research

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

patomwazi

research

Postby patomwazi » Thu May 30, 2013 3:50 pm

out window shopping for a car and....i am decided about an R51 pathy but all i read is about the trans getting soaked with coolant...went to the dealer here and a few mech shops here and nobody seems to have encountered this problem...is this problem only evident in american spec cars only(if there is a difference)...??...we get 48'C summers here...if that helps...what info could you advice...and how can i know the darn thing is about to fail before i buy any of the cars am looking at??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 30, 2013 4:43 pm

Earlier R51's are a lot more prone to the problem. 2005 though 2007 are the heaviest hit... I've heard of a few 2008's and one 2010 reported the failure here at the forum. So far, we haven't heard of any 2009 models, yet. According to Nissan, the 2005-2010 models are in the range of those affected. The key is to address the issue and not wait for the warning signs, especially if you are out of 8 year/80000 mile warranty ( the warranty goes to 100,000 miles, but it costs you after 80000 miles). The "early signs" of the problem include signs of ATF in the coolant or water (white streaks or custard) on the AT dipstick or in the drained fluid. Another sign is slipping or clunking when shifting, but usually by that point, it's too late. I would check the CARFAX report before purchasing one. The ones that are affected are mostly in North American. I believe someone in Australia report a problem and I don't recall hearing of problems with those made in Spain (they seem to suffer from broken rear door handles for some reason). If you buy one and want to take preventative measures, you can do the "bypass method," which involves removing the cooler hoses from the radiator and just using the factory installed auxiliary trans cooler in front of the AC condenser, on the right side. The other option would be to replace the radiator. The genuine Nissan radiator is supposedly updated, but lists for $550. Griffin Radiators was making an all-aluminum radiator for about the same price. Many are going with a new, aftermarket radiator. The Canadian-made Spectra Premium is a popular choice for around $130-160. I got a Chinese-made radiator from Parts Xpress on Ebay about 2 years ago. Back then it was $92 w/ free shipping and a lifetime warranty. It seemed well-built and I've had no problems. Last time I checked it was down to $73.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:56 am

thanks....so def a 2008 onwards would be a safe bet i guess...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:02 am

Well, 2009 and later...but the jury is still out... If it's out of the "no cost" warranty, I would still recommend the bypass or a new radiator unless you get a 2011 or 2012.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:40 pm

hey smj....what would be the difference between the R51s sold in the middle east and those sold in the north american market?..and regarding the radiator bypass does the fact that we have 48'C in summer affect the transmission in any way??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:06 am

We do see those sort of temperatures in the southwest USA. I remember going into Arizona and it being 136 degrees F., which is about 58 degrees C. I've never heard of any problems with the transmissions due to very hot weather. As far as the difference between US Pathys and Middle East Pathys. I'm not sure. I'm assuming the Middle East Pathys are made in Spain?

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”