Plastidip question

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

staynlean

Plastidip question

Postby staynlean » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 am

So, after this has been sprayed on and it's time to wash the area Plasti dipped, does the dipped area wash well? I mean, does it look clean, new and shiny like it was just sprayed on?

I've never messed with it but it seems like it would just not wash well. Correct me if I am wrong here, i'm looking to do the rocker panels ans maybe some of the front lower bumper (where the nice metal bezel goes on the LE's)

Lot's of you all are using this stuff, let me know how it cleans up...

akley88

Postby akley88 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 am

I've never had an issue with it before coming clean

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:49 am

mine have always still looked a little dirty, and getting dirt out without scrubbing/spraying too hard has always been a concern.

my fix was to use tire shine on it. now some do better than others, and some just suck. the foaming tire shine from armorall would be spotty, but i had good luck with the aerosol version here:
http://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-77958-E ... re+cleaner

makes the 'rubber' look all good and stuff :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 am

doctahjones wrote:getting dirt out without scrubbing/spraying too hard has always been a concern.
Of course I don't have the link handy, but there is a youtube vid showing a guy using a pressure washer on his plasti dipped car with no problem.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 am

oh i've pressure washed mine, and taken it through automatic car washes with the tire scrubbers and not had a problem. however i'm not going to put a pressure washer closer than 6in to my coated areas, plus even then sometimes it doesn't have the -black- black color.

tire shine seems to do exactly like what it does to 'dirty' looking tires....makes the black -black- again.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 pm

Thx for the reply's, I like to keep mine clean and if plastidip does not clean well or looks weathered after a short while I might just paint these areas. I'm gonna buy a can and spray something random like part of the lawnmower and see how it does.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:56 am

well it stays as clean as your tires. so if you already use stuff on your tires, use that on your plasti and it will look as good as your tires.

sunpro2010

Postby sunpro2010 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am

the only color I have had a problem keeping clean is white. One thing you can do is use the glossifier. this makes it clean almost like paint. there are cleaners on dipyourcar.com that keep your dipped parts looking new.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Yeah, that is all i was wondering. I dont mind having to take care of it like the other black plastic pieces around the truck like the mud guards, step boards, tail gate step, windshield cowling and all. I just want to be able to keep it looking good.

I sprayed part of my lawn mower in the very front about 3 weeks ago and after the summer is over i will wash it and see how it has held up. Honestly, so far it looks fine and if all i have to do is keep armor all on it i'm sold. Thanks for the reply's again guys...

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Yeah, that is all i was wondering. I dont mind having to take care of it like the other black plastic pieces around the truck like the mud guards, step boards, tail gate step, windshield cowling and all. I just want to be able to keep it looking good.

I sprayed part of my lawn mower in the very front about 3 weeks ago and after the summer is over i will wash it and see how it has held up. Honestly, so far it looks fine and if all i have to do is keep armor all on it i'm sold. Thanks for the reply's again guys...

nismofan

Postby nismofan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:39 am

I agree that using glossifier really makes the plastidip shiny after cleaning it.

Return to “R51 General Chat”