Pathfinder V8 vs 5.7L Durango - Towing Capacity

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

thejean

Pathfinder V8 vs 5.7L Durango - Towing Capacity

Postby thejean » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:29 pm

So, the Durango claims to be able to two 8750 lbs but the Pathfinder only claims 7500 lbs. Why the difference? The Durango 5.7 has more power but similar torque. The two chasis are very similar (the Durango is 2" taller/wider and 8" longer) and the GVWR's are almost identical. So, while the two are very similar (yes, the Durango is a bit bigger and has a tad bit more power), the Durango has almost 1250 lbs more capacity. I fail to see why? The only thing I can think of is that the Durango has solid axle with leaf springs but that should affect payload more than towing capacity I would think. Is Dodge just being agressive in their marketing or is there really a difference between the two? JC

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Pathfinder V8 vs 5.7L Durango - Towing Capacity

Postby disallow » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:57 pm

thejean wrote:So, the Durango claims to be able to two 8750 lbs but the Pathfinder only claims 7500 lbs. Why the difference? The Durango 5.7 has more power but similar torque. The two chasis are very similar (the Durango is 2" taller/wider and 8" longer) and the GVWR's are almost identical. So, while the two are very similar (yes, the Durango is a bit bigger and has a tad bit more power), the Durango has almost 1250 lbs more capacity. I fail to see why? The only thing I can think of is that the Durango has solid axle with leaf springs but that should affect payload more than towing capacity I would think. Is Dodge just being agressive in their marketing or is there really a difference between the two? JC
I think it has to do with the shorter wheelbase... The Armada has 9000lb tow capacity with same powertrain but 123.2" wheelbase vs 112.2" Pathfinder.

Of note is that the pathfinder v6 in australia has a 6600lb tow capacity, but in north america its 6000lbs. It must have to do with the calculation of GVW vs wheelbase vs actual vehicle weight done down under vs in the US.

t

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:39 pm

The brakes could have some influence in the rating. In my limited experience, the engine is far more capable than the brakes are. Trailer brakes are a must for heavy towing.

thejean

Postby thejean » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:34 pm

It sounds like payload may also be a limiting factor. So, with trailer brakes, air bags, anti-sway/weight distr hitch, would you both agree that I can go at least to the level of a stock Durango?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:27 pm

thejean wrote:It sounds like payload may also be a limiting factor. So, with trailer brakes, air bags, anti-sway/weight distr hitch, would you both agree that I can go at least to the level of a stock Durango?
No, wheelbase is definitely another limiting factor. Durango is listed at 119.2", and as I mentioned previously, the Pathfinder is 112.2".

In towing, its all about leverage, how much leverage the trailer exerts on the vehicle will affect driveability while under tow.

I do agree all other things are equal. Before going crazy and towing stuff much heavier than recommended, I would check with your insurance documents to see if you are still covered if you exceed GVW.

I personally tow a 28' travel trailer with my pathy. Its 4500lbs dry, about 5500lbs loaded. Becuase its a long trailer, it does exert a fair amount of force on our vehicle, so in high winds you definitely feel it. I use a WD hitch, so tongue weight is not a factor, though it is well under the 600lbs allowed (prob close to 300lbs)

Trailer brakes and more than enough engine power mean that gradeability is not an issue (hills). However, I do notice that I have to drive with O/D off, otherwise it hunts quite a bit. I would like to install a tranny oil temp gauge to monitor this, as O/D does heat up the tranny fluid quite a bit. I'd like to keep O/D on when on the long flat roads here in Manitoba.

Bottom line, its up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Trailer brakes are a must, and you just have to drive carefully. Other than the insurance concerns, I say give it a try.

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”