AirLift Installation Queston

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

SilverGhost

AirLift Installation Queston

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:22 pm

For those of you who have done the AirLift install, does anyone have photos of how and where you mounted the schrader valve(s)? I'm considering two options, but just wondered how others did it.

pearl62

Postby pearl62 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:16 pm

I used a single valve and put mine on the trailer harness bracket.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:27 pm

By the way, I just ordered the Firestone Coil-Rite kit. Why? 'Cause AirLift wouldn't warranty their suggested kit for my 2WD (according to them, the 4WD kit isn't compatible, and they don't offer a 2WD kit.) Firestone, on the other hand, recommends and warrantees the same kit for both applications. $90, out the door, WITH sales tax, I pick up at my local Houston store.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing-Tools ... pn=FIR4166

pearl62

Postby pearl62 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:34 pm

There are different spring heights between 2WD and 4WD models. I used the Kia Sorrento kit from Airlift as others on the site have used...

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:18 pm

I used the Kia AifLift kit as well. I went with separate air lines, as I guessed that this would help more with roll stability than a single line which would allow air to flow between bags.

Just behind each of the rear wheels, the plastic body curves under and there is a (more or less) horizontal edge. I just drilled a hole in each side for the schrader valves, with the valve pointing towards the ground. It's really convenient to access, but completely unnoticible at the same time.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:43 pm

LittleStevie wrote:I used the Kia AifLift kit as well. I went with separate air lines, as I guessed that this would help more with roll stability than a single line which would allow air to flow between bags.

Just behind each of the rear wheels, the plastic body curves under and there is a (more or less) horizontal edge. I just drilled a hole in each side for the schrader valves, with the valve pointing towards the ground. It's really convenient to access, but completely unnoticible at the same time.
I'm considering using the existing drain holes (?) in the plastic bumper, the ones at the bottom corners of the opening for the hitch itself. They're pretty small, so I'd have to drill them out. I couldn't decide if those points might be strong enough, but I suspect that the points you used are about the same. If I go with that, my valves, like yours, would be pointed downward. Also, they would both be in the same general location, making it easier to check and fill both at the same time.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:12 pm

I bent a piece of 1" wide flat steel, bent it 90", and attached it with one of the threaded holes in the hitch for the 7-pin wire harness. I'm still using the four pin harness so these holes were available. The hardest part was finding a metric bolt that fit the threads. I'd take a picture, but the PF is not around right now.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:25 pm

08Datsun wrote:I bent a piece of 1" wide flat steel, bent it 90", and attached it with one of the threaded holes in the hitch for the 7-pin wire harness. I'm still using the four pin harness so these holes were available. The hardest part was finding a metric bolt that fit the threads. I'd take a picture, but the PF is not around right now.
What bolt size did you use? I know that it's an M8, 1.0 thread, but I've yet to find one that feels like it fits right. For the moment, I have one with "standard threads" that's 20mm long. It seems to bottom out, though, before being fully threaded in. Maybe the threads in the bottom of the hitch are dirty, causing the bolt to bind. I'll clean 'em up tomorrow and try again. For what it's worth, the "fine thread" version of that bolt doesn't work at all. It will barely start to thread into the hole.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Oddly enough, I'm pretty certain that the bolt was from my old Datsun KingCab, a truck that was highly modified so that even 20 years later, I have bits and pieces of it around. I think it was about 20mm long like yours, but it went all the way in. I don't know what threading it is. When it worked, I just popped it in there.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:27 am

I just drilled a hole in the bumper cover about 6" to the left of the hitch, pointing down. I like having it back there as I can just plug my 12V air pump into the lighter plug in the cargo area of the truck and adjust pressure. It's also nice to have it back there when hitching/unhitching trailers so I can adjust pressure.

markspath

Re: AirLift Installation Queston

Postby markspath » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:31 am

SilverGhost wrote:For those of you who have done the AirLift install, does anyone have photos of how and where you mounted the schrader valve(s)? I'm considering two options, but just wondered how others did it.
I put mine here:
That's the Nissan 7-pin trailer wiring connector option. I drilled a hole in the bracket, although others have just removed one of the bolts and installed the valve there.

crewcabrob

Postby crewcabrob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:01 pm

That's Perfect! I'm going to put mine there as well. Thanks for the photo.

Rob

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”