2005 Pathfinder Tranmission / Coolant Problem

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

martinberry52

2005 Pathfinder Tranmission / Coolant Problem

Postby martinberry52 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:58 am

Nissan dealership can be a joke. I recently had problems with my transmission shifting into OD while at low speeds. Took it to my local dealer that I have used since purchasing in 2006. They have serviced my SUV. My dealership repair shop said, and I quote: "your transmission and coolant are mixing which means you will need a new transmission, a new radiator, and you are certainly looking at at least $6,000 or more since you have a 4 wheel drive". In addition, there has been a roar and a squeak in the front end since 2007 (which I have documentation stating they could not find anything wrong with the front end- 3 times in the shop for this). I was very disappointed cause they said since my SUV had over 100,000 miles, I was on my own. Nissan would only help me with the first 3,000 IF I had less than 100,000 miles. WELL, I'm glad it wasn't 100,001 - caused then I'd be as screwed as everyone else that purchased an SUV from Nissan expecting quality workmanship. As a resort to the news, I went for a second opinion - yes that thing that everyone body does when it's a doctor! A local radiator shop went through my radiator and stated that it's in great condition. No signs of any transmission fluid and coolant exchange. Next was a local transmission shop where the transmission was put through a testing. At which the shop said my transmission was in great shape! However, they both told me that there was a noise in the front end! Hmmm??? that noise that I've had it in the dealership 3 times for where they couldn't find anything wrong??? Lastly, the front end shop where the technician told me I was LUCKY that I didn't drive it too far. The wheel assembly was about to fall out, along with the driveshaft. Hence, the noise that I've been hearing all along. After 1,200 dollars in front end repairs, my SUV shifts out perfectly find, runs fine, and drives fine. NO thanks to the Nissan Dealership. I'm sending in a formal complaint along with my proof of where Nissan said "nothing was wrong with the front end". I want to warn everyone NOT to TRUST your local dealerships, even if you think you are friends with them. Always get a second opinion! It saved me over $4000 dollars and a huge headache.

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Glad to hear you didn't have the notorious issue. I do recommend proceeding with a bypass to avoid the potential. we are all ticking time bombs here. Sadly, there is no mistaking what has happened to mine. I am definitely mixed! Good luck in your findings.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Having been a former Nissan Master Tech, I can tell you dealerships, just like any shop, are only as good as the individual that works on your vehicle. I've known a number of very good technicians that have worked in Nissan dealers as well as a lot of guys that I would even call qualified to be "mechanics," nevermind "auto technicians." The pay system is designed for production rather than quality of repair and it's rare to find a good technician that will actually take his time to properly verify and diagnose customer concerns. It all starts with the manufacturer that tries to beat every tenth of an hour possible out of the technician for warranty repairs, which leads to "shotgun repairs" and percentage guessing diagnostics because the manufacturer does not want to pay out of their pocket for their own mistakes and subpar quality part suppliers. They basically want top technician service from those they employe and expect them to work for dirt pay under the warranty flat rate system. In the end, the dealer and manufacturer suffer from poor service reputations that are largely caused by themselves at the expense of their customers. It's sad that it's that way, but it does keep the independent shops in business!

martinberry52

Postby martinberry52 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:16 pm

you both are correct. First of all, I made sure to have the bypass. Actually, Im bypassing through a transmission cooler instead of the radiator. Secondly, all repair technicians are not bad. The truth in all this is just what was stated.... Nissan company is allowing bad quality to be sold to the public and the dealerships are trying to fix all the problems. In my quest, I plan to let the company know my feelings and the troubles they have caused by ignoring what the public is going through with a product they invested a great deal of money into upon purchase and continual repairs when all this could have been avoided and the company would have repeated customers for the longrun IF only they'd done it right the first time. Thanks to you all! I personally learn the lesson of researching before purchasing AND of getting a second opinion instead of taking a person at their word. Sad day when you can't trust that a person's word is their word, but its true...... at least to me.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”