MTB...tie down Full-sus

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

patomwazi

MTB...tie down Full-sus

Postby patomwazi » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:17 pm

am lost for ideas on how to tie down my full sus MTB without it falling over or coming loose and not fall over the camping stuff...oh...not keen on a bike rack...pics could really help

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:28 pm

im not exactly sure what you mean.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:54 pm

darn!!....will post pics to get a sense of what i mean...

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:37 pm

I have an extra-large Santa Cruz Tallboy. I usually keep my seats down and just roll the bike in and out without disassembly (it's the main reason I have a Pathfinder) but there's lots of ways to get it in the truck. If you take the wheels off and turn the fork sideways, you can get it in behind the seats upright. You may have to drop the seat post if you're tall like me, and tuck the rear derailleur into the pocket created behind the right passenger seat, but it works.

That seems to be the most "space efficient" way I've found to put the bike in upright. If you want to do it with the seats folded down all sorts of options open up. If your bike isn't too tall like mine, cleanest way is to get some kind of fork mount/protection for the ends, remove the back wheel, drop the saddle, roll it in rear first and then bungee down the front of the bike.

If you head over to the Mountain Bike Review forums there's an entire Car and Biker forum devoted to this problem. Several threads of pictures of how people haul their bikes...somewhere in there you're likely to find an idea that fits your Pathfinder and bike!

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 am

i usually put down seats in the 3rd row and one side of the 2nd row...drop the saddle and remove the front wheel....roll the bike straight with with the rear wheel going in first...bunnjie cord it to the floor but the thing keeps sliding off the bunnjies and topples over...will check MTBR...

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:29 pm

buddy of mine has an X and ties it down the same way as i do but uses shorter bungees...hence super tight hold...MTBR wasnt too helpful..

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:07 am

patomwazi wrote:buddy of mine has an X and ties it down the same way as i do but uses shorter bungees...hence super tight hold...MTBR wasnt too helpful..
It sounds like you want solid stability. In that case I can think of a couple choices. Lean it up against the side and bunge it that way (there are hooks along the side), or get a fork mount from a bike shop and make a platform for the fork.

I've almost done this in the past but so rarely carry my bikes internally that I don't mess with it. Plus my saddle at full extension pushes up against the ceiling so I generally just make sure it's clean and use it to wedge the bike in :-D

Anyway, try looking for something cheap like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Bike- ... 7AodzRsAfA

In the right skewer size for your fork, and then get a large piece of wood to bolt it into. I recommend countersinking it on the back side or making feet for it so the board lies flat of course.

This will stabilize the front and make it a lot easier to keep the bike straight up and down...

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:32 am

the LBS said they had these but ran out will be coming soon so thinking of how to screw them into the floor without having to rip or drill anything...wasnt sure if thru-axle will fit...anyway ...same as you thinking wood plank...but where would the plank go...as for the saddle...i usually just take it off since..marked riding heights and its not a dropper post...

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:59 pm

I have 2 Yakima tray racks that mount to factor crossbars and have never had a problem with them. Being able to lock them on to the roof is also a nice feature.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:03 am

sorted for now...roof rack...not my cup of tea...super forgetful...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:25 am

I use a hitch rack for the bikes, but I use something a bit different for the Xterra. I used an old Thule load bar I had, then bolted a wheel mount and fork mount onto it, then bolted the load bar down on the inside of the Xterra to the tiedown channels on both sides. You could easily do the same for the Pathfinder. You could probably replace the 2 tie down points just inside the rear hatch on the floor with something you could attach a bar to. I have ours pushed to the side on the driver's side, and there is a ton of room for all the other gear. I don't believe I have a picture of mine (Flickr is down ATM), but here is something very similar to give you an idea:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/picture.ph ... ureid=1285

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:08 pm

thanks Steve....that is what i was thinking...what you have on the X....still trying to figure out how to bolt the cross bar to the floor without having to drill...speaking of trailer hitches...did some pathfinders come without a receiver...??...when i reach under the bumper its just a hole seems like i have to weld in a receiver....

Return to “R51 General Chat”