My DIY Bose subwoofer fix

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

2gnt2wrx

My DIY Bose subwoofer fix

Postby 2gnt2wrx » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi everyone I'm new here but just wanted to share how I fixed a Bose subwoofer in my wife's 08 SE.

Recently the woofer box area started to make a horrible rattle noise and that's when I started doing a little digging. I found a lot of info on replacement speaker surrounds and figured that was most likely to be the problem. I also ran into another problem, no one carries a surround specifically made for our woofers leaving us with pretty much only one choice... using a universal kit. But before I went jumping to any conclusions I decided to pop out the rear panel and take a look at both the subwoofers. After removing all the fastiners holding the panel in place I got it out in about 15 minutes. To my surprise both woofers looked pretty much brand new with the foam surround completely intact. So I then proceeded to turn on the stereo and attempt to isolate which one was making all the wracket. It ended up only being the rear woofer in my situation. I removed it and started looking closely for anything wrong, and nothing really looked wrong until I compared it to the other subwoofer. The sub that was still working properly had a very nice thick bead of adhesive securing the opaque plastic center of the cone to the paper portion of the cone. The failed woofer looked like the bead barely had enough coverage to secure it at all and was separated in a few small spots. I was able to actually press lightly in on the plastic portion and watch the edge separate... this was the problem!

All I had to do was re-glue the opaque plastic center of the come to the paper portion. I simply ran a small bead of crazy glue around the edge of the plastic and let out dry. Re- install it and test it out. Now I'm sure there is most likely a better adhesive to use for this but crazy glue is what I had available and it worked. So don't run out and spend $500 on a new Bose sub box. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 pm

For those speakers that can't be fixed, the individual subwoofer speaker can be ordered from Bose Corp. for $60+shipping. I have a thread on my experiences with the subwoofer speakers on the forum.

Mallthus

Re: My DIY Bose subwoofer fix

Postby Mallthus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:34 pm

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:08 pm

nah, it's not worthless without pics. take off the rear panel and it's very easy to see what the OP is talking about.

btseagle98

Postby btseagle98 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 pm

I have a 2010. Do you have to remove all of the molding and/or rear seats to expose the speakers/woofer?

I have the same rattle noise going on and can only buss the front speakers. DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

Is there a video or step-by-step illustration for accessing the rear speakers on a 2010?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:37 pm

You don't have to remove the seats, but you do have to fold the left second row seat up and adjust the left, third row seat accordingly to maneuver the panel out through the back of the vehicle. The left rear door sill plate and cargo area sill plate need to be removed. There are two seatbelts that have anchor bolts that need to be removed. Pop the little plastic panel inside the wells of the cargo anchors to expose the hidden 10MM head bolts; remove the cargo anchors. Just take your time; it's a little tricky the first time, but after you've done it once, you can get it out in 15-20 minutes. There was someone who repaired their speaker with some crazy glue; his center dome had become unglued. On mine, the speaker coil had separated from the coil and needed repair (with hindsight, I would have replaced it).

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”