2010 PF??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

SilverGhost

2010 PF??

Postby SilverGhost » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Will the R51 be offered in its current config for the '10 model year? My research has come up dry. Going back to year-old news, there was talk of Nissan reverting to a uni-body crossover format for the PF. We're into the fifth year of the current version, so we're due for a major change. Toyota is doing the uni-body Venza, so I gotta believe that the 4-Runner is on its way out.

I've visited three dealerships in three days, and their inventories are basically 10 Murano's (shudder!) to 1 PF. I'm considering buying an '09 PF, but not if it's the last of a dying breed. Anybody got any clues on our PF's future?

Npath

Re: 2010 PF??

Postby Npath » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:00 pm

SilverGhost wrote:I'm considering buying an '09 PF, but not if it's the last of a dying breed. Anybody got any clues on our PF's future?
AFAIK, nothing has really changed.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:45 am

I'm not sure we're due for a major redesign yet. I don't believe the Pathfinder is on a 5 year design cycle, someone correct me if I'm wrong. There's a good chance the next Path is a uni-body, but when it comes out is probably further than 2010.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 am

AZ_Path wrote:I'm not sure we're due for a major redesign yet. I don't believe the Pathfinder is on a 5 year design cycle, someone correct me if I'm wrong. There's a good chance the next Path is a uni-body, but when it comes out is probably further than 2010.
Nissan has officially stated that it is changing the entire lineup around the 2010 time frame, although they have yet to announce what changes those might be. I think they are wisely eyeballing the market/economy until the last possible pre-production second before they commit to new designs.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:55 am

I haven't heard a thing, but I could easily imagine them making the "Pathfinder" just the up-trim'ed version of the Murano or XTerra. Just doesn't make sense to have so many SUV lines these days, nobody's buying them and they sell more Muranos than Path, XTerra, and Armada combined.

http://www.nissannews.com/assets/attachments/Feb.09.pdf

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:07 pm

RacerZX wrote:I haven't heard a thing, but I could easily imagine them making the "Pathfinder" just the up-trim'ed version of the Murano or XTerra. Just doesn't make sense to have so many SUV lines these days, nobody's buying them and they sell more Muranos than Path, XTerra, and Armada combined.

http://www.nissannews.com/assets/attachments/Feb.09.pdf
Wow, interesting numbers.
Based on the numbers, the Pathfinder has the least % drop of the Frontier/Armada/Xterra/Titan. Also, Only the Pathfinder and Frontiers are still sold worldwide. So, in my opinion, the Pathfinder will stay around a bit longer.

If I was a Nissan executive:
Get rid of Xterra and make the Pathfinder do what the Xterra can do, i.e. stay body-on-frame, dump the IRS and go solid axle, plus bring on the diesel, make the rear seats/3rd row seats a little more comfortable (i.e. LR3).
Get rid of the Armada and bring in the Patrol for the high-end market, with diesel as well. The Patrol is a a far better vehicle than the Armada.
Get rid of the Titan. Too much competition from Toyota/Ford/Dodge.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:41 pm

Yeah, having three different body-on-frame SUVs in this market is suicide IMHO. Ditch the Armada, make a cheap "X" version of the Pathfinder to replace the XTerra, and make them all available with Diesel finally for the love of god! :D

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:29 am

ragpaoa wrote:If I was a Nissan executive:
Get rid of Xterra and make the Pathfinder do what the Xterra can do, i.e. stay body-on-frame, dump the IRS and go solid axle, plus bring on the diesel, make the rear seats/3rd row seats a little more comfortable (i.e. LR3).
No way on going solid rear axle, the IRS is much better for handling and vehicle safety.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 am

Get rid of Xterra and make the Pathfinder do what the Xterra can do,
Yes, merge the 2. But, the X was a huge hit & it wouldn't surprise me if Nissan redesigns it again to attract new buyers, especially since it can regain the top spot again after the demise of the FJ Cruiser. I'd still prefer a mix between the two though, maybe something along the lines of the old (rugged) Toyota Landcruiser.
plus bring on the diesel, make the rear seats/3rd row seats a little more comfortable (i.e. LR3).
They so need a diesel option. As to the 3rd row, I say just make the stupid things optional like many other mfrs. Of course, if you live in the greatest breeding state like I do, every dealer only carries vehicles w/3rd rows. Still, I would not order one with a 3rd row & would love to see that optional.
Get rid of the Armada and bring in the Patrol for the high-end market, with diesel as well. The Patrol is a a far better vehicle than the Armada.
Get rid of the Titan. Too much competition from Toyota/Ford/Dodge.
Last I heard, inside rumours were pointing to the death of the Armada real soon, probably this upcoming product changeover. And from what I've read, the Titan is the worst selling of all the trucks out there. Should be interesting to see what they do.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 am

