Slow Down To Save Gas

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Slow Down To Save Gas

Postby Gray » Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 pm

A couple of interesting sites which give some info on speed vs mpg's.

http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

http://www.slowdowntosavegas.com/

I usually run about 65 mph highway speed but I've noticed that the mpg trip calculator will read better fuel economy at inner city freeway speeds of about 50 to 55 mph.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed May 21, 2008 5:08 am

You can run slower, but then you might get rear-ended by someone else talking on the cell phone going way faster than the speed limit not paying attention. I see it all the time with trunks used as braking boosters.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Slow Down To Save Gas

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 21, 2008 7:43 am

Greybrick wrote: I usually run about 65 mph highway speed but I've noticed that the mpg trip calculator will read better fuel economy at inner city freeway speeds of about 50 to 55 mph.

Interesting read, but I'm with boogyman. While mpg is important, protecting my own life is far more important to me, which means I'll be driving with the flow of traffic. We have quite a few sections of city streets that are posted 50mph, which means most go 60. The freeways within the city are posted 65mph, but everyone drives 70-80. The freeways 5 miles outside of the city are posted at 75mph, but of course everyone goes 80-90. And since nothing is close, I'll gladly go over the speed limit if it will shave a few hours off the total driving time. I do NOT have fond memories of the 55mph national speed limit, as every trip took bloody forever. As I've mentioned before though, my best mpg has been while driving over 75mph with a fully loaded (inside and out) vehicle. The slowest highways are posted at 65mph (Utah, Nevada, etc), but I have yet to get better mileage driving them. I do know that my older cars had a sweet spot around 55 or 60, meaning they were in the RPM zone & still had a bit of extra power on tap for passing or whatever. The Pathfinder doesn't feel like it's anywhere near it's sweet spot at 55 or 60.

Return to “General Automotive”