Keyless remote programming

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

penoe01

Keyless remote programming

Postby penoe01 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:14 am

I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE. I ordered a used factory remote from ebay and I am unsuccessful at getting it to work. I used programming instructions I found online and the hazard lights flashed as it should according to the instructions. However, I still can't get the remote to lock or unlock the vehicle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 am

Well, it's probably one of these problems:
-Dead battery in used remote.
-Bad used remote.
-Wrong remote for that vehicle.

The battery is cheap enough to replace. If that doesn't work, some shops and most dealers have a device to check and see if the remote is transmitting a signal. If the remote is transmitting a signal but the vehicle is not recognizing it during the programming procedure, it is likely the wrong remote for that vehicle.

penoe01

Postby penoe01 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:04 am

The batteries are new. If the hazard lights flash while trying to program the remote wouldn't that confirm that it is transmitting?

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:37 pm

WHEN THE LIGHTS FLASH THE 1ST TIME IT'S THE CAR SENDING A SIGNAL

1.SIT IN CAR WITH DOORS AND WINDOWS CLOSED.

2.LOCK DOORS WITH POWER DOOR LOCK SWITCH ON DRIVER'S DOOR.

3.PUT IN AND PULL OUT KEY FROM IGNITION APPROX. 8 TIMES OR UNTIL YOU SEE THE HAZARD/TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS FLASH.(older models lights may flash after 4 or 5 times) YOU NEED TO DO THAT IN LESS THEN 10 SEC

4.WHEN HAZARD LIGHTS FLASH (ON 2005 AND NEWER MODELS THE GAUGE NEEDLES MAY JUMP A LITTLE INSTEAD) , PUT KEY IN IGNITION AND TURN TO THE ACC POSITION.(when your hazard lights flash your car is sending a signal to be received by the remote)

5.PRESS LOCK BUTTON ON THE NEW REMOTE TRANSMITTER, LIGHTS SHOULD FLASH AGAIN.

IF YOU HAVE 2 REMOTES, 1 NEW AND 1 OLD OR 2 NEW ONES, PLEASE CONTINUE WITH STEPS 6 AND 7. IF NOT, SKIP TO END.

6.PRESS UNLOCK BUTTON ON DRIVER'S DOOR, THEN LOCK BUTTON ON DRIVERS DOOR, LIGHTS WILL AGAIN FLASH

7.PRESS LOCK BUTTON ON 2ND NEW OR OLD REMOTE. LIGHTS AGAIN WILL FLASH.

YOU ARE DONE. EXIT VEHICLE AND TRY YOUR REMOTE. IT WILL NOT WORK FROM INSIDE CAR OR WITH KEY IN IGNITION.

Note: if your hazard lights flash after inserting your key in and out, but you can't get the remote to program, you may have a dead battery or the wrong remote. If instructions do not work, do it again but when you get in - shut the door, buckle seat belt and lock doors, then proceed to putting key in ignition

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”