappointed...

Now, I did have it over loaded. I guess I had about 6500 total and more tongue weight than I should have. It was too much for the Path, WAY TOO MUCH. Not safe for driving at all.

Swapped over to a stock 2010 F-150 that pulled the load much safer.

These are just my experiences and are certainly not bias towards any vehicle I mention, I Love my Path but it's not meant for the loads you are talking about, you will find out.

Yes I have the V6 but power was not the problem.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:27 am

staynlean wrote: Now, I did have it over loaded. I guess I had about 6500 total and more tongue weight than I should have. It was too much for the Path, WAY TOO MUCH. Not safe for driving at all.

Swapped over to a stock 2010 F-150 that pulled the load much safer.

These are just my experiences and are certainly not bias towards any vehicle I mention, I Love my Path but it's not meant for the loads you are talking about, you will find out.

Yes I have the V6 but power was not the problem.
All sounds reasonable. It's a very fine line when towing, particularly vehicles that hug the limit of payload capacity and tongue weight. You pretty much have to stay in the 10%-15% tongue weight to hit the payload limits on these if you're getting into the 6,000+ range. A longer vehicle will obviously take the overload better. Payload limits are a close game on most half-ton trucks these days as well, particularly with the bigger cab models. Some of them you can't even have more than one adult on board to hit the stated limits.

The V6 is rated for 6,500 and the V8 is rated 7,000.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 14, 2013 6:46 am

skinny2 wrote:The V6 is rated for 6,500 and the V8 is rated 7,000.
Incorrect.

In North America, the V6 is rated for 6000lbs, and as you said, the V8 for 7000.

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/2 ... gGuide.pdf

In Australia and Europe, the V6 is rated for 3000kg, or 6600lbs. But with that hitch, you can't use a WDH, it is quite different from what we have on our North American trucks.

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:11 am

disallow wrote:
skinny2 wrote:The V6 is rated for 6,500 and the V8 is rated 7,000.
Incorrect.

In North America, the V6 is rated for 6000lbs, and as you said, the V8 for 7000.

t
Yep you're right. My brain filed that one incorrectly. They also show 10% max tongue weight (600# for V6 and 700# for V8 ). That can be a tough nut to crack.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 14, 2013 7:26 am

Not to mention the limitation on 'Front Facing Area'. Max 60 sqft, or 8' x 7.5'.

This is an area that I definitely exceed with my travel trailer.

My trailer is 8' x 10'.

Return to “R51 General Chat”