Toyota is killing the FJ after only a few year run? Wow, that's gotta hurt the bottom line a bit...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:00 pm

RacerZX wrote:Toyota is killing the FJ after only a few year run? Wow, that's gotta hurt the bottom line a bit...
It's all speculation at this point. Toyota says no, but a bunch of inside sources are saying yes. Who knows. Seems like a pretty hot selling car. And WTF, the fjcruiser forums have like 17,000 members last I looked. If the PF sells thousands a month, we should have more members.

dmasini

Postby dmasini » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:54 am

I read the European model Pathy's won't get a complete redesign until 2012. A mild facelift is the only thing they're doing for the 2010. Looks to me only front and rear bumper changes and side mirror changes. Not sure if this is just for the Euro models or if they're global...

Article and pics

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:04 am

Well here in the Mid east, the Patrol is famous, some local boys ova here probably live by their Patrols!!
Apart from that, from what ive read on line, Nissan might announce what platform the Pathy is headed by 2010 and probably bring it in by 2011..The Armada and the infiniti QX56 are indeed a dying breed, and probably will be discontinued, to be replaced by the new Patrol. Ive seen spy pics of this vehicle and it looks like a mix between a Pathy (from front) and a Landcruiser. The current generation of the Patrol never made it to the US cos of the Utilitarian look. Although rest assured it will be headed to the US this time around.
I could post pics of the spy shots but then again Nissan made a big fuss when the pics got out since it was only meant for a few ' VIP customers' and selected public inorder to get a feed back of the design.
But engine specifications are still only speculations although the sources they come from work very closely with Nissan Middle East, but goes like this, new 3.0 V6 Diesel Engine to have roughly 270 Bhp with close to 401lb/ft of torque, engine co-developed with Renault and Nissan.
A revision of the current 4800cc VTC engine or most probably gonna be a retuned verision of the VQ40
And lastly a monster 5.6 V8 to take on the new toyota. Agian i cannot confirm any of this but the sources are quite good.

I personally dont want the Pathy to revert back to a Uni Body, but then again even if it does, Nissan said that it still has heritage and reputaion to live up to so even the uni body will still be good off road..

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:35 am

Sounds like good news from what you are telling us. It makes more sense to bring in the Patrol with a new look to replace the Armada. Worldwide, the Pathfinder and the Patrol are good sellers and have specific niches, so they won't merge the two and will most likely stay around for a while.
No way on going solid rear axle, the IRS is much better for handling and vehicle safety.
Depends, the Pathfinder is a truck, and IRS on a truck does not provide any real advantages. My Lexus GX470 has a solid rear, and handles just as good if not better on and off-road (stock) and just as safe as my Pathfinder. Landcruisers, 4-runners, Patrol ... all solid rear axles.

Lastly, the body-on-frame is still better for the Pathfinder. Yes, the Uni-body can still off-road well, but the body-on-frame is still stronger. Also, I was talking to the ARB bumper engineers. They love the body-on-frame vehicles when it comes to installing a Bull-bar and winch. They tell me that the Uni-body style SUV does not have the strength to handle the load and were very happy that Nissan borught back the body-on-frame to the Pathfinders. I hope they don't change it.

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:20 pm

LittleStevie wrote:
That's why Nissan cannot combine Xterra and Pathfinder. People who have more active...or outdoor oriented lifestyle want to go to places where regular cars/stock suv cannot go. Poeple who buy Xterra for this purpose are more likely to take their vehicles to real off-roading where articulation from solid axle shines, and modify their vehicles. They don't want to spend $30k and do solid axle conversion. They want to spend less and modify it to suit their needs. On the other hand, people who buy today's Pathfinder want better handling and comfort...along with more safety features. Those two vehicles are targeted towards 2 different type of people. (Of course, there are always people who are in-between...)

I don't think much will change for 2010 model Pathfinders, but I would not be surprised if Hybrid Pathfinders are announced in the future. Nissan is putting more efforts in developing better hybrid (or pure electric) vehicles than increasing gas mileages on gasoline-only engines...from what I hear.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”