Do stainless brake lines help that much

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Clay350

Do stainless brake lines help that much

Postby Clay350 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:03 am

I am looking to improve my breaking. I allready have frozen rotors and new pads. Will stainless lines help that much?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 am

I've never noticed a difference. Had them in a few cars.

The theory is there, and it's a good relatively affordable option and easy enough to install, so why not.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am

this is something i've been thinking about too.

i've swapped out pads and rotors, replaced that booster vacuum $5 part, and still the brakes are so spongy and seem like they're underrated for the truck. i mean i really have to get on them to stop and it's been that way since i got it at 23k miles.

i had rented a jeep liberty a few weeks back while out of town and those brakes stop on a dime with little effort.

i will admit that i haven't changed out the fluid yet and i'm at 75k miles. but i mean it's a closed system right so it shouldn't really break down that badly right?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 am

My brakes are the same ever since I got the vehicle.

I think it's just an R51 thing.

Although, when I added SS lines, I did notice somewhat of a difference, but I attribute it to the bleeding that's required when changing lines, not necessarily the lines themselves. Only reason for that is because they were super spongy when I bought it, to the point where every time I braked I was like, hmmm, I need to bled these things.

But then again, it might have been the lines.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 am

I have upgraded my pads and rotors. My brakes still suck. When its icy I will be at idle with my foot HARD on the brakes. I will be still be moving forward because my rear brakes just wont grab and my front are locked up. WHat a joke. I need to figure a way out to get my rear brakes more involved. The thing is that I dont think anything is malfunctioning.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 01, 2013 9:48 am

Clay350 wrote:I have upgraded my pads and rotors. My brakes still suck. When its icy I will be at idle with my foot HARD on the brakes. I will be still be moving forward because my rear brakes just wont grab and my front are locked up. WHat a joke. I need to figure a way out to get my rear brakes more involved. The thing is that I dont think anything is malfunctioning.

yup, exactly. i don't think anything is -wrong-, it's just the stock stuff isn't cutting it....

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:22 am

The ss lines help prevent the lines from swelling when they get hot from heavy use. The lines themselves won't really improve braking. Their help is seen after repeated hard stops. If live in a hilly area you probably have noticed brake fade from riding the brakes. This where baving good pads, rotors, fluid and ss lines Will be noticed.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 01, 2013 11:23 am

Anyone ever look at those puny rear brake pads? No wonder our Pathfinders won't stop!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed May 01, 2013 1:00 pm

I have found myself searching for others with the same 'spongy brake pedal' issues. Glad to see I'm not alone.

I haven't done any brake service for some time though. I plan to do a brake fluid change this summer. If summer ever gets here.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 01, 2013 1:38 pm

akley88 wrote:The ss lines help prevent the lines from swelling when they get hot from heavy use. The lines themselves won't really improve braking. Their help is seen after repeated hard stops. If live in a hilly area you probably have noticed brake fade from riding the brakes. This where baving good pads, rotors, fluid and ss lines Will be noticed.
i talked to a coworker/buddy of mine (big mustang super-upper kind of guy, changes out his own engines, his dad owns a car repair shop, etc) and said that the ss lines would lessen the 'lag' from the time you push to the time you stop. basically that the rubber lines do swell some when you start pushing the pedal, and the ss lines will not swell. so that 1/4 second it takes for the brakes to start to grab would be lessened.

overall braking however wouldn't change and it would still take about the same amount of pedal force to stop.

i figure after vegas i'll look into ordering some ss lines, and will do a brake fluid flush at the same time.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:25 pm

im planning at some point to replace pads, rotors, lines,and fluid to help this thing stop better. maybe i will see if i can find better calipers too.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:26 pm

I cant find any upgradeable calipers for the rear. I have heard many people on different cars have drilled out the proportioning valve slightly to get the rear brakes more involved. Right now mine do nothing.

I compared parts to an armada and they have the same setup. Man that would suck having an extra 700 or whatever pounds on this system.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm

i wonder if brembos could be fit with an adapter plate,

akley88

Postby akley88 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:00 pm

i figured i would pump this thread because im looking at changing all pads rotors, lines and fluid. i was wondering if i would have any issues using the goodrich lines with the rancho lift, the bigger tires and i just ordered the dreaded body lift.

canderso

Postby canderso » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:35 am

I haven't looked at the service manual to see what is recommended by Nissan, but I know VW recommends full brake fluid change every 2 years. While the system is a sealed system, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning, it likes water or readily absorbs water.

Every time you open the lid on the brake fluid reservoir, you have the potential to introduce water into the fluid simply from the humidity in the air. This will happen during initial fill and any inspections along the way. (i.e. every oil change when they are also supposed to inspect your fluids). If you retain a partially filled bottle of brake fluid and use that to add fluid on occasion, you are likely introducing small amounts of water without knowing it.

Any bit of moisture introduced to this closed system can contribute to poor braking.

Not saying this is your problem, or any Pathfinder owner's problem, but this is a small contributing factor for brake fluid to break down over time and need flushed and replaced periodically.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”