Squeaky suspension

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Squeaky suspension

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:05 am

Last weekend, during a 4 day mostly off road jaunt, I had squeaking suspension from hell. I was driving it enough to isolate it to the passenger side front, as it would only squeak when driving in a straight line, or when pulling all the weight off the passenger side by making tight right turns. If I made tight left turns, with all the weight hitting the passenger side, no squeak. It sounds like either a bushing or the spring is rubbing back and forth a tiny bit when flexed. Whatever the case might be, I don't know if the dealer will even look at it since it is OME & not OEM.

I don't notice it in the city, so I may just forget about it until the spring, which probably means Death Valley. If I haven't figured out anything by then, I'll have the group (hopefully those who joined in last year) have a listen. In the meantime, I'm going to pick up a can of silicone spray and give a liberal dose to all the likely squeaky spots & see if that helps. Has anyone with the OME had something similar happen? How about those without?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:30 pm

OME, told the dealership about my low speed squeaking (in reverse) they replaced the rear DS and made no mention of my OME. Then again it wasn't suspension related. You could luck out. The last 2 dealerships didn't even notice. Then again the OME makes the wheel well gap to tire size ratio look more like the stock 245/75r16s than the 31.6"s I have currently mounted.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Fofiddy wrote:The last 2 dealerships didn't even notice.
I always seem to end up with the same guy at my dealership, and he's like a broken record. Every 3,000 miles I hear "did you put a lift in that thing?" I'll give them a shot, but I'm not hopeful. I have to take it in anyway because of my transmission lurching from 2nd-3rd when cold, so they may as well try and find the squeak as well. I'd rather glue my tongue to the wall than go to the damned dealership, but what else is one to do with a warranty?

AZRoushStang

Postby AZRoushStang » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:43 pm

Here is something to consider:

I thought I had a suspension squeak as well. Well after a couple of trips of not being able to duplicate the problem at the dealership and the bumber-to-bumber warranty being up, I spent an hour in the garage playing with it. This was after I started hearing it when the doors closed.

I could grab the roof rack and move the Path side to side and get the squeak to happen. Well I tried to see if I could hear it better with the hood up....The problem was that when I lifted the hood, the noise was GONE. So I played around for awhile and sure enough...hood up/no squeak.

Turns out either the bump stops for the hood, or hood latch is the squeaky thing...sprayed both with a lubricant and the noise was GONE for good...well actually the lubricant wears off, but I know what is causing it, just need to get in there to check it out again to see what I can do more permanently.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:51 pm

NVSteve wrote:
Fofiddy wrote:The last 2 dealerships didn't even notice.
I'd rather glue my tongue to the wall than go to the damned dealership, but what else is one to do with a warranty?
Steve -

Yeah, you're right. But, you're a "Salty," so a trip to the "Stealer" has gotta be a comparative piece o'cake, dang it! :wink:

GOTTI

Postby GOTTI » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:42 pm

AZRoushStang wrote:Here is something to consider:

I thought I had a suspension squeak as well. Well after a couple of trips of not being able to duplicate the problem at the dealership and the bumber-to-bumber warranty being up, I spent an hour in the garage playing with it. This was after I started hearing it when the doors closed.

I could grab the roof rack and move the Path side to side and get the squeak to happen. Well I tried to see if I could hear it better with the hood up....The problem was that when I lifted the hood, the noise was GONE. So I played around for awhile and sure enough...hood up/no squeak.

Turns out either the bump stops for the hood, or hood latch is the squeaky thing...sprayed both with a lubricant and the noise was GONE for good...well actually the lubricant wears off, but I know what is causing it, just need to get in there to check it out again to see what I can do more permanently.
I had the same squeak problem in mine and it drove me absolutely nuts. I also narrowed down to the hood. I found out what it is. I sprayed silicone spray on the gasket that goes along the underneath the hood the length of the grill. What i am figuring is that sand gets in there and squeaks or just the rubber on the chrome grille is the squeaking.

graftoon

Postby graftoon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:54 pm

wow thanks for investigating this, as my 05 pathy aslo had this noise, i gave up, till i read this post and immediatly went down and eliminated this nusense. thanks again :)))

GOTTI

Postby GOTTI » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Cool glad I could help. I only found this after I sprayed silicone on all my suspension components, bushings etc... I was going nuts from that squeeking sound.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”