Smartkey and bluetooth questions

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Smartkey and bluetooth questions

Postby skinny2 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:56 am

So I'm throwing around the idea of buying a newer super low-mileage Pathfinder (not R52!!). I've not actually found one equipped the way I want it so I thought I would get some feedback here before I drive all over the place to find the right one.

The only option I wasn't able to get on my '08 that I wanted was bluetooth. Can someone with Bluetooth give a quick overview of how it works in the PF? Does any call info show up on the LCD? Does it work well? Can you play music through the connection?

It also appears that the models I want come with the Smartkey which isn't something I want...but will deal with it if I have to. Does the smartkey include remote start?

Homer J

Re: Smartkey and bluetooth questions

Postby Homer J » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:06 am

skinny2 wrote:So I'm throwing around the idea of buying a newer super low-mileage Pathfinder (not R52!!). I've not actually found one equipped the way I want it so I thought I would get some feedback here before I drive all over the place to find the right one.

The only option I wasn't able to get on my '08 that I wanted was bluetooth. Can someone with Bluetooth give a quick overview of how it works in the PF? Does any call info show up on the LCD? Does it work well? Can you play music through the connection?

It also appears that the models I want come with the Smartkey which isn't something I want...but will deal with it if I have to. Does the smartkey include remote start?

I have a '12 Silver Edition. The bluetooth is pretty user friendly. The controls are on the left side of the steering wheel. When a call comes in, after about the second ring, the phone number shows on the LCD. It also shows signal strength and battery status, which surprised me. I had a Chrysler Pacifica that would say the callers name if it was someone in your onboard phone book. I wish the Path did that.
No, you can't play music through the bluetooth connection. Mine has a headphone type plug on the bottom left side of the panel.

Smart key.
I would rather it was a push button start but you still have to turn the ignition switch as if you had a key. The key fob actually has a hidden key you can use if the fob battery dies. I do like the lock/unlock buttons on the outside door handles. The only thing I don't like is you can't lock the doors until they are all closed. Overall, I like the smart key system. I rarely take my keys out of my pocket.

Instead of driving all over looking, have you tried Carmax? I bought my last two cars there and had a pretty good experience.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks. Does the smart-key include remote start?

I've only found one silver addition within 200 miles! It's a private seller (over an hour away) which I'm interested in but I don't really want to waste their time until i'm sure I want to pull the trigger on this. Nearest Carmax is also an hour away.

Homer J

Postby Homer J » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 am

skinny2 wrote:Thanks. Does the smart-key include remote start?

I've only found one silver addition within 200 miles! It's a private seller (over an hour away) which I'm interested in but I don't really want to waste their time until i'm sure I want to pull the trigger on this. Nearest Carmax is also an hour away.
No, no remote start. The Silver usually doesn't have Sat Nav either.

Nice thing about Camax is they have lots of choices. If the one closest to you doesn't have the one you want in stock they can usually transfer one from another location, for a fee of course. I bought the 2007 Pacifica at the Carmax in Fredericksburg, Virginia and my Path at one in White Marsh, Maryland. Both places are almost two hours from where I live. Worth the trip in my opinion.

Good luck with your search.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Mine is an 08 with the Bluetooth and smartkey. I do have remote start. Push the lock button on my key fob twice and it starts up. Once I enter the vehicle, I then have to turn the key to the acc position and then it will allow me to put the vehicle in gear. If I don't have the key it won't turn to acc and if you touch the brake without turning the key, it will automatically shut down the car. LOVE IT. Works great in the summer and winter to cool or heat the car up some prior to my entry. 08 V8 LE For the WIN. :D

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:49 pm

volvite wrote:Mine is an 08 with the Bluetooth and smartkey. I do have remote start. Push the lock button on my key fob twice and it starts up. Once I enter the vehicle, I then have to turn the key to the acc position and then it will allow me to put the vehicle in gear. If I don't have the key it won't turn to acc and if you touch the brake without turning the key, it will automatically shut down the car. LOVE IT. Works great in the summer and winter to cool or heat the car up some prior to my entry. 08 V8 LE For the WIN. :D
Damn, I thought mine was loaded! I need to try that, but pretty sure mine doesn't have that.

2 items I've already noticed mine was missing was a front tow hook and tow harness.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:55 pm

NmexMAX wrote:
volvite wrote:Mine is an 08 with the Bluetooth and smartkey. I do have remote start. Push the lock button on my key fob twice and it starts up. Once I enter the vehicle, I then have to turn the key to the acc position and then it will allow me to put the vehicle in gear. If I don't have the key it won't turn to acc and if you touch the brake without turning the key, it will automatically shut down the car. LOVE IT. Works great in the summer and winter to cool or heat the car up some prior to my entry. 08 V8 LE For the WIN. :D
Damn, I thought mine was loaded! I need to try that, but pretty sure mine doesn't have that.

2 items I've already noticed mine was missing was a front tow hook and tow harness.
When I bought mine, the car salesman didn't even know. I showed him how it worked. Salesman for the most part are idiots. They know just enough to sucker in the weak.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 am

Do you know if you have an aftermarket remote starter? I looked at the "intelligent key" section in my manual and it doesn't say anything about remote start. I know there are aftermarket systems that you can install and program to operate off the OEM remote so I wonder if that's what you have?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 am

Not to sidetrack too much but I also recommend Carmax. I bought my Pathfinder there and am 98% happy with the buying experience (and I'm not 98% happy with anything, really). You have 30 days to make a list of everything that's not perfect and they'll fix it. They got new floor mats, a new remote for the DVD player and they guarantee an owner's manual for every car they sell. Almost every Pathfinder I saw at other dealerships had all of these things missing. Best of all, they replaced my hatch struts and control arm bushings a week after my warranty expired.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:58 am

Also, found this... don't think autostart was a factory option.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... f2a295d131

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:59 am

Same here. Wanted a V8 with leather NAV and 4x4, went through Carmax, they found one in VA, and shipped it to me. No haggle.

And dang it, I forgot to try the start trick.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 am

As for the remote start it could be aftermarket. All I know is it worked from day 1 when I bought the Pathfinder used. I don't see any aftermarket control boxes under the hood or inside the vehicle either. However I can hit the lock button twice and it starts. If I hit them twice again it will shut the vehicle off as well.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:57 pm

I don't believe the R51 came with remote start as an option. I have a 2011 V8 LE with practically every bell and whistle imaginable. It does not have remote start. I thought I saw it on the build sheet when I bought it but that was something about "keyless start" rather than "remote start." I dug through the owners' manual and couldn't find anything about remote start.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 am

You're right it wasn't offered as factory. I went to look at this one a couple weeks back. He had bought it new and there's no remote start. I did a little research and there is an aftermarket you can add (forget the name now) that will use the OEM remote which sounds like what Volvite has.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:42 am

My dealer has an Nissan OEM remote start package for $370 installed IIRC. It could be that.

Return to “R51 General Chat”