OME Suspension Lift

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

pdslug

OME Suspension Lift

Postby pdslug » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:36 pm

I finally got my OME suspension installed last Friday! Overall, I like it alot. I think the ride is better, and I really like the way it looks. Got pretty much exactly 2" lift on all 4 corners.
The VDC did kick in one time when I was going around a fairly tight cloverleaf entrance ramp about 35 mph. It was a right-hand curve, and the VDC activated on the LF wheel.
Had the install done at a local 4x4 shop. They seemed to know what they were doing, but I think I will drive it for awhile then take it back to get the alignment checked again.

Here are a couple before and after pics.
Before the lift:

AFter:

After:

[/img]

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:51 pm

Great photo's, looks like the OME lift took care of the average PF saggy butt syndrome, :lol:
...how much height increase did you get as measured in the rear tirewell.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:09 am

Looks nice! Make sure you post your upcoming alignment findings.

Anyone else having a bit of squeak on the front OME suspension? I only hear it when hitting good bumps, but it is becoming a bit annoying. Might have to try spraying it with something to see if it helps.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 am

NVSteve wrote:Anyone else having a bit of squeak on the front OME suspension?
No noises on mine. Just started DD'ing it a few weeks ago though so maybe something will pop up.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:32 am

NVSteve wrote: Anyone else having a bit of squeak on the front OME suspension? I only hear it when hitting good bumps, but it is becoming a bit annoying.
Yeah - I have noticed a noise in the front suspension when going over large bumps... not really a squeak, more of a not-good metal scraping noise. Also discovered at 70mph my steering wheel has a fair amount of vibration going on. Obviously I have some front-end align problems. Im not as happy today as i was a couple days ago :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:44 am

pdslug wrote: Yeah - I have noticed a noise in the front suspension when going over large bumps... not really a squeak, more of a not-good metal scraping noise.
Mine's definitely a squeak. Sounds very much like it is coming from the springs, which isn't that uncommon on any 4x4. Extremely dry weather doesn't help much either.
Also discovered at 70mph my steering wheel has a fair amount of vibration going on. Obviously I have some front-end align problems. Im not as happy today as i was a couple days ago :)
I couldn't tell from your original post that you had an alignment after the install. It may have been inferred, but I just didn't get that feeling. If you haven't had the alignment done, you should get it done pronto. That OME is a drastic change-I wouldn't feel safe driving it w/out an alignment.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:32 am

Not to beat a dead horse but if the rear is out of spec it will effect the readings on some equipment ie: if your rears are "a little off" even it the fronts show to spec it may not be the case.
If you can't get your rears to spec your pin may be fused to the sleeve of the bushing in your rear lower link (as were mine). A new set of lower links will fix the problem.

Only 4k on the OME so far, no squeaks yet if anything it's way quieter for me.

mcm4090

Postby mcm4090 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:49 pm

looks good.

Krafty

Postby Krafty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 am

I understand if you don't want to tell, but how much did the local shop charge for install? Did they buy the OME setup or did you buy it and only have them do the install? It looks great with the extra 2"!!

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:45 am

Krafty wrote:how much did the local shop charge for install? Did they buy the OME setup or did you buy it and only have them do the install?
They wanted to order the parts themselves. If I ordered, they were going to charge slighly more for the install. Anyway, the parts and install was $1000. Not sure if the parts went up in price or what - they were back ordered for almost a month, and when they finallly came in - they said the parts plus shipping was $840. Seems a little high, but I was ok with the overall price.

On another note, it seems the suspension is settling down a bit - not getting the vibration hardly at all at high speeds, and the sqeaky noises are about gone. Still get the VDC kick in occassionaly, so will take it back for an alignment check after 1k miles.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Guys - I'm taking my PF back to the shop tomorrow for a re-alignment. Also, I have noticed the noises are not settling down as I thought they were. I sometimes get quite a bit of "chatter" from the front end. I checked through some old posts and found that the installer should install the old dust shields and washers on the OME fronts. Well, I checked my box of old parts, and yes the red dust cover and large washers are there - not installed.
My question - is it important to install the plastic dust cover and the washer, or just the washer?
Thanks for your help.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:51 am

If IIRC you absolutely need both. I left just the dust cover out on one side of mine and it left too much space and allowed a rattle. Another member (can't remember who) had both the washer and the dust cover I think and it pushed all the way through the top mount of the strut.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 am

pdslug wrote:I sometimes get quite a bit of "chatter" from the front end. I checked through some old posts and found that the installer should install the old dust shields and washers on the OME fronts.
You absolutely need the washer in place so that the strut doesn't shoot itself through the rubber mounts, leaving you with lots of noise, squishy springs & non useful struts. Blink noticed his "problem" right away. It took me a few hundred miles & then maybe 15 or so miles on really bad offroad before my strut "popped" through and made the noise from hell.

Talk to your installer & let them know the dust cover should have been installed. I was able to get my installer to put them on free of charge since they should have known better & carry ARB products.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 pm

Well, some good news, and not so good news.
I got the dust covers and washers installed (free of charge), and it makes all the difference in the world! The chatter and other noises are gone from the front end! The ride is great!

The not so good news, is they did a re-align, and could not get the rears in spec - the toe is out of spec. THey said the toe was adjusted as far as it could go, and they still could not get it in spec. I remember Fofiddy got new rear lower links, and that solved his problem. I asked the guy about that and he said mine were fine... but I'm not sure he understood what I was asking. Well, here is the printout. What do you think?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Seems like quite a bit. Did you flip back to the other thread where we posted up a few different alignment results & compare? Maybe things just haven't settled much. Maybe a Saturday spent offroad, giving the suspension a good workout might help. I don't know how far out of spec something needs to be on our vehicles to be considered bad/dangerous.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”