Roller bearing inspection

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Bmatthews352

Roller bearing inspection

Postby Bmatthews352 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Im getting ready to do a front wheel bearing cleaning, inspection and repacking on a 2001 nissan pathfinder SE 4 wheel drive.

What am I looking for while inspecting the roller bearings?

Also i went to the auto parts store to buy new seals for my bearings and they weren't able to find just the seal. Do i have to buy a whole new wheel bearing just to get a new seal or should i be able to buy new seals individually?

Also is there a special grease i should use for the nissan pathfinder or do i just use the standard bearing grease packets from the auto parts store?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Some parts stores have trouble looking them up. They are called "wheel seals" and the Nissan part number is #40232-31G00. In Beck~Arnley, the number is #0523398. In Timken or National, it's # 710072. Personally, I prefer the genuine Nissan seals.

For the grease, Nissan specifies NLGI No. 2 Multi Purpose Grease (Lithium Soap Base). You have a number of choices at your local auto parts or department store and most will work pretty much the same. I usually pick up a 1-lb. can because it can be used in a number of areas and for multiple vehicle. I prefer a synthetic or semi-synthetic grease, like Mobil One or Valvoline Durablend Grease.

As far as the bearings, check for wear in the cage, signs of heat discoloration, pitting or scoring on the roller bearings and on the bearing races. Make sure not to overtighten the wheel bearings!

Bmatthews352

Postby Bmatthews352 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Thank you again my friend!!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”