Vibration in the front when not on the gas and no 4LO.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Ride2Live

Vibration in the front when not on the gas and no 4LO.

Postby Ride2Live » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Has anyone experienced this?

I have a 2006 SE4X4 with 54k on it. My wife came home the other day and said that the truck would vibrate when she let off the gas. She said it was at 40mph.

I checked the tire pressure and a couple were slightly off so I aired them up to exact pressure and it seemed better. Well the vibration came back and so I thought it was the tires, the stock long trails were at the wear bars so I put a set of General Grabber HTS's on which the truck road very smooth home from the tire dealer.

Then today on my way home the truck started again very noticeable vibration when not on the gas. You put power on and no vibration take your foot off and it's very noticeable.

So I pulled off into a field by our development and put in 4WD road down a straight grass field nothing out of the norm, just listening for any noises or anything. So I put it in 4LO and nothing! no 4LO, so I put it in N then Park, tried to select 4LO again and then the truck started an audible constant sound a 4wd light lit up in the corner or the instruments and the normal LCD that displays the 2wd/4wd status went blank.

I was not moving when this alarm type sound played. I put the truck in park, shut it off waited a few seconds started it up. I moved it back into 2wd then put it in drive and everything seems OK, however it will not go into 4LO and still has a vibration in the front? Any ideas? The only reason I put it in 4LO was for diagnosis, I have never run the truck in 4LO for anything, just 4WD on snow covered roads.

I certainly hope the drivetrain is still under warranty, I know bumper to bumper was done at 36k.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Pete

Ride2Live

Update - Going to the dealer Mon. or Tue.

Postby Ride2Live » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:35 pm

I pulled the truck back out again today to see if this issue magically cleared up.

It's still there :( I pulled out on the road put it in 4wd it engaged. Drove it 50 ft. then stopped put it in park switched to 4LO put it in drive and got that audible sound again, a 4wd light came on and the lcd goes blank. Put it in park, shut it off, wait 10 sec. Start it back up and everything clears. The truck goes back into 2wd and is able to move again.

I will say that the PF is a great truck except for the reliability issues so far which are a bad fuel (P0463) sending unit, emissions (P0455) valve, and now something with the drive train.

I have taken meticulous care of this truck only putting the best of everything in it during maintenance intervals.

It is still covered under warranty and will be going in early next week.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Update - Going to the dealer Mon. or Tue.

Postby disallow » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Ride2Live wrote:I pulled the truck back out again today to see if this issue magically cleared up.

It's still there :( I pulled out on the road put it in 4wd it engaged. Drove it 50 ft. then stopped put it in park switched to 4LO put it in drive and got that audible sound again, a 4wd light came on and the lcd goes blank. Put it in park, shut it off, wait 10 sec. Start it back up and everything clears. The truck goes back into 2wd and is able to move again.

I will say that the PF is a great truck except for the reliability issues so far which are a bad fuel (P0463) sending unit, emissions (P0455) valve, and now something with the drive train.

I have taken meticulous care of this truck only putting the best of everything in it during maintenance intervals.

It is still covered under warranty and will be going in early next week.
In the maintenance history of my 2005 pathfinder, they replaced the impeller shaft in the 4wd system. Not sure what the failure mode is, but perhaps worth a check?

t

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:56 pm

sorry never come accross something like this but its something you should def look into..

cbsmith

Postby cbsmith » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:49 am

The transmission should be in Neutral to shift into 4LO, not Park. Not sure if that is part fo your problem or not.

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm

cbsmith wrote:The transmission should be in Neutral to shift into 4LO, not Park. Not sure if that is part fo your problem or not.
Thanks man, WOW I feel like a dumb @$$ now. It has no problem going into 4LO when properly engaged :oops: . I guess I should of stopped and started a little slower, maybe read the manual again!

The issue is still very prevalent. I'm going to take the front tires off and do a visual of the brakes and look around before heading to the dealer this week.

It's just different I never experienced this one. You can run it up to 80 and it's smooth. Let off the gas and when it gets down around 40 it vibrates.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Pete

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Sounds like some sorta drive line binding..Check the brakes may be..if not them i mite move onto the shafts..

trance34

Postby trance34 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 am

It's the driveshaft/propeller shaft. Mine did this and it is covered under the drivetrain warranty. Save yourself the time and just take it in.

Ride2Live

Update - Vibration When Not on the GAS

Postby Ride2Live » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 pm

trance34 wrote:It's the driveshaft/propeller shaft. Mine did this and it is covered under the drivetrain warranty. Save yourself the time and just take it in.
Vibration was from a bad u-joint in the rear driveshaft. I am out of town this week so my wife took the truck in yesterday. I called and spoke with the service manager prior to the appt.

The U-Joints were covered and the service manager said that they would definitely contact Nissan regarding the P0455 and P0463 codes.

Nissan picked up the tab, they replaced the U-joint, fuel sending unit, and fixed the Po455 Evap code by installing the valve kit mod.

It was good to see Nissan stand by their product.

driftedoffroad

Re: Update - Vibration When Not on the GAS

Postby driftedoffroad » Mon May 10, 2010 8:21 am

Ride2Live wrote:

Nissan picked up the tab, they replaced the U-joint, fuel sending unit, and fixed the Po455 Evap code by installing the valve kit mod.

It was good to see Nissan stand by their product.
Glad to see they hooked you up. I have already replaced a few u-joints on my truck and also the sending unit...now I have the p0455 code lol. Just curious did they put that kit in according to the bulletin or did they just replace the solenoid vent valve?

Thanks

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed May 19, 2010 11:54 am

I still need to get a chance to do mine. It was a little noisy before vacation, then had a emergency stop that spun the tires on the rims. Got the tires rebalanced Monday and the drive shaft is having the same indications as Ride2Live. Now I have to find time to do it. Of course I have another long weekend coming, so it won't get done then. I hate to pay to get it done, when I have the tools. I just don't have any time with family life going on. I need some Nissan time.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”